You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barbie's struggling

rb14

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stu. It is. Thanks.

Well today it's better news chez rb14. Barbie has improved.

Last night he was able to eat three king prawns. This morning he got out of his F&M hamper (complete with heated underblanket) to greet me and came into the kitchen for some brekky. He had about half of his usual wet food, two more king prawns and some of his favourite dried biscuit.

He's just got back into bed having shouted at me. It sounded like a "I'm tired, fucked and weak, but feeling a good bit better than I have been over the past two days." I might be reading too much into this, I don't know.

barbieeating.jpg

To explain the saucers; he can't get food out of a normal cat bowl because the only two teeth he has are at the back of his grid, so gently sloping sided saucers are the best option. The one he's eating out of has his wet food, to the left of that is his water which he never ever touches, to the right is his dried biscuit and the empty saucer furthest away was for his two king prawns.

I'm going to stick around for another couple of hours and assuming he doesn't hoy it all back up, I'll leave mr rb14 to the nursing duties and whizz up to see me ma and maybe leave a calling card for the bitter cow.

• 2 months later...
I smiled. Fuck the pair of you.

Barbie's outside on the South terrace. He's had a few sips of (frankly disgusting) water from the bowl out there and now he's settled down in the sun. He's not good but he's certainly no worse.

barbieterrace.jpg

And before you all give me a hard time, he won't drink the water unless it's from that fucking bowl. He has another in a similar state on the other terrace, but that's less favoured. I bought him a drinking fountain and he was like "I'm not drinking out of that fucking thing". Nor will he drink out of the water bowl in the kitchen. He will occasionally deign to drink the special cat milk we buy him but not often.

Oooh, the South Terrace? Hark at you with a South Terrace!

Thanks for all your kind wishes and texts.

It's been a hard week. He went off his food on Tuesday. Thursday at the vets, more blood tests which diagnosed that his hyperactive thyroid still isn't right. Trouble is it's hard to feed our little prince his tablets when he's not eating. Saturday morning he was still no better so he went back to the vets again. The long and short of it is there's nothing obviously wrong but we suspect a tummy upset. Trouble is, his fighting weight is only five and a half pounds so he really can't afford to lose very much at all. He's below five right now. He's now on appetite stimulants, An increased dose of thyroid tablets and some antibiotics that target tummies.

We've tried every food under the sun, from his favourite cat food (both meat and fish varieties), his second favourite, some special vet-recommended high-nutrient cat food, fresh tuna, fresh monkfish, fresh steak, three types of dried food and cat milk. Nothing. Well, nothing until today. At last, at long long last he decided he was going to try some steak and then proceeded to eat a truckload. Mr rb14 was chasing him around the house putting more in his gob, with tablets handily secreted therein.

Net result is, of course, he's eaten at last. He's still a long way away from himself, but it's a shaky paw in the right direction. He's listless and spends even more time asleep than usual, but we've suddenly found ourselves with some hope. I think the next 48 hours are really important. We've had fuck-all sleep with the worry.

Send positive thoughts for the little angel?

Thanks for all your kind wishes and texts.

It's been a hard week. He went off his food on Tuesday. Thursday at the vets, more blood tests which diagnosed that his hyperactive thyroid still isn't right. Trouble is it's hard to feed our little prince his tablets when he's not eating. Saturday morning he was still no better so he went back to the vets again. The long and short of it is there's nothing obviously wrong but we suspect a tummy upset. Trouble is, his fighting weight is only five and a half pounds so he really can't afford to lose very much at all. He's below five right now. He's now on appetite stimulants, An increased dose of thyroid tablets and some antibiotics that target tummies.

We've tried every food under the sun, from his favourite cat food (both meat and fish varieties), his second favourite, some special vet-recommended high-nutrient cat food, fresh tuna, fresh monkfish, fresh steak, three types of dried food and cat milk. Nothing. Well, nothing until today. At last, at long long last he decided he was going to try some steak and then proceeded to eat a truckload. Mr rb14 was chasing him around the house putting more in his gob, with tablets handily secreted therein.

Net result is, of course, he's eaten at last. He's still a long way away from himself, but it's a shaky paw in the right direction. He's listless and spends even more time asleep than usual, but we've suddenly found ourselves with some hope. I think the next 48 hours are really important. We've had fuck-all sleep with the worry.

Send positive thoughts for the little angel?

He is the fucking Shirley Bassey of the feline world. You've made a rod for your own back. Send him to the cat rescue and feed me instead.

PS. Glad she's on the mend x

He is the fucking Shirley Bassey of the feline world. You've made a rod for your own back. Send him to the cat rescue and feed me instead.

PS. Glad she's on the mend x

He. HE'S on the mend. Don't confuse him, he's got enough on his plate.

x

I've left him at the vet's. He's been admitted for a few days. Whilst he's not eating, we can't give him his tablets. The vet can hopefully medicate him which will include appetite enhancers. Once he starts getting food inside him, there's hope.

It's a shitty day.

He's a little fucker.

I left him at the vets yesterday morning as reported. I visited at about 2.0 p.m. and spent half an hour with him. He was really subdued. Despite having his toys and his leccy blanket, he wasn't settled. So just before the vet closed yesterday evening, I went back and rescued him. At least he'd had his pills.

Back home, he made a beeline (feeline?) for the kitchen and I hurriedly chopped some steak for him. He proceeded to demolish a fucking truckload. Then he whizzed out for a drink of water. Back inside, he went straight back to the kitchen again. By this time I'd had a chance to provide him with a choice of dishes.

I wasn't going to be happy until I'd managed to get some more pills down him this morning, but he was only too pleased to batter his way through more steak (tablets hidden inside) and his favourite 60% meat recipe stuff.

I think he's on the way to recovery.

About an hour ago...

barbsnack.jpg

And right this minute, having a quick rest between meals...

barbsleep.jpg

And those are his little mice friends before you ask.

• 3 months later...

Barbie's facebook status:

Barbra Lastlegs Barbie slept well last night, but this morning was uncomfortable; no appetite and very quiet. We took him to the vet's and after an gentle examination, we felt we didn't want him to undergo a series of tests and hospitalisation with only the faintest chance of any lasting improvement. Peter and I held him as he passed... away in our arms, stroking and loving him as we always do. He was totally at ease and relaxed.

RIP Barbie. x