You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pistonbroke

Think i'm right in saying both teams had one shot on target the whole game, Gerrard for us and Adebayo for them. I was glued to the edge of my seat.

I think it was you. Can you tell us what Valencia were like under Benitez? The concensus over here is that they were a flowing posession team but, the odd game apart, I always thought they were just very negative.

You are right. They were a defensive team like Liverpool are now. The difference was that they had more technical ability and could keep the ball better, especially when Aimar was playing. But they were never daring, playing a lot of long balls for Spanish standards and but the odd game they were never consider entertaining, but rather pragmatic and defensively very sound.

In away games most of their attacking came from winning the ball back in advances areas and attacking very directly. Those tactics were succesful because if you give the initiative to almost any team in Spain they will take it and will try to build their attacks from the back. In England the long ball sort of destroys many of the defensive traps Benitez sets. Also his Valencia's team was probably the most physical of the Spanish League, thing that it is not ture with his Liverpool side in England.

Took his beloved defensive right winger off for the last 10 minutes of the game. What a risk!.

At least he took Kuyt off. That was him being positive i guess.

The same 'beloved defensive right winger' who has scored 4 of our most recent 5 league goals, the other being an own goal?

Kuyt has been massively important for us recently, and any fan who doesn't see that has their eyes shut.

The clue in the statement is when Rafa says its important not to lose.

We will play with two holding midfielders in Lucas and Mascherano and try and control the game by passing the ball along the back four and between the two midfielders.

After passing the ball around a few times then we will just hoof it upfront and hope N'Gog can get his head on it.

How apt and accurate a statement, could not have called it any better. Sad indictment of how predictable we have become. This is much more than bad form. Form is cyclical, and yet we have been consistent all season for the specific brand of football we have played. The end of this season can not come sooner.

The same 'beloved defensive right winger' who has scored 4 of our most recent 5 league goals, the other being an own goal?

Kuyt has been massively important for us recently, and any fan who doesn't see that has their eyes shut.

I see he's scored a few goals, which have been important, but apart from that his performances have been detrimental to the team as usual. Anyone who doesn't see that has their eyes shut. When he doesn't score, he's a massive liability, simple as that.

I see he's scored a few goals, which have been important, but apart from that his performances have been detrimental to the team as usual. Anyone who doesn't see that has their eyes shut. When he doesn't score, he's a massive liability, simple as that.

I'm no fan of Kuyt's and am on record as saying I would have sold him at the end of his first season here, but who would you have realistically played given the circumstances?

I advocated playing Johnson further forward earlier in the season but even that option isn't available.

How apt and accurate a statement, could not have called it any better. Sad indictment of how predictable we have become. This is much more than bad form. Form is cyclical, and yet we have been consistent all season for the specific brand of football we have played. The end of this season can not come sooner.

Xabi Alonso was far more important for Liverpool's ability to create than anything Benitez can write on his notebook. With Lucas and Mascherano as holding midfielders plus the ability to pass the ball of the back four and the quality of Liverpool wingers don't expect major improvements. Even with Alonso was not enough. Only a poor start by United, a very poor season by Chelsea and Liverpool scoring goals in the final minutes of the game (which is not a frequent ocurrence under Benitez) and getting people sent off in so many games gave the reds the chance to challenge. But playing such toothless football and expecting to challenge every year is not realistic.

Aquilani seems to me like the only CM that can spark a little bit of creativity in midfield (Gerrard is too erratic for my taste), but Benitez does not rate his defensive ability. So he will only play in home games against weaker teams and thus making it difficult for the Italian to adapt.

This is not surprise to anyone who has closely followed Liverpool during the Benitez reign. No Alonso in the team and the (not very high) standards of attacking play would drop dramatically.

Perhaps having Kuyt and what he does as a very important cog in Liverpool's machinery is one of the reasons why Liverpool are not quite up there.

Yet more anti-football. Another game passes by without their keeper having to make a meaningful save. This is Rafa's Liverpool is either of the top quality attackers are unavailable or off form we pose no attacking treat at all. We're the worst team to watch in the league. At least Stoke have attempts on goal.

True that.

It's no coincidence that accusations are thrown around when we play about how boring the game was. Maybe its time to admit it is US killing games. I can somewhat understand it when we are scrapping with a host of injuries to carry but we are easily seeing this become our style despite some players trickling back.

Think i'm right in saying both teams had one shot on target the whole game, Gerrard for us and Adebayo for them. I was glued to the edge of my seat.

You were lucky because if you had not used glue you could have fallen off your seat and hurt yourself with the borefest on offer.