You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Positives

nibbler

Agger and Warnock Both class yesterday and should play every important match for me.

Defensively yesterday we looked back to our best, their only goal was practically undefendable. I watched it from about 9 different angles and Carra's positioning was perfect. If Reina hadnt been unsighted then he might ave got there but it was just a great piece of solo play from a speculative long ball. The only other chance they had was from a set piece and Agger saved the day - albeit after the ref had already blown for an infringement anyway.

Going forward there are lots of positives too. Bellamy is ten times the player Cisse ever was and he will get us goals this season. Kuyt was magnificent again - so unluck hitting the bar early on. If anything I think he works a little too hard early on and seems to go off the boil towards the end of the game for me - I felt he could have done more with the openings late on.

For me there were two reasons we didnt score a ton yesterday, 1) too many long balls when playing it short would have been a better option. Playing on the counter attack is no excuse for spraying balls to non-existent players. 2) Some very clever Garcia-esque interplay between the front 4 fell short of creating gaping holes in the Chelsea line because of a lack of understanding which is something that can only improve. I felt it would have made more sense often to move Alonso up the park a bit and hammer in shots from anything lose on the edge of the bo rather than trying to jink it between Terry and Carvalho.

Anyway, in summary I think this team shows some very promising signs - has improved massively already this season and WILL gel into something capable of winning the league and playing great football. I think its just a case of how long it takes the team to gel and I'm hoping weeks not months. Once we get on a roll and start scoring this seasons team WILL be better than last seasons, I'm just hoping we're still in 4 competitions when it happens!

All this "Gerrard is shit!" stuff is bollox and frankly makes the individuals responsible sound very ignorant.

Walk on!

I thought Alonso was a plus... and I'm seriously getting tired of this long balls and I just realised that the English/British players tend to do it the most. It's that fucking mentatlity of theirs, Carra is a legend but shit is all those hoof as soon as you get it ....blah... and Warnock did the same. I was watching Arsenal passing it around and jesus that's good football.

Oh - and Andy Gray is just a massive twat! He sits there and spouts shit for 4 fucking hours and gets payed like a king for it. What bollocks he came out with yesterday!

"Gerrard should refuse to play anywhere but centre mid."

"If Liverpool lose today then the premiership is lost."

With fuckers like that "educating" most of the football watching public its no fucking wonder you get people on here shitting all over our top players after one mediocre performance.

I thought Alonso was a plus... and I'm seriously getting tired of this long balls and I just realised that the English/British players tend to do it the most. It's that fucking mentatlity of theirs, Carra is a legend but shit is all those hoof as soon as you get it ....blah... and Warnock did the same. I was watching Arsenal passing it around and jesus that's good football.

Yeah, Alonso was a lot better than he was in the derby so hopefully its a sign he's recovering his form. He's the only person I want to see spraying long balls ever. There's a lot talked about long balls, but a 50 yard defence splitting pass - call it what you will - is a joy to behold. We should have exploited the width Chelsea allowed us rather than hoof it up to Kuyt on far too many occasions for me. There was one in particular from Pennant that just made me scream - he's a fucking winger for fuck's sake!!!

Yeah, Alonso was a lot better than he was in the derby so hopefully its a sign he's recovering his form. He's the only person I want to see spraying long balls ever. There's a lot talked about long balls, but a 50 yard defence splitting pass - call it what you will - is a joy to behold. We should have exploited the width Chelsea allowed us rather than hoof it up to Kuyt on far too many occasions for me. There was one in particular from Pennant that just made me scream - he's a fucking winger for fuck's sake!!!

Carra doesnt do those 50 yard spliiting ones. he just tries and hit Crouch or one of our strikers and its extremely annoying and fustrating when we all know we play very well when its too feet.

Spot on post pal. We just need time to gel in an attacking sense, we've just had half a team grafted onto the forward line, and the new lads have hardly played together.

I can see a lot of goals from this team we opened the chavs defence up with ease but just lacked tat anticipation to exploit it - I just wish we had a few easy games next so the players could work each other out - Newcastle and Spurs are hardly gentle introductions are they? Gonna need the Kop in full voice I feel.

We carved open Chelsea more than any club has or will this season yesterday, 3 one on ones with Cech where we either hit it at him or hit the bar, where at the same time restricting Chelsea to doing nothing on the offensive front other than having a wonder strike. Who else can say they will be doing that at Stamford bridge?

I thought Warnock was quite weak yeaterday. His booking was slightly unfair but Drogba had the beating of him.

Disagree, thought his positioning was spot on and tackling was solid. After Aurelio came on he got caught out a couple of times unnecesarily forcing himself into a Traore-esque last ditch tackle at one point. He's not a "champagne" player warnock and he offers little going up the park but he's turning into a left-hand-finnan for me.

Disagree, thought his positioning was spot on and tackling was solid. After Aurelio came on he got caught out a couple of times unnecesarily forcing himself into a Traore-esque last ditch tackle at one point. He's not a "champagne" player warnock and he offers little going up the park but he's turning into a left-hand-finnan for me.

Was saying to my mate, there was a reason why Rafa wouldn't let him go for Lucas Neil, the lad is one of those understated players who will be class but no one will notice. Just like Finnan.

Was saying to my mate, there was a reason why Rafa wouldn't let him go for Lucas Neil, the lad is one of those understated players who will be class but no one will notice. Just like Finnan.

