You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Accordingly, the word ‘philosophy’ must mean something which stands above or below, but not beside the natural sciences. Not surprisingly, then, most of the propositions and questions to be found in philosophical works are not false but nonsensical. Is, then, philosophy doomed to be nonsense (unsinnig), or, at best, senseless (sinnlos) when it does logic, but, in any case, meaningless? What is left for the philosopher to do, if traditional, or even revolutionary, propositions of metaphysics, epistemology, aesthetics, and ethics cannot be formulated in a sensical manner?

Accordingly, the word ‘philosophy’ must mean something which stands above or below, but not beside the natural sciences. Not surprisingly, then, most of the propositions and questions to be found in philosophical works are not false but nonsensical. Is, then, philosophy doomed to be nonsense (unsinnig), or, at best, senseless (sinnlos) when it does logic, but, in any case, meaningless? What is left for the philosopher to do, if traditional, or even revolutionary, propositions of metaphysics, epistemology, aesthetics, and ethics cannot be formulated in a sensical manner?

come again?

What came before the big bang?

'Before-than and later-than relations can adequately account for time. All notions of A-theory time (past, present, future) can be reduced to tenseless B-theory:

instead of saying I am now (tensed) hungry, consider:

at time t at location x,y,z. person 1 is (tenselessly) hungry

therefore time is an illusion (at least the *flow* of time is an illusion), so your sentiment of what came before the big bang is possibly a daft question.

However I'll bite.

What came before the big bang?

A big crunch. What happens after this big bang? A big expansion that slows and slows until the universe begins to contract (a big crunch). The history of time is the history of many big bang - big crunch cycles.

If there is a creator, who created the creator?

There is no God.

Is time really linear, or is it another dimension?

I believe time to be analogous to space as held by four-dimensionalists (Sider et al.), it is the position most compatible with my B-theoretic view of time and my opinions on how objects persist in time (analogous to how objects exten in space).

Do you think the theories of quantum physics could apply to consciousness?

pass.

(!)

I'm reading Entangled Minds by Dean Radin at the moment. It shows the existence of psi (precognition, telepathy etc) by demonstrating the odds against chance of the results found in meta analysis. This connection, it could be theorised is very similar to "spooky action at a distance".

How you can be so sure there is no God when you know we know so little interests me.

I'm a philosopher. For a living. That is to say, I'm lucky enough to earn money doing what I love to do.

But I've no time for philosophical obscurantism. And that Wittgenstein quote is a case in point. Though he's by no means the worst case. Look France-ward for that. Or towards Essex, Warwick, and a few other "Continental" talking shops in the UK.

Political philosophy, environmental philosophy, philosophy of education, history of modern philosophy (especially the Enlightenment). That's my bag...

• Upvote 1

I'm a philosopher. For a living. That is to say, I'm lucky enough to earn money doing what I love to do.

But I've no time for philosophical obscurantism. And that Wittgenstein quote is a case in point. Though he's by no means the worst case. Look France-ward for that. Or towards Essex, Warwick, and a few other "Continental" talking shops in the UK.

Political philosophy, environmental philosophy, philosophy of education, history of modern philosophy (especially the Enlightenment). That's my bag...

What kind of political philosophy mate? Any good book recommendations?

Josef Svejk (great moniker), are you familiar with the thoughts of Mikhail Bakhtin, cause I'm currently writing an literature essay based on some of his ideas? Mainly the potential usage of the "cronotop" term on modern post-colonial texts.