You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strange Dreams

Section_31

Lots of dream related threads on the forum. Wanted to share a nightmare of mine from last night.

I have my share of vivid dreams, and I'm usually pretty good for remembering details when I wake up, but this one was a bit too crazy and real.

I was back in my early 20's and with my girlfriend at the time. She was a stunner. Bat shit crazy though. Violent, jealous, self-harming kind of crazy. Jumping out of moving cars insane. Gymnast body though. You take the good with the bad. Her name was Micheline. Haven't thought about her in years.

It seems she was an flight attendant in my dream (she did want to be one), and our entire family were on a trip to Hawaii (no idea why - probably a Christmas thing). I recall that she was definitely working for Alaska Airlines, as they are based in Seattle, and that's where we were flying from in the dream.

Anyways, she was going to meet us in Hawaii, as she had to work a flight there. In the meantime, I met another girl in Seattle and fell instantly in love. This girl was the complete opposite of Micheline. Blonde (or maybe redhead), quiet, calm, low maintenance, purrfect. I decided I would take her on the trip, and dump Micheline when I got to Hawaii. I knew there would be violence and pain involved, but I could contain/avoid most of the damage hiding out with my new girl somewhere on the island.

We got to the airport and were boarding the flight. It was going to be magical. I couldn't have been happier. As you enter the plane, there is always a hostess to greet you, and of course it was Micheline. She was going to surprise me by working our flight.

She looked over at my new girl and asked, "who's she" ?

That's when I woke up in a sweat. Snapped me right up in bed, and scared both the cats off me.

• Upvote 3

After watching about 1/3 of the excellent film about the corporate politics, economics and sociology of the early HIV/AIDS outbreak in America (with the cruelly under rated Matthew Mcconaughey) I had the following dream. 

The American comedian Bill Maher was telling me at a dinner party that the Swedes had found a way of preventing all venereal disease. He said they dive head first down a snowy mountain and just slide down for ages, and this process effectively cleans the penis and prevents all venereal disease. He said he had done it many times and that this is the only credible explanation for why he had not yet contracted a venereal disease. 

This is a small portion of the overall dream and the only part I remember. Its just weird to me how my unconscious went from the grim realities of "The Texas Buyers Club" to the optimistic idea that it could all be prevented by jumping stark bollock naked down a snow covered mountain. Maybe it means my subconscious is an optimist?

Anyone have 'nested' dreams, where you're dreaming within a dream?

I don't have them often, but had a really vivid one on Tuesday night. The main one was our house being burgled, with some surreal stuff going on where I was sort of playing detective and then going to look for revenge. I then 'woke up' within the dream and dreamt I went downstairs and told my wife about the main dream. 

Not quite Inception, but I love it when I dream like that- I've had 3 or 4 levels before where I keep 'waking up' within stacked dreams.

• Upvote 1

I had a fantastic dream the other night where I was some sort of demon/monster hunter. A short while in I realised it was a dream which made the whole experience much more enjoyable. I was chopping heads of like I was in highlander, safe in the knowledge that I was sound asleep.

• Upvote 1

A few weeks ago I was suffering from sleep paralysis too. Was stuck to my bed getting tormented by 2 evil spirits. I was screaming to try and wake my wife or move but alas, I couldn't. After much torment, I woke up and was in bed. We have full length mirros on our wardrobes. As I went to tell my wife about my dream, a screeching sound like nails on chalk started and in the glass, something started to draw. It said 'don't snitch on us'. I realised I was still asleep and was back on the bed in paralysis again. After more struggling, I woke up, my heart racing. I started to tell my wife about the dream. As I did I looked away at the mirror and saw some demon thing standing there. I said to my wife 'I'm still asleep aren't i' and she started cackling. As I turned around her face started to contort into some monster and started to torment me again. After another while I did genuinely wake up and tried to speak to my wife about my ordeal. She just told me to go back to sleep.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Anyone have 'nested' dreams, where you're dreaming within a dream?

I don't have them often, but had a really vivid one on Tuesday night. The main one was our house being burgled, with some surreal stuff going on where I was sort of playing detective and then going to look for revenge. I then 'woke up' within the dream and dreamt I went downstairs and told my wife about the main dream. 

Not quite Inception, but I love it when I dream like that- I've had 3 or 4 levels before where I keep 'waking up' within stacked dreams.

Nah never heard of those, I used to have lucid dreams all the time as a kid where I knew I was dreaming and I could wake myself up if I wanted.

Just now, Section_31 said:

Nah never heard of those, I used to have lucid dreams all the time as a kid where I knew I was dreaming and I could wake myself up if I wanted.

I still lucod dream now. Weirdly though, if I ever get any ideas to turn the dream a bit blue, I wake up. Otherwise I can stay asleep. Mildly infuriating.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Mike D said:

Ones where I wake up or feel awake but cannot move, sometimes happens to me If I fall asleep on the couch. Feel paralysed and can’t talk or shout for help. Can be a bit scary.

Yeah used to get that, it's called sleep paralysis. You are technically awake but your body is asleep, your body seizes up when you're asleep so you don't hurt yourself in the night but with this there's a delay in your body working again even though you're conscious.

Google something called 'the old hag', I've had it, basically it's a phenomenon where you think there's something in your room (people used to see a witch, as time went by it was aliens), basically your brain freaks out during sleep paralysis so projects a feeling of an 'evil presence' nearby that's trying to hurt you or stop you breathing.

I once had the feeling a woman was stood at the end of the couch going 'husssshhhhhh' with her finger over her lip and I couldn't move of speak. It wasn't nice.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, John102 said:

I still lucod dream now. Weirdly though, if I ever get any ideas to turn the dream a bit blue, I wake up. Otherwise I can stay asleep. Mildly infuriating.

