You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
For the record, I've never done the Rafa Benitez FC bit to anyone...

I'm just finding it amusing that you're choosing my posts across the threads. He handed in the transfer request because he had been whored all over europe. It's not really hard to understand.

Rafa even said that he was going to come back for Barry in the next summer. How would you feel if your manager just wanted you gone and went public with it?

Because it's the same shite over and over again, with little regards for the facts

Again, if Rafa was determined to get shut, why hand in a request?

Unless of course he was determined to leave

Edited by Ulysses Everett McGill

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can be determined to do something but still be gutted about it and have a heavy heart at the same time.

Say your favourite band changes the lead guitarist and you hate the new music. You vow to not listen any more; you're absolutely determined to do so but are gutted about it because of all the amazing memories you have etc.

If they hadn't changed the guitarist then you really wouldn't want to drop them.

Probably a shit analogy but i'm extremely tired tonight.

For the record, I've never done the Rafa Benitez FC bit to anyone...

I'm am finding it amusing that you're choosing my posts across the threads, by the way.

He handed in the transfer request because he had been whored all over europe. It's not really hard to understand.

Rafa even said that he was going to come back for Barry in the next summer. How would you feel if your manager just wanted you gone and went public with it?

So Rafa wants to build a squad of top class players and Alonso sees that as a threat to his place? Therefore if Rafa puts in a bid for Aguero, Torres feels slighted and demands a move?

You can be determined to do something but still be gutted about it and have a heavy heart at the same time.

Say your favourite band changes the lead guitarist and you hate the new music. You vow to not listen any more; you're absolutely determined to do so but are gutted about it because of all the amazing memories you have etc.

If they hadn't changed the guitarist then you really wouldn't want to drop them.

Probably a shit analogy but i'm extremely tired tonight.

Alonso is Pete Best, Lucas Leiva, Ringo? Is that what youre saying?

I'm sure Xabi was sad to leave. BUT he chose to leave. Whatever the cirsumstances of the previous season it was his decision last summer. I'd like to think anyone who has wore the Liverbird on their chest departs with a heavy heart. Especially given what happened in Instanbul. Regardless of what he goes onto achieve in Madrid & Spain that will be his career highlight.

If Albert Riera scored 15 goals next season, had numours assists and was player of the season, would you possibly question the manager if he sold him?

Nearly a clever misrepresentation of the facts there. I was speaking about the two seasons he played shite for us - when the decision to sell him (rightly in my opinion) was made. Alonso made the decision then to start playing for his next move - he played brilliantly that season, Benitez then tried to keep him but Alonso had made his mind up. He seemed more concerned with the extra 10% tax he would have to pay than giving us, the supporters more of those types of performance.

Unless you're denying the fact that Alonso was very poor in the preceding two seasons?

Nearly a clever misrepresentation of the facts there. I was speaking about the two seasons he played shite for us - when the decision to sell him (rightly in my opinion) was made. Alonso made the decision then to start playing for his next move - he played brilliantly that season, Benitez then tried to keep him but Alonso had made his mind up. He seemed more concerned with the extra 10% tax he would have to pay than giving us, the supporters more of those types of performance.

Unless you're denying the fact that Alonso was very poor in the preceding two seasons?

*shakes head*.

Actually, to me it is

If the manager wanted shut, absoutely determined to get shut, why hand in a request and forfeit what would be contractually due to you, especially when you are on record moaning about FX rates and the fall of sterling against the Euro?

If you really didn't what to leave, why initially refuse to play against Liege in case you got cup tied?

Why have your agent negotiate with Madrid as early as February/March, if you plan on making every effort to stay?

Why intimate to your mates in the press that your determined to leave, only then to get cold feet when it looks like Madrid weren't willing to pay the money and you might be stuck with Liverpool?

Also, seems as we are really picking the bones out of it, why, as a supposed proud Basque, why would you sign for Madrid?

Unless of course he had a gun to his head at all times, which seems to what is intimated, but then again, that begs another question

If Rafa didn't play Robbie Keane because he had a problem with him and couldn't wait to get shut, why then proceed to play Xabi at every available opportunity?

