You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ipod Touch 64gb or Ipod Classic 160gb

Herp McDerp

Right, which one should I get? I've been putting off buying a new one for years now, but my 30 gig is rapidly approaching the clearing at the end of the path, looks like I'll be shelling out on a new one soon.

There's a $220 difference between the two that I'm looking at and I'm not really sure a touchscreen which is 1 inch bigger than the Classic's screen is worth that much. Add to that the fact that the Classic has an additional 100gigs of storage, I'm trying to figure out if the additional shit the Touch is capable of makes up for the steeper price and smaller storage capacity. Does anyone here own a touch? Would appreciate it if you could just point out what's so good aboot it.

Cheers.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The iPod touch is a much, much nicer product. You can use (pretty much) all the iphone applications, which is a massive bonus. If you don't need the massive storage space, which I doubt you do as only a very, very few people need to carry that much data around with them, then I'd go for the touch.

Right, which one should I get? I've been putting off buying a new one for years now, but my 30 gig is rapidly approaching the clearing at the end of the path, looks like I'll be shelling out on a new one soon.

There's a $220 difference between the two that I'm looking at and I'm not really sure a touchscreen which is 1 inch bigger than the Classic's screen is worth that much. Add to that the fact that the Classic has an additional 100gigs of storage, I'm trying to figure out if the additional shit the Touch is capable of makes up for the steeper price and smaller storage capacity. Does anyone here own a touch? Would appreciate it if you could just point out what's so good aboot it.

Cheers.

So the touch is 220 more than the classic?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I suppose it comes down to whether you love listening to music or prefer to prat around moving your fingers about on a screen with useless gimics. Storage everytime.

Useless gimmicks? You're havin' a laff, is 'e havin' a laff?

Right, I've just been online checking out the new ZuneHD, it's really difficult to gauge just how good an ipod is compared to a Zune as you have these eejits on both sides arguing all the time, fucking virgins. From what little I've read it seems like Microsoft may just have got their act together on this one as it sounds pretty impressive.

The ZuneHD has an oled screen which would be awesome seeing as I spend a shitload of time on the bench waiting for someone to get injured and from what I've read OLED screens don't require a backlight and therefore should work just fine in sunlight, it also runs an NVidia Tegra chippy thingy which I'm assuming would ensure it packs some punch and should be able to support games, apps and whatnot. It's being launched on the 15th and while there are no plans to sell it here yet I could easily get one online, or if that fails I could just get some mates who're stateside to get one and post it over.

The cnet review also mentions that the internet browser on this thing works well, which is great as Microsoft usually stuff that up nicely. The main downside for me is the fact that the largest capacity it has is 32 gigs, and that simply won't do for me. So it looks like I may just stay out of the touch screen market for a bit, get myself a classic and see what Microsoft and Apple throw out there over the next couple of months.

edit: The Zune is one sexy beast by the way.

zune-hd-platinum-32gb.jpg

zunehd_540x405.png

oNgAVbDWkZk

Some links for anyone who may be interested.

Zune HD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zune HD hands-on look, impressions, tears of joy | MP3 Insider - CNET Reviews

Zune HD (32GB - platinum) MP3 player reviews - CNET Reviews

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If you buy the Zune, I won't ever talk to you again. I'll put you on ignore. I'll neg you. I'll set my hair on fire.

Seriously, don't get a Zune. There is a reason why it only has 1% market share. If you're not going for an iPod, there are plenty of other options.