You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

OK then lets call it a constructive dismissal.

nah it made his decision slightly easier. Nothing more. There's been plaenty of top class footballers who have not gone on with their managers but have been successful. I don't begrudge Xabi at all, I still like him as person & player but he's no longer a Liverpool player. I'll still respect him but the pompoms are well and truly consigned to the dustbin.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try my hardest.

But I remember reading an article where a journalist suggested that he got it wrong in the summer in the wake of Alonso's good form.

And he replied something to the effect of 'Barry would have been a good signing'.

I'd love to see that quote but I actually don't think it exists but let's play this game - even if it was said, so what? I mean really, So What? Barry is a good player - he would have been a good signing for us (taking his performances with Gerrard for England into account) saying that means nothing at all.

what are you suggesting it means?

I'd love to see that quote but I actually don't think it exists but let's play this game - even if it was said, so what? I mean really, So What? Barry is a good player - he would have been a good signing for us (taking his performances with Gerrard for England into account) saying that means nothing at all.

what are you suggesting it means?

My point is, why didn't he retort something along the lines of.

'Yeah he's been great, i'm really happy he is still here, I got it wrong'

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
My point is, why didn't he retort something along the lines of.

'Yeah he's been great, i'm really happy he is still here, I got it wrong'

Because he's a cunt

That's the answer you want, isn't it?

Or are you just going to disregard the multiple interviews over last season where he DID laud Alonso?

What's your point Cain?

It's the same shit, from both sides of the arguement, over and over again.

I don't see why people get so worked up about it though when someone mentions Alonso on here. It's an interview with an ex player where he mentions us and hos special we are to him, so why shouldn't it be discussed on a Liverpool forum? (That's a rhetorical question, but the way)

I'll always love Xabi.

Whatever his reasons, not wanting to play for Liverpool doesn't constitute a crime and I do believe it was truly one of the hardest decisions he'll ever have to make.

One thing thats certain is that Xabi certainly understood and appreciated what it meant to play here and I don't think he'll ever get that level of appreciation back again from anywhere.

So much so that I also believe he will be back one day, perhaps NOT TOO far in the future. And if it isn't to be as a player, certainly a manager, and I think he'll be a very good one at that.

It's the same shit, from both sides of the arguement, over and over again.

I don't see why people get so worked up about it though when someone mentions Alonso on here. It's an interview with an ex player where he mentions us and hos special we are to him, so why shouldn't it be discussed on a Liverpool forum? (That's a rhetorical question, but the way)

I disagree Cain. The amount of Xabi threads and refrences on here has been ridiculous. Just another attempt to stick the boot in IMO. Those who know my feelings might be suprised at me sticking up for Rafa.... i'm not i'm sick to the back teeth with the same old shit, reguritated nonsense and two camps arguing over the same old shit time and time again.

We should never have sold Souness. Discuss...............

No matter what is said you're just not prepared to believe Rafa is the bad guy in all this. He was bombed out the club and to answer the bit in bold' date=' take a look at our performances and also what our captain said about how much we miss him. Rafa gambled twice on Xabi's replacement. The first one backfired in spectacular fashion and lets just say the blue touch paper is smouldering on the second option.

Would people rather Xabi did the same as Mcmanaman and see out his contract then go on a free ? The manager wanted him out and that's exactly what he got.[/quote']

is 100% nail hit on head

Sorry guys this thread was meant to be what a class guy Xabi is and how much he loves this club, I doubt Rafa will give the same interview when he is fucked off out of this club

And no matter what the facts are, you are just not prepared to accept that Xabi, and he alone, chose to leave the club.

If the club were as determined to get rid as you say they were, he would have gone, transfer request or not, no?

Look, I'd rather we not sold him, I'd rather he was still here, but he is painted on here as some latter day Jesus Christ as evidenced by the claims that he only handed in a transfer request for our benefit

This is only going to go round in circles, and I know I'm going against the grain on here, and people already know my opinion on the matter, and there is no value on repeating it ad-infintum, but strip away the gossip and rumour from both sides and you are left with one irrefutable fact

He handed in a transfer request

That to me speaks volumes

You really dont believe that or put another way I really dont believe that you believe what you typed about.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
You really dont believe that or put another way I really dont believe that you believe what you typed about.

Nick, if I could even make sense of that, I'd try to reply

JUST WATCH THE FUCKING XABI INTERVIEW ON FOOTBALL FOCUS ITS SO FUCKING CYSTAL FUCKING CLEAR AS TO WHAT WENT ON NO NEED FOR ANY IDIOT ON HERE TO REWRITE HISTORY CRYSTAL CLEAR, ITS SO FUCKING CRYSTAL YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE BORN IN WATERFORD NOT TO MAKE ANY SENSE OF IT

So Rafa talks about the transfer he's a liar.

When Xabi talks about it it's the God's honest truth with no hint of self interest in it.

Righty ho, everything is black & white nice one.

NOW FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING GOD CAN YOU PLEASE STOP STARTING XABI ALONSO THREADS, AND BANGING FUCKING ON ABOUT HIM IN EXISTING ONES IT'S LIKE PICKING AT AN OPEN WOUND AND IT'S FUCKING CRYSTAL CLEAR WHY YOU DO IT.

