You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Houllier must stay

Guest james

I can't believe there's reds out there who want Houllier out. It's becoming embarressing, are we turning into Everton? Back the manager ffs Houllier has done a fantastic job here and just needs more time. Pongolle, Diouf, Le Tallec, Baros, Kewell and Finnan are all good recent signings and next season I believe we will see the best of them. They've all shown potential. Even Cheyrou has shown what he can do this year. Biscan is improving, we've got 2 quality keepers, Semmy and Welsh coming through as well and the spoilt attitude of fans is baffling.

Gerrard gets better and if we can get 4th i'm sure Owen will stay but we need the stupid fans to get behind the team and stop all this negative bullshit and the witch-hunt. Its a disgrace to be honest.

We're only one or two players short IMO. We've had a horrendous run of injuries and we're short of confidence but next season I believe things will turn for us. Ciise will be a great signing and its Houllier who attracts these players to the club. Unfortunately whenenver we have a bad result its Houllier out cause people have made up their minds. Get behind the man, he's the best man for the job.

In ged we trust

Hmm.

"Pongolle, Diouf, Le Tallec, Baros, Kewell and Finnan are all good recent signings"

Correct. They indeed are all good signings.... all of whom the manager can not get to play to their potential.

All you've done there James is clearly state another reason as to why he should go today.

I can't believe there's reds out there who want Houllier out. It's becoming embarressing, are we turning into Everton? Back the manager ffs Houllier has done a fantastic job here and just needs more time.

So he took over a team that was constantly finishing in the top 4 and changed us in to a team that can challenge for the top 4? i'm not knocking the cup wins, but our bread and butter is nowhere near good enough, it wasn't for the last manager and I don't see how is can be for this one.

Pongolle, Diouf, Le Tallec, Baros, Kewell and Finnan are all good recent signings and next season I believe we will see the best of them. They've all shown potential. Even Cheyrou has shown what he can do this year. Biscan is improving, we've got 2 quality keepers, Semmy and Welsh coming through as well and the spoilt attitude of fans is baffling.

With most fans the quality of the players is not in dispute. It's the fact the players seem unable to play as a team. After 5 years this is unacceptable.

Gerrard gets better and if we can get 4th i'm sure Owen will stay but we need the stupid fans to get behind the team and stop all this negative bullshit and the witch-hunt. Its a disgrace to be honest.

You've just mentioned 2 of our 3 most consistent players over the 5 years the manager has been in charge. The 3rd is Carra. All at the club when he arrived, all come through the academy, so it's not exactly kudos to him and his other signings is it?

We're only one or two players short IMO. We've had a horrendous run of injuries and we're short of confidence but next season I believe things will turn for us. Ciise will be a great signing and its Houllier who attracts these players to the club. Unfortunately whenenver we have a bad result its Houllier out cause people have made up their minds. Get behind the man, he's the best man for the job.

In ged we trust

we've been saying we're only 1 or 2 players short since 2001. as for cisse, there is no proof he is going to make a big impact, ini fact there's no proof we've signed him.

If you think he's the best man for the job, you're entitled to your opinions. I do not think he's the right man for the job and i'm entitled to voice mine.

"Pongolle, Diouf, Le Tallec, Baros, Kewell and Finnan are all good recent signings"

Correct. They indeed are all good signings.... all of whom the manager can not get to play to their potential."

Funny then that fans always go on about how is signings have been a crock of shite. That's the main stick used to beat him.

Pongille and Le Tallec - getting used to English football this season, will be better next season and beyond. Diouf - started off great this season but form dipped before he went off to the African nations. Summer off this time and no such interuptions next season and I think he'll do great. Baros - been injured most of the season FFS, Kewell started off great but has been playing with an injury and Finnan has done well but is settling in still.

Give Houllier next season when we can start to see the best of these players.

i think the "main stick to beat him with", is the ineptitude of the tactics for the last 18 months to 2 years. we have been going backwards. it even appears now he has lost the players.

i will give him till the end of the season, and we should get behind them till then, but then we need to answer some serious questions.