No matter what is said you're just not prepared to believe Rafa is the bad guy in all this. He was bombed out the club and to answer the bit in bold, take a look at our performances and also what our captain said about how much we miss him. Rafa gambled twice on Xabi's replacement. The first one backfired in spectacular fashion and lets just say the blue touch paper is smouldering on the second option.

Would people rather Xabi did the same as Mcmanaman and see out his contract then go on a free ? The manager wanted him out and that's exactly what he got.

There's absolutely no doubt that it was his decision to leave. I don't think i've ever seen anyone deny that; all I have seen is people debate the reasons why he decided to leave.

He decided to leave to go & play for Real Madrid. Its simple i can't see why and how people are muddying the waters with heresay. Yes he may not have had the best relationship with Rafa, still does not stop him staying and playing for the club/fans rather than Rafa.

*shakes head*.

£30m for Alonso in July 2008.

You'd have driven him to Madrid yourself Brownie.

There's only Code & Juan Galonso who would have rejected it and even I think that's revisionist bollocks.

Well maybe not in Code's case, but he wants a memorial the size of the statue of liberty for him.

He was bombed out the club .

was he bollocks. and to suggest so is ridiculous. I'm nowhere near oen fo rafa's fans but it was Xabi's decision to leave. He'd just had his best season with us, his poor relationship with the manager obviously didn't affect his performances. There's no reason why that could not have continued.

I was actually supporting the decision to sell Alonso way back in 2008. But it was clearly the wrong decision. I remember that Lazio friendly and the fans singing 'Stick Gareth BarrY up your arse' I was cringing actually.

Anyway fast forward 12 months, Xabi is further un-settled, turns out to be our best player of the season and all throughout the season Rafa refused to admit he got it wrong. Often retorting 'Barry would have been good'.

So now, we don't have either player, we only have an injury prone italian who we are scared to play!

It's worked out very shit

No matter what is said you're just not prepared to believe Rafa is the bad guy in all this. He was bombed out the club and to answer the bit in bold' date=' take a look at our performances and also what our captain said about how much we miss him. Rafa gambled twice on Xabi's replacement. The first one backfired in spectacular fashion and lets just say the blue touch paper is smouldering on the second option.

Would people rather Xabi did the same as Mcmanaman and see out his contract then go on a free ? The manager wanted him out and that's exactly what he got.[/quote']

And no matter what the facts are, you are just not prepared to accept that Xabi, and he alone, chose to leave the club.

If the club were as determined to get rid as you say they were, he would have gone, transfer request or not, no?

Look, I'd rather we not sold him, I'd rather he was still here, but he is painted on here as some latter day Jesus Christ as evidenced by the claims that he only handed in a transfer request for our benefit

This is only going to go round in circles, and I know I'm going against the grain on here, and people already know my opinion on the matter, and there is no value on repeating it ad-infintum, but strip away the gossip and rumour from both sides and you are left with one irrefutable fact

He handed in a transfer request

That to me speaks volumes

I was actually supporting the decision to sell Alonso way back in 2008. But it was clearly the wrong decision. I remember that Lazio friendly and the fans singing 'Stick Gareth BarrY up your arse' I was cringing actually.

Anyway fast forward 12 months, Xabi is further un-settled, turns out to be our best player of the season and all throughout the season Rafa refused to admit he got it wrong. Often retorting 'Barry would have been good'.

So now, we don't have either player, we only have an injury prone italian who we are scared to play!

Might have won the League?

Find me that quote

Bet you can't

Find me that quote

Bet you can't

I'll try my hardest.

But I remember reading an article where a journalist suggested that he got it wrong in the summer in the wake of Alonso's good form.

And he replied something to the effect of 'Barry would have been a good signing'.

was he bollocks. and to suggest so is ridiculous. I'm nowhere near oen fo rafa's fans but it was Xabi's decision to leave. He'd just had his best season with us, his poor relationship with the manager obviously didn't affect his performances. There's no reason why that could not have continued.
OK then lets call it a constructive dismissal.