You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rotation is...

Kopite

Correct

It's like some people (particularly in the media) can't get the minds round the fact that the reason for our poor results away from home is that too many players aren't performing at their best rather than something Rafa is doing/not doing.

The likes of Alonso and Gerrard (KEY MEN) are not performing at anything like they are capable of.

I find it quite amusing that when Alonso has a dip in form the "not suited to the Premiership line/not good enough" line is trotted out.

It's like some people (particularly in the media) can't get the minds round the fact that the reason for our poor results away from home is that too many players aren't performing at their best rather than something Rafa is doing/not doing.

The likes of Alonso and Gerrard (KEY MEN) are not performing at anything like they are capable of.

I find it quite amusing that when Alonso has a dip in form the "not suited to the Premiership line/not good enough" line is trotted out.

And on the forum too

For years we were saying that we didn't have a strong enough squad and we were expecting too much from our key players ( Stevie G's legs in the F.a Cup Final?) Now he has increased the squad and is trying the rotation to see if he can save legs and take us to the next level. Fuck me, we have used every other excuse for not winning the league lets give it a go and see whether it kicks in. ITS ONLY OCTOBER and we have had the more difficult start out nof all the teams and we are ONLY SIX POINTS BEHIND.

For years we were saying that we didn't have a strong enough squad and we were expecting too much from our key players ( Stevie G's legs in the F.a Cup Final?) Now he has increased the squad and is trying the rotation to see if he can save legs and take us to the next level. Fuck me, we have used every other excuse for not winning the league lets give it a go and see whether it kicks in. ITS ONLY OCTOBER and we have had the more difficult start out nof all the teams and we are ONLY SIX POINTS BEHIND.

Very sensible post.

Because, for me, the rotation has been much greater this season.

Yup. Last season the arguments were exactly the same, weren't they? As soon as we got a settled team and shape and actually decided to take the game to the opposition from the off, we started picking up results. It'll be the same this season, I'm sure of it.

Our two best runs last season :

Period: 29 Oct 2005 - 14 Jan 2006

Games played & record: 18 (14W 3D 1L)

Changes made to starting 11: 56

Average changes per game: 3.11

Period: 15 Mar 2006 - 13 May 2006

Games played & record: 12 (12W 0D 0L)

Changes made to starting 11: 49

Average changes per game: 4.08

over 62 competitive games, Rafa made on average 3.63 changes per game.

Since the Sheff Utd game he's averaging 3.18 changes this season in all games.

Pissed. On. Bonfires.

Steve, posts like the above one should always be finished with "How do you them apples?".

;)

Interesting, but where do those stats come from, and how are they worked out? How do you make 49 changes to the starting 11 in 12 games? That means that 4 players were dropped for 4 other players on average each game, which I find hard to believe.

Guest attacking_play

Alonso & gerrard are obviously tired.

Last season was long (pre-qualifiers in C.L. + domestic season + FA Cup run)

then it was straight to the world cup.

now its a new season with pre-qualifiers & C.L. matches and + premiership again.

They never got any bloody rest, they're knackered.

Xabi is scoring from his own half cos he cant be shagged running upfield ;)

Only thing I don't understand is why rotate squad before an international break? We don't have a game for a fortnight and it's not our job to get players fit for international duty.

Because there's more to rotation that fitness levels. There's a tactical element to it as well as a fitness one. It's also about who Rafa perceives to have the right skills and qualities to overcome the skills, qualities and limitations of individual opposition players e.g. Gerrard on the left against Chelsea. Sami's aerial ability is one of his strong points so it stands to reason he was given a slot against an up and under side.

But which players were rotated? Gerrard? Carra? Sami? Crouch? Like I've said countless times, I'm not against rotation at all, just the level of it and especially some of the individuals concerned. Why has Crouch been used so sparingly in away games - the very scenario Rafa said he bought him for? I want to see consistency of selection in the spine of the team with a few changes on the periphery. I definitely want to see the same defence every week.

Guest attacking_play
Never had a problem with zonal marking (apart from where there is a stand out obvious indivdual threat)

Don't have a problem with a little rotation. Not playing form players and the constant moving around of Gerrard pisses me off. Injuries permitting we also need to keep a settled back 5.

Not playing form players and the constant moving around of Gerrard pisses me off. (its called rotation)

....we also need to keep a settled back 5. (can't do that - rotation)

I checked Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U and how many changes they've made from one PL game to the next. After 7 games (6 for Arsenal) these are the facts:

Match nr 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Man U (16p) 0 4 2 3 5 5 1 (average 3,34)

Chelsea (16p) 0 2 3 2 2 3 1 (average 2,17)

Arsenal (11p) 0 2 2 2 1 3 (average 2,0)

Liverpool (10p) 0 6 3 5 2 3 2 (average 3,5)

Make of it what you want. As a sidenote; We won the game we made the most changes in.

But which players were rotated? Gerrard? Carra? Sami? Crouch? Like I've said countless times, I'm not against rotation at all, just the level of it and especially some of the individuals concerned. Why has Crouch been used so sparingly in away games - the very scenario Rafa said he bought him for? I want to see consistency of selection in the spine of the team with a few changes on the periphery. I definitely want to see the same defence every week.

Because the manager has spent some £15M on two new strikers that he possibly deems more fit to the task?