You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reserves tonight

PaulMcC

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pacheco's technique and ball retention is better though mate. And he has a better football brain. Not saying he is the answer, but surely he will be more of an asset than Jovanovic and Ngog?

Definitely, there's no doubt who the more technical player is, N'Gog is a better striker though and, I fear, physicality is the deciding factor. I'm guessing that's why we played Pacheco in the middle today, to force him to make more challenges and mix it a bit more. Should serve him well.

Thought Jay looked quality again today. I think he'll start a few games for Kenny in the prem this season.

Definitely, there's no doubt who the more technical player is, N'Gog is a better striker though and, I fear, physicality is the deciding factor. I'm guessing that's why we played Pacheco in the middle today, to force him to make more challenges and mix it a bit more. Should serve him well.

Thought Jay looked quality again today. I think he'll start a few games for Kenny in the prem this season.

I really like Spearing. I think he is good enough to be part of our squad in the future. Although some players at the club, including youngsters, have a size advantage over him. Shame, as in that position, in the PL, size does matter, and taller players will be more of an asset when it comes to defending set pieces etc.

Spearing is a leader though; has got drive and is prepared to take responsibility and impose himself. I've always liked him. Kenny clearly does too having started with him in the Mersey derby.

John McMahon also eulogizing about Wisdom's presence and influence. He clearly has ability, and if deemed good enough, I think his personality will help him get fast tracked into the 1st team squad sooner than others.

Pacheco and Ngog are obviously different types of strikers, with Pacheco more suited to playing behind the main forward. If Ngog gets the nod over him as the main striker and that's the position that needs to be filled, fair enough; but Jovanovic getting a chance over him is bewildering.

Edited by Hugo Sanjeev

Watching the John Aldridge LFC TV interview from a few years ago this afternoon with Claire asking the questions - obviously repeated many times but 1st time I have seen it!

He said something which caught my attention specifically to our current situation - Aldo stated that when he joined the club mid-season in 1987 he was playing 2nd fiddle to Rush and almost a permanent fixture on the sub's bench, he knocked on Dalglish's door and asked him if he was doing something wrong in regards to his lack of 1st team starting opportunities and Dalglish replied that the 1st team in 1986/87 season was not setup to attack from wide areas which he thought was Aldo's strength but more through the middle to maximise Rush's pace and that this would be addressed in the summer and for Aldo to be patient - obviously in the summer of 1987 we bought Barnes, Beardsley and Houghton and one of our greatest team's was born in which Aldo was the prime goalscorer.

Anyway my point was that maybe some of the young talented kids who play in attacking positions like Pacheco are being held back until we have some presence in both attack and in wide areas to give him more space to play in the 'hole' - Carroll will obviously be crucial in this regard as he absolutely terrifies defenders and will offer some much needed focus in attack in addition maybe some new signings like the summer of 1987 may be the point when Dalglish thinks that we have a team that can accomodate some of the young attacking talent we have. As unfortunately in our current predicament I think the likes of Suso, Pacheco etc will only lose confidence playing in the current 1st team team.

Watching the John Aldridge LFC TV interview from a few years ago this afternoon with Claire asking the questions - obviously repeated many times but 1st time I have seen it!

He said something which caught my attention specifically to our current situation - Aldo stated that when he joined the club mid-season in 1987 he was playing 2nd fiddle to Rush and almost a permanent fixture on the sub's bench, he knocked on Dalglish's door and asked him if he was doing something wrong in regards to his lack of 1st team starting opportunities and Dalglish replied that the 1st team in 1986/87 season was not setup to attack from wide areas which he thought was Aldo's strength but more through the middle to maximise Rush's pace and that this would be addressed in the summer and for Aldo to be patient - obviously in the summer of 1987 we bought Barnes, Beardsley and Houghton and one of our greatest team's was born in which Aldo was the prime goalscorer.

Anyway my point was that maybe some of the young talented kids who play in attacking positions like Pacheco are being held back until we have some presence in both attack and in wide areas to give him more space to play in the 'hole' - Carroll will obviously be crucial in this regard as he absolutely terrifies defenders and will offer some much needed focus in attack in addition maybe some new signings like the summer of 1987 may be the point when Dalglish thinks that we have a team that can accomodate some of the young attacking talent we have. As unfortunately in our current predicament I think the likes of Suso, Pacheco etc will only lose confidence playing in the current 1st team team.

