You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Android thread

Stu Monty

And on the down side, no regulation of downloadable applications means that the Android store is full of badly written virus riddled apps. Big Brother isn't always a bad thing. Apple's closed system has lots of benefits, it's just cool to complain when "the man" says "you can't do this". I never had a single problem with an application on my iPhone, and plenty on my Desire.

Yeah, but reading a couple reviews should weed out most of the crap. I just like being able to choose what I want, not have some greater authority regulate what apps I have just because they can.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but reading a couple reviews should weed out most of the crap. I just like being able to choose what I want, not have some greater authority regulate what apps I have just because they can.

Reading a couple of reviews? Most of the apps on the Android Marketplace don't even have a description, let alone reviews.

Apple regulate the apps so that they don't have people complaining about problems with their product caused by poorly written apps. Phone applications are all part of the user's experience and if they don't work, they reflect badly on the phone manufacturer and operating system developer.

Plus the majority of phone users don't fuck about installing apps off the internet, they just install them off the app store. Apple has made it very straightforward.

I am in a bit of a purgatory stage with my Hero. I got the latest firmware the Hero would give me; Eclair 2.1 but said something about coming in 2 parts and the second part would be available from 1-14 days. It's been well over 2 weeks now, but the second half is still to materialise. There are things I cannot get now that were available on 1.5, the biggest one being the ability to amend 2 and 3g settings. No problem I thought, I'll just download the widget that lets me switch between the 2 mentioned above. However, I don''t seem to be able to complete the download for any appropriate app. Any suggestions?

Is there any app I can add on the Desire HD, that will improve my browsing experience such as going on forums and reading websites? Because the writing is small and it's a cunt having to keep zooming and stuff.

forum runner. its a great little app. you have to buy it to be able to use all the functions (i think you can only read on the free one).

The desire is pretty much an old phone now and so it's gonna be pretty redundant soon. The HD is not actually that big. I have it a month now and its not cumbersome at all.

People keep on saying about the size of it, but I have not given it a thought. It fits in my pocket no problem. People talk as if it is iPad sized.

I cant access my uni email account on my phone. It's Sony X8 Android 2.1 and the email software is MS outlook that i access from the uni website yet when i try and open the page it says ' the application Browser (process com.android.browser) has stopped unexpectedly'

Can Android phone not use MS outlook?

I seem to have a problem with apps which are just starting by themselves. I use an app killer and if I leave my phone alone for a few minutes and run the app killer it tells me mail, twitter, mongbook etc are open, even though I haven't opened them and keep closing them down. Any ideas what might be causing this? This follows an OS update last week though I don't think it's related.

I've gotten rid of advanced task killer and got watchdog instead. From what i've been reading when you open task killer it shows all the opened apps but they aren't actually using up much energy on your phone and its bad for the phone to constantly close them.

What watchdog does is track them and if any of them are using a lot of phone memory then you can close them yourself.

The battery on my phone as been acting the exact same since i got rid of task killer, in fact it's been on longer for me.

I seem to have a problem with apps which are just starting by themselves. I use an app killer and if I leave my phone alone for a few minutes and run the app killer it tells me mail, twitter, mongbook etc are open, even though I haven't opened them and keep closing them down. Any ideas what might be causing this? This follows an OS update last week though I don't think it's related.

Read my above post, apps will nearly always be open but it's not draining your battery. Watchdog will show you how much they're using and if they get too high you can close them yourself or Watchdog will alert you to out of control apps. The whole scare behind a load of apps being open and draining your phone is a bit of a myth (unless they're bad apps.) and it's not good for your phone to be constantly closing them down.

Read my above post, apps will nearly always be open but it's not draining your battery. Watchdog will show you how much they're using and if they get too high you can close them yourself or Watchdog will alert you to out of control apps. The whole scare behind a load of apps being open and draining your phone is a bit of a myth (unless they're bad apps.) and it's not good for your phone to be constantly closing them down.

My battery was getting hammered til RiS mentioned the app killer, it's been fine since then. Today, with the apps seeming to load themselves, it's down to under 25% after a full charge last night. Something's murdering my battery today, can't think what it is if it's not the apps.

My battery was getting hammered til RiS mentioned the app killer, it's been fine since then. Today, with the apps seeming to load themselves, it's down to under 25% after a full charge last night. Something's murdering my battery today, can't think what it is if it's not the apps.

To be honest i'm no expert but if you download watchdog it will show you what app (if it is an app) thats eating your battery, it shows the percentage of use by the app in the CPU tab. Just download that and have a look, it may help.

It doesn't just show apps whats running, it shows everything thats running on your phone.

After further research, i have gone over to Watchdog. try it

Anyone know of anything like Applanet Thats Galaxy Europa friendly i want the full forum runner but am unable to by it.also want some other apps such as ez4 rooter etc. and App to sd im ouit of space with free apps haha the applanet thing wont work with my europa sadly.

To be honest i'm no expert but if you download watchdog it will show you what app (if it is an app) thats eating your battery, it shows the percentage of use by the app in the CPU tab. Just download that and have a look, it may help.

It doesn't just show apps whats running, it shows everything thats running on your phone.

After further research, i have gone over to Watchdog. try it

Following the initial misinformation supplied by RiS I'll now try Watchdog. Rest assured I'll be seeking advice from my legal team in all future cases of such misinformation.

Probably been mentioned before but Seek Droid is a brilliant app. Basically if you lose your phone you go on your computer and enter you name and password which you've setup, you can then locate your phone by GPS, it opens up a google map and shows you where it is.You don't need your GPS switched on all the time for this as Seek droid will turn it on for you when you need to find it.

You can also wipe your phone over the computer if you think your phone is in the wrong hands which is brilliant.

It's 99cent and it's a must have app to secure your personal info.