YOU DON'T LIKE THE FUCKING MANAGER FAIR ENOUGH BUT STOP ACTING LIKE AN EVEN MORE ANNOYING VERSION OF RASHID.

THANKS.

Actually, to me it is

If the manager wanted shut, absoutely determined to get shut, why hand in a request and forfeit what would be contractually due to you, especially when you are on record moaning about FX rates and the fall of sterling against the Euro?

If you really didn't what to leave, why initially refuse to play against Liege in case you got cup tied?

Why have your agent negotiate with Madrid as early as February/March, if you plan on making every effort to stay?

Why intimate to your mates in the press that your determined to leave, only then to get cold feet when it looks like Madrid weren't willing to pay the money and you might be stuck with Liverpool?

Also, seems as we are really picking the bones out of it, why, as a supposed proud Basque, why would you sign for Madrid?

Unless of course he had a gun to his head at all times, which seems to what is intimated, but then again, that begs another question

If Rafa didn't play Robbie Keane because he had a problem with him and couldn't wait to get shut, why then proceed to play Xabi at every available opportunity?

Very good points and repped for having the strength to bother.

JUST WATCH THE FUCKING XABI INTERVIEW ON FOOTBALL FOCUS ITS SO FUCKING CYSTAL FUCKING CLEAR AS TO WHAT WENT ON NO NEED FOR ANY IDIOT ON HERE TO REWRITE HISTORY CRYSTAL CLEAR, ITS SO FUCKING CRYSTAL YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE BORN IN WATERFORD NOT TO MAKE ANY SENSE OF IT

So Rafa talks about the transfer he's a liar.

When Xabi talks about it it's the God's honest truth with no hint of self interest in it.

Righty ho, everything is black & white nice one.

NOW FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING GOD CAN YOU PLEASE STOP STARTING XABI ALONSO THREADS, AND BANGING FUCKING ON ABOUT HIM IN EXISTING ONES IT'S LIKE PICKING AT AN OPEN WOUND AND IT'S FUCKING CRYSTAL CLEAR WHY YOU DO IT.

YOU DON'T LIKE THE FUCKING MANAGER FAIR ENOUGH BUT STOP ACTING LIKE AN EVEN MORE ANNOYING VERSION OF RASHID.

THANKS.

brick-loud-noises-b.jpg

I don't know about this. It seems you have to be either for Rafa or Alonso, like either was right or wrong.

For me, Rafa had his idea of what he wanted, that involved Barry, not Alonso.

Some think he was right and some think he was mad for thinking this would improve our midfield. At the end of the day though, you have to at least give the gaffer the chance to show us what his ideas are.

But our board fucked that up and we we're left with a really awkward situation.

I don't think you can say Alonso handing in transfer request` speaks volumes` Just as I don't think you can call out anything Rafa did or didn't do. Benitez has every right to make what decisions he wants, and a player like Alonso believes he has the right to be first choice in his team.

If your manager comes up to you in work, brings some lad over to you, and says `he're, this is the fella who's job you'll be having` and he's all smiles, but then some other company offers him more so your manager says `er, it's ok lad, you can stay now`.. you're going to feel a cunt aren't you?

I don't think there's any going back to normality after that to be fair. But I think the issue is that people therefore see this as a stick to beat Rafa with, like he should never have dared to go for Barry and upset Alonso like that. It's not how a team's run is it?

The situation might have been rectifiable if Benitez would have maybe had a one to one with him and talked a bit more, but maybe that wasn't possible because of who they are. They both strike me as headstrong, so was it surprising that this was the outcome?

I'll always love Xabi.

Whatever his reasons, not wanting to play for Liverpool doesn't constitute a crime and I do believe it was truly one of the hardest decisions he'll ever have to make.

One thing thats certain is that Xabi certainly understood and appreciated what it meant to play here and I don't think he'll ever get that level of appreciation back again from anywhere.

So much so that I also believe he will be back one day, perhaps NOT TOO far in the future. And if it isn't to be as a player, certainly a manager, and I think he'll be a very good one at that.

I'll always love Rafa.

Whatever his reasons, not wanting to manage Madrid doesnt constitute a crime and I do believe that Rafa knocking all that lovely cash back and an unlimited transfer pot, to stay with us and finish the job, was truly one of the hardest decisions he'll ever have to make.

One things that certain is that Rafa certainly understands and appreciates what it means to be here and I dont think that people will appreciate what it is to have that much dedication and belief in making Liverpool FC 'Great Again', despite the shite he takes from within the club and without.

So much so that I also believe that one day he will leave us, perhaps NOT TOO far in the future. And if it isnt to be as a League winning manager, certainly as a Champions League manager, and I know he has been our best manager in the last 20 years.

There endeth the sermon.

£30m for Alonso in July 2008.

You'd have driven him to Madrid yourself Brownie.

There's only Code & Juan Galonso who would have rejected it and even I think that's revisionist bollocks.

Well maybe not in Code's case, but he wants a memorial the size of the statue of liberty for him.

Add me to that list too, and it isn't revisionist at all. You can add Ted and Red Knight to it as well, and plenty of others too I'd imagine.