You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really think Arshavin will go for £10 million? I don't. Where would we accommodate him? He plays in the role where Gerrard is playing and, quite frankly, Gerrard is much better than him. 20+ goals and 20+ assists last season from Gerrard. The lad is phenomenal. The same with Van Der Vaart, where would we play him? To break up the almost telepathic relationship of Gerrard and Torres would be stupid, imo.

That's exactly it. Just because there's a good player available, doesn't make him right for a particular squad.

We've got plenty of talent in that area (central, sitting back from the front, and attacking - I'm not sure old-school positional definitions apply any more in the modern game), and I think it's tricky to have two 'top-of-their-game' players in the same position. One has to be subordinate to the other, which means Arshavin would play second fiddle to Gerrard pretty much unless Stevie gets injured. For a player on the rise, I don't think that would be an attractive option.

He looks a quality player, though, and one I'd be wary of if he was lining up against us.

From what i can understand with the Arshavin deal is that he has a release clause of £10 million but obviously if more then one team agree that fee then a 'bidding war' will start.

I have misgivings (nice lass) about signing someone based on their performances in 3-6 games at a tournament but Arshavin has looked good drifting out on the left and tore the Dutch a new one last night. If 10m triggers the release then expect the bidding to head nearer 20-25m after the Euros finish.

If he has a £10M release clause then why would anyone bid more than £10M for him?

you bid £10M, thats accepted due to meeting the ammount set in the clause, every other team intrested would just bid the same £10M and have there bid accepted, then its a straight fight for the player depending on where he wants to go and the terms offered by each team.

If a team was stupid enought to offer more than £10M, say £15M for arguments sake then there offer is accepted as well due to it exceeding the minimum ammount set by the clause but that doesnt affect teams offering £10M as there offers must be accepted as well.

I agree Jay thinking back at it then really they cant be a bidding war but purely loads of teams just bidding £10 million.

I would imagine the wages will higher from some teams though to try and sway the deal.

The only advantage of a team bidding higher then £10 million is if the player himself says he will only join the highest bidder as it helps his current club but considering Russian clubs do not need the cash i cant see that happening.

I agree Jay thinking back at it then really they cant be a bidding war but purely loads of teams just bidding £10 million.

I would imagine the wages will higher from some teams though to try and sway the deal.

The only advantage of a team bidding higher then £10 million is if the player himself says he will only join the highest bidder as it helps his current club but considering Russian clubs do not need the cash i cant see that happening.

I would imagine a massive signing on fee for the player as well, clubs may consider they are getting a £20M player for £10 and pay the difference or a large chunk of the difference as a signing on fee, similiar to what happens in bosman deals and i would imagine when a player buys out his contract.

I would imagine a massive signing on fee for the player as well, clubs may consider they are getting a £20M player for £10 and pay the difference or a large chunk of the difference as a signing on fee, similiar to what happens in bosman deals and i would imagine when a player buys out his contract.

A tenner for Arshavin is good business. Is Parry working for Zenit now?

From what i can understand with the Arshavin deal is that he has a release clause of £10 million but obviously if more then one team agree that fee then a 'bidding war' will start.

How can there be a bidding war if he has a release clause? You don't have to offer anymore. They only bidding war would be with regards to contracts. Zenit won't sell. UEFA cup winners, owned by Russian Oil Billionaires (real ones not Yank fakes), I don't think so. Even if they did the last team they'd sell to would be Chelski for obvious reasons.

How can there be a bidding war if he has a release clause? You don't have to offer anymore. They only bidding war would be with regards to contracts. Zenit won't sell. UEFA cup winners, owned by Russian Oil Billionaires (real ones not Yank fakes), I don't think so. Even if they did the last team they'd sell to would be Chelski for obvious reasons.

I realised my error a few posts up.

Reports that the Reds are considering a £15m swoop for Hamburg winger Rafael van der Vaart, meanwhile, are wide of the mark.

Completing Gareth Barry’s transfer from Aston Villa remains Rafa Benitez’s priority, with any future purchases dependent on the sales of Xabi Alonso and Peter Crouch.

Echo

But Dick Advocaat has said he wants to leave thus rendering all the money in the world useless in terms of how rich Zenit are.