I'd be happy to give him another year IF he can get fourth and a good UEFA run by getting the team to produce good football consistently for the rest of the season.But that's a big IF and I'd say the odds are against it.

However I am not at all convinced that anyone new will do any better and in my view there's at least as much chance of his replacement doing worse.Which is why I think the Board will give him another year even if we finish fifth.

Fourtimes - the players always come out in support of him and say how its ridiculous the speculation he could lose his job. Are they liars? Is Gerrard lying when he says all the players are fully behind him?

Aws - we've been playing good football this season in alot of games but it takes time and this season is a transition one with tactics and that. The main problem has been the lack of strikers with so many injuries, when Pongolle comes on we create loads of chances generally, when Baros came on, on Sunday you could see the difference. That's why I think Cisse will have a big impact and combined with Owen, Diouf, Gerrard, Baros, Smicer and Kewell there'll be nothing wrong with our offensive play next season.

Guest bernadettes_prize_pigeon

Cheers James,

At last there is someone else out there who has not jumped on the bandwagon and still supports the man who completely changed the culture of our club and IMO made me proud to be a Liverpool fan.

Yes, I know he has made some poor signings (as all managers do)

Yes, I know his tactics are sometimes questionable and that he should adopt a more attacking approach.

However, I also think that he knows (as so does Alan Hansen) that our centre backs who are arguably brilliant defenders, lack pace and that if we go all guns blazing then a team with pace up front will rip us apart.

Therefore I think we should all hold back on our sack the manager remarks and support him and the team to push us to a place in the Champions League and possibly a UEFA Cup. Then we should see in GH trys to buy a centre half with pace in order to enable us the move forward and adopt a more attacking approach.

I understand that but if he'd lost the dressing room he'd be out by now. Do you think if Gerrard went to the chairmen and said 'Houllier really should go', or if Owen said 'i'm not signing a contract if Houllier stays', Moores would keep him?

The players are behind Houllier.

I agree with you Bern. I'd rather listen to what Hansen's got to say then St John or Lawrenson. We were after Boumsong whose a pacy centre half but he was money motivated and Houllier saw through him. He only wants players who want to play for Liverpool. I.e. Cisse.

Bern and james,

Are you really happy paying 30 quid a game to watch players who blatently cant be arsed (bar a couple of them) and dont give a fuck. as that what most have them have become under GH. it is a damn shame and i would wait till the end of the year, but to continue to say the players are behind him etc is blindfolded.

plus it doesnt help when they havent got a clue what tactics the manager is trryin to persue?

Do you REALLY think michael owen is happy here under houllier with these tactics? it only neds you to look at him on a match day for the answer.

Heskey at left mid for god sake? and it is not just a one off, he is being stubborn and trying to prove himself right.

I agree with "support" but lets not be blinkered and let our club fall so far behind we never get back.

As I say, we definitley need a seriously hard look at the end of the year whether we make the ever fucking precious 4th place. (which i am also fed up of hearing about, it is embarrassing)

Fourtimes - the players always come out in support of him and say how its ridiculous the speculation he could lose his job. Are they liars? Is Gerrard lying when he says all the players are fully behind him?

Aws - we've been playing good football this season in alot of games but it takes time and this season is a transition one with tactics and that. The main problem has been the lack of strikers with so many injuries, when Pongolle comes on we create loads of chances generally, when Baros came on, on Sunday you could see the difference. That's why I think Cisse will have a big impact and combined with Owen, Diouf, Gerrard, Baros, Smicer and Kewell there'll be nothing wrong with our offensive play next season.

I agree with all your points except that I've got this feeling that ( just as he has with the fans )GH has lost the majority of the dressing room.I'd like him to prove otherwise by getting them to perform to their ability for the next 15-20 matches.That's not expecting too much,is it?If he can't do it now,then why should he be able to do it next year?

