You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

Guess people have a different understanding of the word "retro" - to me it's 1950s or earlier (yeah, that is before I was born).

But then thinking about it, if I was 25 then the 90s would be before....shit. Might as well get the Werther's Originals out and sit with a blanket over my knees.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I was alive with Walkmans id consider them retro. Im genuinely glad I had my childhood pre Internet regardless of the cool shit that exists today.

Me too, no bullying on social media just hanging around. 

Someone posted a while back on how you could find your mates without mobiles, where they might be, where they were last seen. 

Even the 80s seem like a lifetime away, well half of one it is. 

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

Someone posted a while back on how you could find your mates without mobiles, where they might be, where they were last seen. 

I had a conversation with a friend recently, both of our Dad’s had (separately) taken us for a job interview bless them, this was in the 1980’s. I genuinely have no recollection how I met up with my Dad afterwards without mobiles, but it was obviously not traumatic or I would have remembered! It was at the Head Office so not a town we knew well at all.

1 hour ago, suzy said:

I had a conversation with a friend recently, both of our Dad’s had (separately) taken us for a job interview bless them, this was in the 1980’s. I genuinely have no recollection how I met up with my Dad afterwards without mobiles, but it was obviously not traumatic or I would have remembered! It was at the Head Office so not a town we knew well at all.

Yes it seems inconceivable how we all got by like that, if you wanted to contact your bird or something when you were out, it would have to be a pay phone, assuming they were at home, or a pub phone. Could you imagine that now   the queue to use the phone as everyone is in or needs to be in constant contact with someone or other for some reason, it's mad how different it was, definitely no worse though. 

The one thing I do miss though, is a hand written letter especially writing one yourself, a much more nicer way of communication, maybe that's a bit of a too older memory. 

I know what you mean though about arrangements to meet and things, how did we do it? 

It's traumatising leaving your phone at home now. 

Much better for safety purposes though. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Champ said:

Showing off alert

I booked one of those gym assessments today.

It started with standing on a machine that measured your weight and all kinds of other things.

My metabolic age came out at 42! I couldn’t be happier!!
I’ll probably get run over by a bus tomorrow 

Anyone who has metal bollocks is not to be messed with.

9 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Yes it seems inconceivable how we all got by like that, if you wanted to contact your bird or something when you were out, it would have to be a pay phone, assuming they were at home, or a pub phone. Could you imagine that now   the queue to use the phone as everyone is in or needs to be in constant contact with someone or other for some reason, it's mad how different it was, definitely no worse though. 

The one thing I do miss though, is a hand written letter especially writing one yourself, a much more nicer way of communication, maybe that's a bit of a too older memory. 

I know what you mean though about arrangements to meet and things, how did we do it? 

I’m with you in letters! Used to love getting (and writing ) them. Also agree I’d hate to leave home now without my phone! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Champ said:

Showing off alert

I booked one of those gym assessments today.

It started with standing on a machine that measured your weight and all kinds of other things.

My metabolic age came out at 42! I couldn’t be happier!!
I’ll probably get run over by a bus tomorrow 

Make it stop!

15 hours ago, easytoslip said:

I wouldn't have heard over half the albums or read half the books I've read if I was able to find my mates easily back in the day. If I didn't find my mates I went home and listened to music or read. Especially listening to the folks old records. Kids have to be missing out somewhere along the way. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I wouldn't have heard over half the albums or read half the books I've read if I was able to find my mates easily back in the day. If I didn't find my mates I went home and listened to music or read. Especially listening to the folks old records. Kids have to be missing out somewhere along the way. 

Lack of face to face social interaction and the means to conduct conversations seem to be lacking in my opinion. I don't think you can gauge somebody without an actual meeting.

12 hours ago, easytoslip said:

I remember in my local in the mid to late nineties the payphone would always ring, often Saturday afternoon/evenings it would always be someone's bird or wife calling to get them home. Whoever would pick up the phone would go "just check for you love" and shout across the pub "is John in here" whilst looking directly at John who's shaking his head. "No love, not here, think he was in earlier but must have left"

Simpler times.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

37 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I used to listen to their records, a lot were C&W but some good singles, I still like some now. 

Usually out all day though, jump on the back of a bin wagon as they slowed down outside the Allisons and ride all the way to Sefton church, providing the driver never spotted us, then walk for miles

33 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I remember in my local in the mid to late nineties the payphone would always ring, often Saturday afternoon/evenings it would always be someone's bird or wife calling to get them home. Whoever would pick up the phone would go "just check for you love" and shout across the pub "is John in here" whilst looking directly at John who's shaking his head. "No love, not here, think he was in earlier but must have left"

Simpler times.

I remember that going on, they were simpler times. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Spotify have 'dropped' (grr) details of the most streamed artists and albums this year. I've heard of most of them, but have no idea about any of the albums or songs as I've actively listened to none of them, ever.

EoIG54gWEAEESjt?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EoIKFNeXUAA6d33?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EoIKyQ-XIAAUty9?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I've heard of 3 or 4 of the top artists of 2020. Of course that means nothing in real terms as I am far from their demographic,but there seems little chance of longevity for many of these artists as I dont see many of them inspiring others in the future in the way artists of the past have.