You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel president Shimon Peres accuses Britain of pro-Arab bias

JER

Can people stop calling it a war please?

One of the most powerful military raining down death from land, sea and air against a penned in, glorified refugee camp with no defence is not war.

It is slaughter.

But...but...but they have rockets....that are designed to kill people..... it's all ies....

Yehudi Menuhin, one of my fave Jews, must have been anti-semitic then.  He stood in front of the Knesset and denounced Israel's sub-human treatment of the Palestinians.  Despite travelling there twice, I've never met a decent Israeli.  They must exist, but they're complicit as they allow their government to ride roughshod over common human decency.  I wouldn't shed a tear if the lot of them perished.  They are an evil blight.

You can't mean that?

I'm vehemently anti-Israel.  They have caused no end of strife, death and destruction.  They have treated the population of a neighbouring state as sub-human for decades, and the oppression increases year on year.  They continually ignore calls for human rights to be acknowledged, and have ignored countless UN resolutions.  They are furnished with weapons by the US, and they are using these weapons to systematically wipe out civilian children, women and men in Palestine.  They are killing with impunity, in much the same way the Germans did with the Jews during world war two.  The rest of the world looks on in horror, but will not do anything about it.  They steal land from their neighbours, again with impunity.  The biggest and bloodiest mistake the West have made in centuries is to establish the state of Israel in the middle east.  Millions of people have paid a terrible price for decades, and unless something is done to bring these dogs to heel, it will only get worse.  

Place Israel somewhere where they can do no damage. 

• Upvote 3

Let's be very clear, the Israeli government has no intention of peace unless that involves them claiming the west bank and the Gaza strip.

Them becoming more of an international pariah is probably Palestine's best hope of stopping the oppression.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Stu Monty, on 29 Jul 2014 - 2:51 PM, said:

Let's be very clear, the Israeli government has no intention of peace unless that involves them claiming the west bank and the Gaza strip.

Them becoming more of an international pariah is probably Palestine's best hope of stopping the oppression.

Correct.

And I honestly believe some of them with have the Lebanon in their sights too. They only fully withdrew in 2000 after their invasion in 1982 and I'd be surprised if they've not at least thought about it.

Ah, I wondered how long it would take before the resort to labelling everyone opposed to Israel's policy towards the Palestinians as anti-semitic. Israel has long-relied on people not wanting to be called an anti-semite, or likened to Nazi sympathisers, to stifle debate or criticism. People need to see this for the jaded trick it is, and should strenghthen their resolve to protest.

It's a tactic for when Hasbara - an active policy to encourage Israeli's to promote Israel - fails.

You can't simply be abhorred by disproportionate violence and the murder of children. You're either anti-Semitic or support terrorism.

It's a tired, cheap and unsustainable argument. Shithouse tactic, losing the argument? Well, play the man instead of the ball.

Since WW2 ended there have been a minimum of 10 wars every 5 years. This has escalated since the 60s. So your little ditty about the world being at it's safest ever is really only from your own little perspective. Granted there may not be anything on the scale of the World wars but there have been a number of Genocides since WW2 so I wouldn't have considered it safe as you say.

Did you bother to read what I wrote? I specifically limited my comment to civilised nations, ie democracies, like the one we live in, which have never been safer at any other point in history.

Telling me to "Chill" when I'm watching pictures of dead woman and children at the hands of your mates in the IDF is the reason you got the response you got. It wasn't unprovoked so stop playing the same card the Isreali's are currently playing. Your not a victim, you brought it on yourself by your sheer ignorance and stupidity. Hopefully once you're out of puberty and the spots have cleared up you may start acting like an adult.

My mates in the IDF? What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

You're a fine one to talk about ignorance and stupidity if you think the IDF are my "mates", unless it was supposed to be a dig at my ethnic background.

I do have some sympathy for the Jewish State. They have been shat on for centuries and are surrounded by mortal enemies who constantly threaten and poke them.

Their treatment of Palestinian civilians can have little if any justification however.It strikes me like one of those abusers who was repeatedly bummed as a child and can't help but dish out the same treatment in later life. Makes them feel powerful I guess.

Doubtless certain factions would like the whole lot, but if Israel wants Gaza, why did they withdraw in 2005 and demolish their settlements there?

