You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The entire point of this thread is are our expecations too high because we'll have a similar transfer budget to burnley this season. My view is that's a daft comparision and the bottom line is no Liverpool manager should ever complain about lack of funds - there's been plenty of them for each and every one of them since Kenny left. Money is no excuse, fuill stop, end of story. Our budget is big enough and close enough to everyone else to expect good sporting judgement of the management and players to give us a realistic chance of winning everything.

Noone has ever won the PL from our budgetary position though.

I accept that its a pretty small sample & it doesn't mean it can't happen but i do think its worth remembering:

People are expecting/demanding something that has never been done in the modern era!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I accept that its a pretty small sample & it doesn't mean it can't happen but i do think its worth remembering:

People are expecting/demanding something that has never been done in the modern era!

we've had this calculator war I don't know how many times and to be honest, I haven't got the will to go through it again! I don't think money is all that matter, you do. We'll have to agree to diagree.

Also, a Spanish manager hasn't ever won the league. That too puts us in an awkward position?

But as I repeat, why should Rafa need more money in his budget to beat Stoke City at least once? How much more money does Rafa need to turn 3 of last seasons draws into wins?

The entire point of this thread is are our expecations too high because we'll have a similar transfer budget to burnley this season. My view is that's a daft comparision and the bottom line is no Liverpool manager should ever complain about lack of funds - there's been plenty of them for each and every one of them since Kenny left. Money is no excuse, fuill stop, end of story. Our budget is big enough and close enough to everyone else to expect good sporting judgement of the management and players to give us a realistic chance of winning everything.[/QUOTE]

Which we have!

But some think we should be winning league, and that is the crux of the problem.

Those that think we should WIN the league with what we have spent and those that think we should CHALLENGE for the league with what we have spent. Those that think we should win it, have (IMO) unrealisitic expectations.

Which we have!

But some think we should be winning league, and that is the crux of the problem.

Those that think we should WIN the league with what we have spent and those that think we should CHALLENGE for the league with what we have spent. Those that think we should win it, have (IMO) unrealisitic expectations.

We should be winning the league because we should be beating Stoke City at least once, and Boro Away.

It's not un-realistic.

Which we have!

Nobody should think like that anyway, as it's impossible to demand success. However, that doesn't mean you can't see when we've shot ourselves in the foot. We should have won the league this year, we didn't because we fucked up imo.

Nobody should think like that anyway, as it's impossible to demand success. However, that doesn't mean you can't see when we've shot ourselves in the foot. We should have won the league this year, we didn't because we fucked up imo.

Nobody should, but some do. Just because you take a pragmatic view doesn't mean that others with louder voices do.

The problem at the moment, is that this year, has confirmed some fans belief that Rafa cannot win the league, whilst othes see this year as confirmation that he can!

Two direct opposites! throw in an internet forum with no personal contact, which doesn't require the need to respect other points of view, and you get what we get here, constant arguments.

We should be winning the league because we should be beating Stoke City at least once, and Boro Away.

It's not un-realistic.

I agree we've shot ourselves in the foot in certain games. Personally, I hate when we have to play a bottom-half team immediately after a pulsating Champions League match. Neither the players nor the home crowd can lift themselves enough. It's worse when we have a Premier League midweek fixture in January or February, because it's always against somebody like Birmingham or Wigan, we end up getting a draw and the crowd gets on [insert scapegoat here]'s back.

I hate to keep mentioning Barca, but there is much to learn from their approach this season. Granted, we don't have as much flair as them, or quite the ability to retain possession, but we have enough in our locker to be flat-track bullies and end these sorts of contests by half-time. If we start next season by making this a frequent occurrance, then we will build up a ManU-like aura very quickly. There is no reason why we cannot break the 90-point barrier.

We have beaten the best teams in Europe and beat Manchester United 4-1 this season. We have proven time and again we can beat the best teams around, however our problems this season have come against sides who spend very little and finish at the bottom end of the table. It's nothing to do with money, it's about tactics.

When we beat Man United without a fit Gerrard and Torres back in September it was down to Benitez's genius, however when we draw against the lower league sides, that is down to a lack of investment? Sorry but it doesn't wash with me.

Our problems this season are not down to money, net spend or wages. Twist it however and whichever way you want but it hasn't, we shouldn't 5 years down the line need 30 Million Pound players to beat the likes of Stoke City at least once this season.

Do actually think about it -- tactics matter a lot more against opponents of the roughly the same level or better. Against the supposed inferior opponents, confidence, experience, and motivation are they keys.

Do actually think about it -- tactics matter a lot more against opponents of the roughly the same level or better. Against the supposed inferior opponents, confidence, experience, and motivation are they keys.

Maybe so, but it's still Rafa's job to have confidence and motivation in the side.

We had it during the end of the season, why not at the beginning?

Maybe so, but it's still Rafa's job to have confidence and motivation in the side.

We had it during the end of the season, why not at the beginning?

Actually we did very well at the beginning of the season. It's string of draws while we were on top that failed us. That's how experience counts -- the mental toughness to deal with pressure, to plod it out when the everything goes wrong. You don't think it was just coincidence why it took Manure 3 decades and us 20 years and counting to win the title again, do you?

What I found very encouraging was that instead of crumbling away like other early front-runners getting caught in the past, we fought back strongly and gave a credible account of ourselves. That showed a growth in mental toughness.

The acceptance of mediocrity in some of our fans astounds me. We are a wealthy club who invest year on year no matter who the manager is. Nobody says we should win everything every year, but we should be aspiring to do just that.

Acceptance of mediocrity? WTF?

Entitled fans pissed and moaned as if we were Spurs while over the past 3-4 seasons, we've been one of the 6 best clubs in the world.

Can anyone else remember who called for Rafa to be sacked after the final game?

If you can face it, I'd look through the latest Xabi Alonso monster thread -plenty of posters saying Rafa should go rather than Xabi; plenty too calling him a "liar" and one or two labelling him a "c+nt". I also think that he's always one defeat from a poll on here calling for him to be sacked...

Nobody cares what they have blown, 1 CL and 3 league titles will earn that money back.. money only comes under scrutiny where there is no success.. during the seasons Ferguson was winning fuck all 2004 to 2006 he spent fuck all himself.

You sound like the Evening Standard on Wenger!

Calling the 2nd highest wage bill in the country spending "fuck all" is like Marie Antoinette saying let them eat cake.

You sound like the Evening Standard on Wenger!

Calling the 2nd highest wage bill in the country spending "fuck all" is like Marie Antoinette saying let them eat cake.

Its relative. and when measured against success and income their spend it fuck all. They have earnt the right to spend big through success on and off the pitch. Hats off to them.

The fact that we could and should have won it for the past two seasons means that it's not a remotely unrealistic expectation.

You could have won the national lottery in the last 2 years.

Howver if we 'should' have won the League, what the fuck 'should' have the Mancs, Arse & Chavs with their vastly higher budgets have done?

Can we all win the League? Is it like a GLC sports day?