You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Android thread

Stu Monty

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since updating th firmware, there doesn't seem to be an option to switch between 2g and 3g. Ideally there would be a switch like the wi-fi and bluetooth switches, seems to make a massive difference with signal quality and battery life. Any recommended apps for this?

Just got myself the Desire.

It's a brilliant piece of kit. I was stuck with o2 (get a discount on their broadband and the missus is on o2 with unlimited calls) who are a bit more expensive than the rest of the providers out there, but still got myself a decent deal and only on a 18month contract too.

I've only got 500mb internet allowance, although I don't mind that too much as I'm on wireless at work, home, gf's and mum and dads. So i'm pretty much on wireless 90% of the time. That 3g watchdog looks like a great app though so i'll keep my eye on my usage over the next couple of months.

One thing I have noticed is the battery life drains quite quickly. I think i've had less than 2 days out of it before it needed charging again. Any apps out there that conserve the battery a little better?

Put the widgets for turning 3G, WiFi, GPRS, and Bluetooth on your homescreen and turn them off when you don't need them.

Also, a tip that I read somewhere (and I don't know why I never thought of this before) is have a darker background as your wallpaper because it takes less power to draw a dark background than a light one.

I recently upgraded to the Desire Z, and have been tweaking bits here and there. As DS mentions above, the on/off Widget for 3G, WiFi, GPRS and Bluetooth is damn handy, and also having the brightness set to the lowest possible setting will conserve some power.

Other simple things like toning down screen animations and switching off the notifications LED will increase battery life, as well as reducing the screen timeout to 30 seconds or so.

I also have my Power Saver set to kick in at 25% battery life, rather than the default 15/20%.

I do have a question of my own as well. Does anyone run an Anti Virus app on their phone? If so, which one? I'm currently using Lookout which seems to be pretty decent, but I'm sure someone, somewhere, may have another recommendation.

Put the widgets for turning 3G, WiFi, GPRS, and Bluetooth on your homescreen and turn them off when you don't need them.

Also, a tip that I read somewhere (and I don't know why I never thought of this before) is have a darker background as your wallpaper because it takes less power to draw a dark background than a light one.

How do you get these widgets? Bluetooth and Wifi I have already. Maybe I can't get them on the Hero?

Also I heard something about stopping push notifications. Any advice on what they are and how to block them if it is a good idea?

How do you get these widgets? Bluetooth and Wifi I have already. Maybe I can't get them on the Hero?

Also I heard something about stopping push notifications. Any advice on what they are and how to block them if it is a good idea?

You defo can, mate; I had them all on my one.

Just go to add widget and then you go to add settings widget and just pick the one you want. You'll get the little on/off switch for GPS/3G.

Push notifications are stuff like email & Facebook notifications. I think you can turn them all off via the actual app and then just manually check for notifications whenever you want.

As Ted mentioned, you should already have the Power Control Widget(s), but in case you don't, here's a nice little barcode for you to scan:

Free Power Widget

at.abraxas.powerwidget.free?install=web

These other widgets will cost you, but allow greater customisation:

Power Control Plus

com.siriusapplications.eclairwidgets?install=web

Extended Controls

com.extendedcontrols?install=web

Download a barcode scanner application via Market, and these handy QR barcodes can be scanned so you are taken straight to an application ready to download.

Got it, just downloaded lookout. Virus protection software and when you register you can go to the website and locate or make you phone emit a siren sound remotely from the website. Fantastic if you leave you phone lying around on silent like i tend to do. Very cool app.

You defo can, mate; I had them all on my one.

Just go to add widget and then you go to add settings widget and just pick the one you want. You'll get the little on/off switch for GPS/3G.

Push notifications are stuff like email & Facebook notifications. I think you can turn them all off via the actual app and then just manually check for notifications whenever you want.

Since upgrading to 2.1 loads of my settings options seem to be missing. I already tried the above and don't get the option for 3G. Come to mention it, it's not even in my settings any more at all. I expect when I get the second part of the update this should be rectified.

Those push notifications must be what's raping my battery at the moment. another fuck up with 2.1 is that even when in airplane mode it keeps on opening and trying to update 2-8 applications with no instruction to do so, so even when killing all tasks and locking my phone, 10 minutes later 4+ apps are open.

There are a couple niggles that are as annoying as shit, but as soon as I sort them I am finally going to be getting some good use out of the Hero.

As Ted mentioned, you should already have the Power Control Widget(s), but in case you don't, here's a nice little barcode for you to scan:

Free Power Widget

at.abraxas.powerwidget.free?install=web

These other widgets will cost you, but allow greater customisation:

Power Control Plus

com.siriusapplications.eclairwidgets?install=web

Extended ControlsCheers mate, I'll give that a whirl when I am in a wi-fi area.

com.extendedcontrols?install=web