I think Ged has done a fantastic job as Manager, he has built an excellent squad and won some trophies, but I want him out. His tactics are beyond frustrating, we have a team that could easily challenge at the top but the reason we don't is because the mind set of the team is to contain rather than attack, the patient passing game is no good if you don't attack with purpose....... personally, I've seen enough! We got what we deserved at Portsmouth because Ged didn't send the team out with the instructions to rip them apart which is what we are more than capable of, he sent them out and told them to be cautious......F#CK OFF!!! It doesn't work. I understand we need to play like that against some top sides but Portsmouth, Man City????? Give me a break. This has gone on for far too long, Ged, thanks, but its time to go.

PS. Hamman and Henchoz are also up there with Carra, Michael and Steven as the most consistent players in recent years, in fact I'd put Didi top of the list and Ged did sign them two. IMO he should not be criticised continually for his signings, on the whole they have been first class, its getting the best out of them were he struggles......the new manager will be rubbing his hands together when he arrives.

I think Houllier has lost the dressing room... Just look at the players performance. Still players are loyal, and of course they will come out and say they support the manager.

In Norway the national team played like utter shite, and could`nt even score at the grafton. John Arne Riise, amongst others, then came out and said the boss was the best one for the job, and that it was up to the players to get it right.. Then they changed manager, and suddenly they scored 16 goals in their first 4 games games. And the players then praised the new coach, and said how good it was to play under a coach who dared to attack and that used players in their right positions.

Sounds familiar??

Clearly it`s time for a change!

I think Ged has done a fantastic job as PS. Hamman and Henchoz are also up there with Carra, Michael and Steven as the most consistent players in recent years, in fact I'd put Didi top of the list and Ged did sign them two. IMO he should not be criticised continually for his signings, on the whole they have been first class, its getting the best out of them were he struggles......the new manager will be rubbing his hands together when he arrives.

while i agree hamman and steph have both been excelent siginings, it took hamman best part of 18 months before he looked a decent player, up until then he looked lazy and uninterested (in fact it seemed to take signing biscan to give him a rocket imo). i'd agree about henchoz, but i'd still put owen, gerrard and carra in front of him.

Good thread. I don't think any of us will really know if GH has "lost the dressing room". If he has, you can't have SG or Owen saying so- it would cause havoc and make us the laughing stock in the press. Players play, Managers manage and the Board hires and fires. It's a hieerarcy and it has to be followed.

The majority of GH signings have, at one time or another, produced good results. Even Heskey had a good year; Riise had a good run, Biscan improved and despite the ALT horror show at Pompey, there is potential.

However, is he the one to get to the next level? To use TomR Ferrari analogy, we have all the parts, we just need someone to assembly them properly.

Guest red vespa

James

ARE YOU ON DRUGS ????

at the min we are an embarrasment !!!!! i came out of fratton park on sunday with my head down in shame at what we have become it was a total disgrace

I'd backed Houllier on the proviso that we make CL and improve the style of play this season. Man City at home was the game when I gave up on him. He has all his attacking players back but is still reluctant to attack, Heskey playing as a sweeper almost in recent games. He has run out of excuses, he has run out of time. The board may still back him but the fans will sack him. The atmosphere at home games will get worse until the point where the board have no option but to change the manager. His contract expires at the end of next season, they are making no public attempt to re-new it. How much confidence do they have in him? He must go in the summer, CL or not.

The players are not helping. Gerrard and Carragher seem to be the only one's with any commitment, but even they don't urge the rest on. Stevie leads by example only, as a leader he can't compare to Emlyn, Tommy Smith or Souness.

I agree Hermes, it comes to something when the away support is as unsupportive as it has been in recent games. I honestly think he has lost 95% of the fans now, the board can't and won't ignore that. If a manager has lost that much support from the crowd, surely its not all rosey in the playing quarters? I stayed in the players hotel on Saturday night, although my passing them in the corridor/restaurant a few times isn't exactly knowing how they feel, I can honestly say none of them looked happy, there was a tense atmosphere following them everywhere.

The only bright spark from Sunday was Baros' enthusiasm and will to attack when he came on, but how long till that is dragged out of him?