Strontium Dog, on 29 Jul 2014 - 4:32 PM, said:

Did you bother to read what I wrote? I specifically limited my comment to civilised nations, ie democracies, like the one we live in, which have never been safer at any other point in history.

My mates in the IDF? What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

You're a fine one to talk about ignorance and stupidity if you think the IDF are my "mates", unless it was supposed to be a dig at my ethnic background.

1 - Ah ok. Fair enough if you were limiting it to "civilised" democratic nations. I thought the U.S. and Israel were civil democratic nations though? Hard to tell from their behaviour and policies in relation to other countries and cultures.

2 - I know nothing of your ethnic background and to be honest I don't care. You're anti arab and more specifically anti muslim. You support Zionist criminals. I've decided add those things together as is my will, and conclude the IDF are your mates. May you remain content to enjoy the murder of those innocent civilians. As is your right.

1 - Ah ok. Fair enough if you were limiting it to "civilised" democratic nations. I thought the U.S. and Israel were civil democratic nations though? Hard to tell from their behaviour and policies in relation to other countries and cultures.

2 - I know nothing of your ethnic background and to be honest I don't care. You're anti arab and more specifically anti muslim. You support Zionist criminals. I've decided add those things together as is my will, and conclude the IDF are your mates. May you remain content to enjoy the murder of those innocent civilians. As is your right.

3. You forgot to mention that it's a football forum, one with relatively liberal rules on taking the piss, which he himself takes advantage of and, therefore, he should stop being such a bad, over sensitive quilt.

#FreeGaza!

• Downvote 1

Anti-Muslim? He's against all religions, that's no bad thing either.

Doubtless certain factions would like the whole lot, but if Israel wants Gaza, why did they withdraw in 2005 and demolish their settlements there?

Because Rome wasn't built in a day.

By certain factions you mean the main players running the country and the people that voted them into power, yes?

Anti-Muslim? He's against all religions, that's no bad thing either.

Some more so than others? I've not

noticed the same vitriol towards American Christian Fundamentalists as I have towards Arab Muslims. However that could be selective reading on my part I admit SD.

Some more so than others? I've not

noticed the same vitriol towards American Christian Fundamentalists as I have towards Arab Muslims. However that could be selective reading on my part I admit SD.

I would agree with that but would state that they generally do more high profile "being cunts" stuff that gets talked about, so maybe it's just there's more opportunity?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I would agree with that but would state that they generally do more high profile "being cunts" stuff that gets talked about, so maybe it's just there's more opportunity?

Well, their being cunts stuff gets more coverage by our shite media. Religious fundamental cunts are religious fundamental cunts are religious fundamental cunts. It's just us in the west hear about one brand much more than the other. We had two religious fundamentalist cunts kill a million, but we heard very little about their religious motivation.

Well, their being cunts stuff gets more coverage by our shite media. Religious fundamental cunts are religious fundamental cunts are religious fundamental cunts. It's just us in the west hear about one brand much more than the other. We had two religious fundamentalist cunts kill a million, but we heard very little about their religious motivation.

Fair point.

Not sure I genuinely think religion was high on their list of motivations though. Do you? Seriously?

Unless neoliberalism's a religion now.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Fair point.

Not sure I genuinely think religion was high on their list of motivations though. Do you? Seriously?

Unless neoliberalism's a religion now.

No, I really don't. I think it actually has fuck all to do with religion and much more to do with other factors. It has been my contention for a long time that, throughout history, people rarely act because of religion but because of other reasons. Some people are brainwashed by religious leaders with other motivations, but it amounts to the same thing; brainwashing happens in many different disciplines, as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes you just get money/power hungry fuckers who want their will to be enforced on others. It doesn't matter if it's the Romans or Al Qaeda, they're all really just doing it for their own motives. For me, blaming religion lets the little cunts off the hook.

• Upvote 1

Well, their being cunts stuff gets more coverage by our shite media. Religious fundamental cunts are religious fundamental cunts are religious fundamental cunts. It's just us in the west hear about one brand much more than the other..

Agreed, I just get a little pissed off that the news agenda is driven by the perspective of the politicians of the country you live in, or the politicians of the country who you're friends with. I understand people are only responding to the topic of conversation but despite that I don't think it's right that any intelligent person would go to town on one particular religious group (not particularly referencing SD) while knowing that other religions have their share of lunatics who do as much damage, in their own way, to the world.