Yeah me too, I've tried bumming people (usually women) and I always wake up, it's like the brain has an ethical failsafe.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Google something called 'the old hag', I've had it, basically it's a phenomenon where you think there's something in your room (people used to see a witch, as time went by it was aliens), basically your brain freaks out during sleep paralysis so projects a feeling of an 'evil presence' nearby that's trying to hurt you or stop you breathing.

Don't do this if you're of a nervous disposition...

6 hours ago, Anubis said:

I’ve had sleep paralysis a few times but never had the Old Hag experience. I’ve always realised what it was, calmed myself and waited for my body to catch up. I’m a zen master compared to you hopeless cases.

Yeah I had it as a teenager and just instinctively knew it was temporary, way before I heard about sleep paralysis. I used to have to pry my eyelids open with my fingers. 

I often dream I go the cinema its always the same make believe one and I remember it from previous dreams and remember the layout yet still dont realise its a dream and my seat always sticks out a few inches from the rest of the row or is sometimes a few inches behind or the person in front is way back squeezing me in and I've even been sat at the front on a kids school chair and everytime I'm like fuck sake every time I come here I get a fucked up seat, why do we come here this is a fucking ridiculous stupid place.

Xenomorph hunting and killing me is another reoccurring one too.

On the lucid dreaming thing, has anyone found how they do it has changed over the years?

When i was young, i could just imagine anything i wanted and it would kind of unfold before my eyes, at most id have to look to the side and whatever i was thinking was there.

Now i have to go through doors for everything. To go anywhere, to see anyone, anything. I have to go through the door and come out the otherside.

All very weird the brain.

I have 2 recurring dreams.

One I've had for donkey 's years is where I'm sat on the floor, legs straight out in front of me, I'm sat on the back of my hands with my palms touching the carpet. I start to concentrate and then I can levitate, only a few inches off the floor, but I can slowly move around.

Strangely frustrating but relaxing.

I can only remember my other recurring dream from the past few years.

It's of this big bungalow, set on the bend of busyish suburban road, it has a small drive and a bush on the left, a porch and a door. It's very familiar to me.

When I go in it's all a bit gloomy. I think the place has been left to me in somebody's will. It's a big place with a load of scruffy, delapidated bedrooms off to the right, badly in need of some tlc.

Straight ahead though I walk through the door to this small kitchen / bootroom area with a bathroom leading off from it and several other doors.

Venturing deeper takes me into this huge open plan living space with a huge couch and floor to ceiling windows and patio doors leading out directly onto a beach. The beach looks like it could be on the Atlantic or maybe the Pacific, not tropical, a bit windswept but lovely and refreshing like an early autumnal day. Kids are playing on the beach, a few families are there, it's a happy place.

Back inside, are some friends but I never quite seem to recognise them. They're relaxing on the huge couches, drinking beer, watching tv, eating.

They greet me before I venture off through another door to begin my tour onto the bedroom wing. I remember cobwebs and an old rickety wooden chair. I always remember thinking that the place will cost quite a bit of money and effort to do up but I love the place.

I always wake up about then but Ive dreamed of that place lots of times over the past few years. It's very frustrating too, because I know exactly where it is but it isn't there and the town too feels wrong.

Very peculiar.

I’ve had quite a few where in the house I’ve got a secret room, usually behind the wardrobe, only after Googling it just recently Ive discovered this is a real thing, particularly in big mansions, a safe room. 

Also a lot of getting chased dreams.

Usually running like mad down the stairs in school where I do that thing at the bottom of a flight of stairs where you hook yourself round by a pole and swing round to go down the next set of stairs.

• Upvote 1

Straight up. I had a an epic dream. It was soo fucking epic that credits went up at the end. Then people were applauding - silhouetteded against the screen of scrolling words.

Honest I am not shitting you here.

I can remember bits of it but not all - it went on for ages.

I'd post details but there were hardly any lezzies or aliens, so the GF wouldn't be interested.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Straight up. I had a an epic dream. It was soo fucking epic that credits went up at the end. Then people were applauding - silhouetteded against the screen of scrolling words.

Honest I am not shitting you here.

I can remember bits of it but not all - it went on for ages.

I'd post details but there were hardly any lezzies or aliens, so the GF wouldn't be interested.

Hardly any lezzies? That still leaves one or two so spill the beans.

• Upvote 1

On 23/12/2021 at 18:08, Section_31 said:

Yeah used to get that, it's called sleep paralysis. You are technically awake but your body is asleep, your body seizes up when you're asleep so you don't hurt yourself in the night but with this there's a delay in your body working again even though you're conscious.

I once had the feeling a woman was stood at the end of the couch going 'husssshhhhhh' with her finger over her lip and I couldn't move of speak. It wasn't nice.

Had a read up on it and I’ve defiantly had the feeling that someone is sat on my chest.

Ive had it where my bird was sat the other side of the room and I woke up and could see her and I was trying to shout to her to come and rock me and move me but couldn’t move or shout.

• 1 month later...

A weird dream last night.

I was at a wedding of an old work colleague I haven’t seen or even thought about in 10 years. At the wedding was the golfer Shane Lowry and golf commentator Ken Brown who in my dream was suffering with multiple sclerosis and as a result was now a 10 handicapper. Also there was Virgil Van Dijk and Graeme Souness. VVD was saying that when we (as in him, me and a few others) play football I am nicknamed “The Professor”? And then I went and played 18 holes with Lowry before coming back to the wedding but being unable to find wedding clothes and so going to the reception in my golf gear including my golf shoes. 

At the point my 3 year old wandered into the room and woke me up. So I’ve no idea what happened after. Odd.