Yeah, I like those players!

For me the biggest non-signing we ever lost out on was Bixente Lizarazou from Bayern just after the 98 World Cup. Houlier had a crack but changed his mind but the guy just ran all day long and was a linchpin of that France win for me but very unnoticed.

Guest hyypiagirl

A draw against PSV ,A Loss against Chelsea Our midfield is more concentrating on defending...our strikers can't finish the ball in the net . Our Best players are dropped. Crouch is scoring consistantly why was he on the Bench for most of the match. M. Gonzales has been playing well and he was left out. Sami Hyypia our consistant defender was sitting on the sub bench yet again..I fail to see anything positive from our last couple of matches. Carra does not look fully fit yet.

A draw against PSV ,A Loss against Chelsea Our midfield is more concentrating on defending...our strikers can't finish the ball in the net . Our Best players are dropped. Crouch is scoring consistantly why was he on the Bench for most of the match. M. Gonzales has been playing well and he was left out. Sami Hyypia our consistant defender was sitting on the sub bench yet again..I fail to see anything positive from our last couple of matches. Carra does not look fully fit yet.

Fuck off you Bluenose runt.

I forced myself to sit through the whole game again last night and I still can't believe how we didn't get anything from that game. Even before Ballack went off we were comfortable and in control and were playing good football, if not a little wasteful at times, and should have been at least 2-0 up. Frustrated is not the word.

And Xabi was superb all game.

I can see by your user name and general demeanour around the place you will have the "Hyypia should be knighted and given freedom of the city of Liverpool" agenda.

I agree Hyypia still can offer us things, but all I will say is look at the difference between the Everton and Chelsea games in terms of our defence being solid. Johnson ran our defence ragged in a tin pot side, targetting Hyypia. Drogba and Shevchenko were both kept at bay with Carra and Agger and it took magic to unlock the defence. Bear in mind Drogba has made Hyypia look silly on a number of occasions.

No defender was at fault for anything yesterday, the unit was back to its best and Agger is a revelation.

Crouch over Kuyt is a judgement call, I reckon you'd find opinions split 50:50 over supporters - I tcertainly dont think playing him was a mistake.

Gonzalez is going to be good for us and I would have wanted him to come on instead of Zenden to exploit the width but to be honest Zended did marvelous when he came on, you can't barrate the manager for that.

I just dont understand your attitude tbh

For me there were two reasons we didnt score a ton yesterday, 1) too many long balls when playing it short would have been a better option. Playing on the counter attack is no excuse for spraying balls to non-existent players. 2) Some very clever Garcia-esque interplay between the front 4 fell short of creating gaping holes in the Chelsea line because of a lack of understanding which is something that can only improve. I felt it would have made more sense often to move Alonso up the park a bit and hammer in shots from anything lose on the edge of the bo rather than trying to jink it between Terry and Carvalho.

I think you missed the most important one:

3) We didn't take our chances. They don't come much bigger than the ones Gerrard and Crouch failed to convert.

The players need to be fired up on Wednesday, to show a bit of character and mettle. No doubt they will be aware of the criticism coming from pundits, ex-players, supporters and internet-nerdlingers and will want to put it right. They simply have to be firing on all cylinders right from the first whistle, right to the last as you would expect that a team like Newcastle would be perfect to get the passing game going and slot a few goals in.

However, confidence will be a bit on the low side after one terrible league performance where we made defensive lapses and one decent performance where the problem lay with the attack. I don't think Newcastle will be a pushover and in Duff and martins they have two fast tricky players who can score goals. I'd prefer to be proved wrong and for us to get 3 or 4 without reply of course.

Midweek league games at home are usually a shite atmosphere but I hope the moaning twats get behind the team and inspire us on to victory.

Guest hyypiagirl
I can see by your user name and general demeanour around the place you will have the "Hyypia should be knighted and given freedom of the city of Liverpool" agenda.

I agree Hyypia still can offer us things, but all I will say is look at the difference between the Everton and Chelsea games in terms of our defence being solid. Johnson ran our defence ragged in a tin pot side, targetting Hyypia. Drogba and Shevchenko were both kept at bay with Carra and Agger and it took magic to unlock the defence. Bear in mind Drogba has made Hyypia look silly on a number of occasions.

It was Carra who gave them the ball to score and Reina dropped it in the net. I am not being bias but without Sami Hyyia's intelligent defending we will suffer. IT should Sami ,Carra and Agger in our defence

Guest hyypiagirl
The players need to be fired up on Wednesday, to show a bit of character and mettle. No doubt they will be aware of the criticism coming from pundits, ex-players, supporters and internet-nerdlingers and will want to put it right. They simply have to be firing on all cylinders right from the first whistle, right to the last as you would expect that a team like Newcastle would be perfect to get the passing game going and slot a few goals in.

However, confidence will be a bit on the low side after one terrible league performance where we made defensive lapses and one decent performance where the problem lay with the attack. I don't think Newcastle will be a pushover and in Duff and martins they have two fast tricky players who can score goals. I'd prefer to be proved wrong and for us to get 3 or 4 without reply of course.

Midweek league games at home are usually a shite atmosphere but I hope the moaning twats get behind the team and inspire us on to victory.

Sami ,Agger and Carra should all play and Crouch for Bellamy