Very interesting view mate. If Kenny is appointed as perm, I guess we'll find out when things take shape next season.

I think it's more about doing away with the "square pegs in round holes" management that we've had for over a decade. You can still have a very strong team with one player nominally played out of position, but it becomes more and more difficult when you have 3 or 4 in the same team. It's why I have the utmost respect for the Ajax system of Total Football, because it creates teams the hard way, and occasionally gets it spectacularly right.

Didn't catch the first half yesterday so thanks for that video.

Jay's ball through to Bruna was class. Also, although it just looks like it falls to Suso he actually makes a very cute touch with his right foot to set up the finish. Really quick thinking.

Lost 2-1 in the end:

Offal match report

Gerardo Bruna was on target as Liverpool Reserves went down to a 2-1 defeat at Blackpool on Thursday afternoon.

The diminutive attacker showed great awareness to level matters just shy of the hour mark after a Malaury Martin penalty had given the Seasiders a deserved first-half lead.

However, the Argentine then saw a tame spot-kick easily saved by Mark Halstead before the Tangerines' Belarusian striker Sergey Kornilenko snared all three points with a well-executed strike four minutes from time.

The result means John McMahon's side's 10 match unbeaten run has now come to an end and they will now have to lift themselves again in time for next week's clash with West Brom.

The fervent support that has been a feature of Blackpool's impressive return to topflight football was conspicuous by its absence as the second-string encounter got underway at Bloomfield Road but the silence from the stands failed to affect the home team who made a supercharged start to the proceedings.

The lively Martin crashed a free-kick in a dangerous position into the Liverpool wall inside 60 seconds before Luke Varney saw a close range finish correctly chalked off for offside.

The inclusion of the frontman who struck Blackpool's famous winner at Anfield earlier in the season was a clear sign of the hosts' intent and after Tom Ince dragged wide from distance they took the lead on 26 minutes.

Conor Thomas was harshly adjudged to have pushed Kornilenko inside the six yard box, leaving Martin to step up and coolly send Martin Hansen the wrong way from the penalty spot.

The Reds had offered very little as an attacking force at this point and the Seasiders should have doubled their lead just three minutes later but Kornilenko misfired when it seemed easier to score.

The home side continued to dictate the tempo of the game and Martin and Kornilenko both squandered presentable chances as the half came to a close.

Liverpool almost snatched an equaliser in the 45th minute but Nikola Saric mistimed his square pass after his clever run had sprung the offside trap.

McMahon would have demanded more from his charges in the second 45 but Blackpool maintained their dominance following the interval and Hansen showed good agility to tip over Matt Phillips' rasping shot.

Again, there had been very little sign of the visitors in the attacking third but they kept battling away and on 57 minutes they drew level.

Bruna capitalised upon a defensive mistake by Sala Sbai before showing good composure to round Mark Halstead and tap the ball into an empty net.

It seemed to spark renewed belief within the Liverpool ranks and Steven Irwin brought the best out of Halstead with thunderous drive from distance.

At the other end, Kornilenko wasted another gilt-edged chance while Bruna should have doubled his tally when he crashed over the bar following superb build up play by Ince.

The Argentine was getting himself into some superb positions but once again the finish was lacking as he was brilliantly denied by Halstead at the far post.

With time running out both sides pushed for the winner and on 79 minutes Liverpool were gifted the opportunity to snatch the points.

Saric was brought crashing to the ground by Chris Basham but from the resulting penalty, Bruna saw his effort easily saved Halstead.

It proved to be a very costly miss too as Kornilenko raced onto a long ball, cut inside Emmanuel Mendy and fired past Hansen four minutes from time.

Liverpoolfc.tv Man of the Match: Martin Hansen. Made a string of fine saves.

Liverpool Reserves: Hansen, Irwin, Cooper (King 75), Roberts, Sokolik, Mendy, Bruna, Thomas, Saric, Suso, Ince. Unused subs: Chamberlain, Walsh, Rafferty, Mukendi.

LFC.tv. said that Spearing, Pacheco and Flanagan (I think) weren't there because they were practising with the first team - might mean we'll have a few more youngsters involved on Sunday (at least on the bench) with all the injuries we've got at the moment

Must be noted that Suso continues to be played on the wing. For development purposes I guess, but the fact is, he is not having much of an impact there, all his best games have tended to be when he plays central. He doesn't have the blistering pace to be a real threat from the wing, nor the size and strength, which Bruna on the other side has developed.