You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I liked his cameo, you can tell he's a player, would like to see him rewarded with a place on the bench on the weekend. Shame the manager's comments after about him were a bit pathetic.

Jonjo Shelvey's appearance as a substitute in extra-time helped lift Liverpool, with the midfielder playing a part in Ngog's equaliser.

Hodgson said: "He did well but the fact is he came on in extra-time and people were tiring. We think Jonjo Shelvey is a player with a bright future, but I have to say I am not in the mood for talking about positives.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked his cameo, you can tell he's a player, would like to see him rewarded with a place on the bench on the weekend. Shame the manager's comments after about him were a bit pathetic.

Jonjo Shelvey's appearance as a substitute in extra-time helped lift Liverpool, with the midfielder playing a part in Ngog's equaliser.

Hodgson said: "He did well but the fact is he came on in extra-time and people were tiring. We think Jonjo Shelvey is a player with a bright future, but I have to say I am not in the mood for talking about positives.

I hope he's been misquoted there. Playing down our only positive is just plain ridiculous if not.

I liked the look of him. I know this might sound daft, but he looks like a proper footballer first and foremost. In his book, Fowler made a great point in saying that there are far too many players about nowadays are effectively just athletes and lack both a grounding in the basics of the game and a brain. It's something I'm in full agreement with. I was encouraged with the lad last night because he looked like he had an eye for a pass in picking the right time when to give it short and when to play a crossfield ball and he also appeared comfortable in possession.

Obviously early days, but the sub appearances from the lad and Eccleston were the only bright spot on a thoroughly shite night. Obviously it's still early days, but I've got my fingers crossed for the lad.

I'll tell you what though- Gerrard could certainly take some tips from Shelvey on how to take a decent corner!

I'll tell you what though- Gerrard could certainly take some tips from Shelvey on how to take a decent corner!

The thing about Gerrard is that he's not great at kicking a dead ball. When he takes corners (and also the free-kick at OT for that matter) he kicks the ball differently to his normal (more comfortable) action. It's hard to explain but for me it's noticeable. He can't seem to generate sufficient power without losing accuracy.

As for Shelvey, he's still in the "promising" phase, but he does look more developed than a player of his age is expected to be. I really hope he develops in the right way as he could become a dominant player in the not-too-distant future.

He seems to contradict himself.

When appointed he was talking of the low morale and how he had to build it back up.

All you hear from him is negativity though.

Hated that phoney chairman at Palace but he did one great quote about working with Steve Coppell , saying he was so negative that he used to affect his mobile phone reception.

Roy is starting to slide towards that observation.

• 1 month later...

Did none of our scouts observe that he has a pretty fundamental flaw - ie the painful lack of pace. I know not everyone can be as fast as Usain Bolt, but I've seen gastropods competing in the 'All-Mexican Snail Derby' who have shown a better turn of pace than this lad. I just don't see how youngsters get recruited to a club like ours when they have such an obvious and fundamental weakness. Whatever his talents, i can safely predict now that he'll never be a top-class premiership player because his lack of pace will be horribly exposed.

Did none of our scouts observe that he has a pretty fundamental flaw - ie the painful lack of pace. I know not everyone can be as fast as Usain Bolt, but I've seen gastropods competing in the 'All-Mexican Snail Derby' who have shown a better turn of pace than this lad. I just don't see how youngsters get recruited to a club like ours when they have such an obvious and fundamental weakness. Whatever his talents, i can safely predict now that he'll never be a top-class premiership player because his lack of pace will be horribly exposed.

Xabi Alonso was one of the slowest but best midfielders we've ever had. I don't think it's something which will hold Shelvey back too much if he's good enough.

The lack of pace is definently a weakness. But we'll just have to hope he overcomes that by utilising his other abilities.

He is a centre midfielder and that's where he should play and be judged.

He has the talent, but needs to play in his best position and I felt sorry for him last night as he was playing in a team that couldn't string to passes together. Also as we were so deep, Wigan were pressing us high up the field so he had no time on the ball.

Yes he gave the ball away too much, but he wasn't alone - just as Kuyt.