You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Climate change - how arsed are you?

Paul

How arsed are you about climate change?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How arsed are you about climate change?

• Very. I do everything I possibly can to be greener.
    • Arsed. I do what I have to and a bit more, as long as it doesn't hurt my pocket.
    • Think it's an issue and I do what I have to, but I'm not sweating it.
    • Climate change, schmimate change. Big conspiracy to tax us more and sell us shit we don't need.

I remember a few years ago when they tried to stop an early morning tube in east london. Got short shrift (and a proper smack) from the builders who get the early tubes into the city to work on the building sites. It’s one thing to inconvenience middle class media luvvies  in Notting Hill, delaying your average hungover plasterer whilst he is on his way to a tough hourly paid construction job is a very different and more challenging proposition. 

2 hours ago, A Red said:

On the day our neighbours had their oil boiler and tank decomissioned in favour of a solar powered battery system, we've just had our new oil burning combi boiler delivered.

Jesus wept. Imagine being like you. Typical Tory “I’m alright Jack” and bragging about it. Pathetic 

Me and the old girl have talked about cashing in some of our savings with a couple of old life policies to finance solar panels and battery storage due to the ending of the Price Guarantee.

You still wont convince me that little old UK will make much of a dent to the World's co2 output while China, Russia, India, US, Germany etc pump out the lions share and doing little to change anytime soon.

I think everyone wants to live in a cleaner world dont they? I just hate the way UK citizens are being sacrifice on the high altar of being the first country in the world to be 'net zero' while the UK economy is tanking and people facing 5 grand a year energy bills.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Me and the old girl have talked about cashing in some of our savings with a couple of old life policies to finance solar panels and battery storage due to the ending of the Price Guarantee.

You still wont convince me that little old UK will make much of a dent to the World's co2 output while China, Russia, India, US, Germany etc pump out the lions share and doing little to change anytime soon.

I think everyone wants to live in a cleaner world dont they? I just hate the way UK citizens are being sacrifice on the high altar of being the first country in the world to be 'net zero' while the UK economy is tanking and people facing 5 grand a year energy bills.

I read a stat (could be bollocks but likely true) that the US Military emits more Co2 than around 100 countries combined. It's hard to get the ordinary person on board if that's the case. 

From my perspective I want my politicians to focus on:

- Cleaning up rubbish from rivers/streams and the environment in general. 

- Making recycling a lot easier. Providing recycling facilities for every type of item. Doing what Finland did: https://finland.fi/life-society/circular-economy-success-finlands-recycling-programme-keeps-bottles-and-cans-off-the-streets/#:~:text=You put the bottle in,get the deposit money back.&text=Finland's system for returning beverage,cornerstone of the system's success.

- Making companies add precise labelling about what part of the packaging can be recycled and how.

- Planting trees on every available piece of land that is suitable and safe for a tree. Road verges, more in parks; definitely more in cities. 

- Implementing huge fines for businesses that harm the environment. 

- Implement huge fines for individuals caught dumping. 

- Car scrappage schemes/Tax assistance to help people replace aging, polluting cars.

I don't think any of the above are difficult to do. There's just a lack of political will to get it all done. 

Our neighbours have also installed 2 log burners (expensive) and got a hefty (government) allowance for taking their old boiler out. Then there is the price of the batteries. It used to be our house and we installed their 32 solar panels which sit on a building between our properties, 16 of which still feed in to ours but they get the feed in tariff (16 is the max you can have per property). Most importantly we don't believe their solution will work in a big old Cornish farmhouse without cavity insulation.

The property that the new oil burner is for doesn't have a boiler (no allowance) or any form of radiators so we have installed under floor in the new bit and radiators in the old bit. It does have 16 solar panels. We looked at our options, electric too expensive obviously, gas not available so it was either LPG or oil. I would have loved to have gone totally green but just couldn't afford it.

So yes, the day they were taking theirs out we were getting a new one delivered.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, A Red said:

Our neighbours have also installed 2 log burners (expensive) and got a hefty (government) allowance for taking their old boiler out. Then there is the price of the batteries. It used to be our house and we installed their 32 solar panels which sit on a building between our properties, 16 of which still feed in to ours but they get the feed in tariff (16 is the max you can have per property). Most importantly we don't believe their solution will work in a big old Cornish farmhouse without cavity insulation.

The property that the new oil burner is for doesn't have a boiler (no allowance) or any form of radiators so we have installed under floor in the new bit and radiators in the old bit. It does have 16 solar panels. We looked at our options, electric too expensive obviously, gas not available so it was either LPG or oil. I would have loved to have gone totally green but just couldn't afford it.

So yes, the day they were taking theirs out we were getting a new one delivered.

I used to live in a remote property that used bottled gas. Nothing like having a finite supply of energy to make you economise.

On 19/10/2022 at 07:53, A Red said:

It’s like you need all the information before making a decision. Can’t blame you. 

• 2 months later...

Always gets on my tits when they say we are destroying the planet. Confirms are delusional idea that we are important. The planet will be fine. But we and a lot of life on earth are fucked. Not the 1st time we have done it. Look at extinction levels now. Every now and a gain the planet has a reset, ask the dinosaurs. Meteors, comets, volcanoes, climate, man, CO2, Many variables.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Good little article about a just stop oil protester who recently got sent down for 5 years ( don't know much about sentencing guidelines but seems very harsh) and how he's coping in jail (very well by the guist of it, biscuits and chess)

I admire their cause although I'm not sure how jumping on snooker tables wins people over. 

The first reply at the end of this article made me laugh, I get the impression the fellas a little underwhelmed by the protesters story.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/society/60913/why-i-went-to-prison-for-just-stop-oil?s=09