You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Best Film of the Last 12 months!

ScouseJim

Which has been the best film of the last 12 months..

United-93 for it's showing of terrible truths and bravery

MI:III for it's over the top action

etc etc.

My fave has been V for Vendetta.. so stylish and a really good watch.. Can't wait for the DVD

United 93 matched Schindler's List for me in terms of being the most powerful experience I've ever had at the pictures.

Loved X-Men and Mission Impossible 3, too.

NB, since having our first child nearly five years ago, we have gone from going to the pictures on weekly basis, to going on a quarterly basis, so my range of choices is limited.

Was sim city inside the last 12 months? Brilliant, although the Count will probably remember more, given time.

Don't know, but I watched it again on DVD last night and it is awesome. (Assuming you mean Sin City, here).

Guest Blakes 7

The Proposition was a big surprise for me, it was amazing but quite disturbing.

Only shown at FACT here in Liverpool so not sure how many people got to see it but it was fantastic and further enhanced the reputations of both Ray Winstone and Guy 'Mike outa neighbours' Pierce

The best film I've seen in the last 12 months is Walk the Line[/i]. Haven't seen United 93 yet.

Loved that film. Watched it at 2am on the plane home from Gran Canaria and normally the film acts like a sedative but I was totally engrossed. Two great performances in that fillm.

Another favourite was 'Downfall' which I saw at the end of last year. Awesome.

Looking forward to seeing 'Munich' as I missed that at the cinema.

3 Iron (i think it may have been last year) by Kim Ki Duk. A masterpiece.

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance was this year so i'll go for that if i cant have 3 Iron.

Other mentions: Walk the Line, History of Violence,

And on DVD: Uzumaki, Primer, Downfall.

The Proposition was a big surprise for me, it was amazing but quite disturbing.

Only shown at FACT here in Liverpool so not sure how many people got to see it but it was fantastic and further enhanced the reputations of both Ray Winstone and Guy 'Mike outa neighbours' Pierce

That's the Aussie one written by Nick Cave, isn't it? Guy Pearce is a superb actor and chooses some great fucking parts for himself. I haven't seen this, but I really want to - as with Walk The Line.

The pictures :D You old cunt. My grandad calls it the picture house.

Next up, best ditty you've heard on the wireless.

Twat! I still call it the picture house, and I'm still in my 30s.

I dunno.

Younguns today... I've heard about your type on the Aldis Lamp..

I just don't understand why people liked Sin City, I thought it was fucking shite. Too many silly characters and a wandering plot line had me turn it off after about an hour. Definitely one of the most boring films I've seen

A History of Violence on the other hand was class, good plot, big guns, over the top Hollywood violence and tits, what more can you possibly ask for in a film?

I just don't understand why people liked Sin City, I thought it was fucking shite. Too many silly characters and a wandering plot line had me turn it off after about an hour. Definitely one of the most boring films I've seen

A History of Violence on the other hand was class, good plot, big guns, over the top Hollywood violence and tits, what more can you possibly ask for in a film?

That second paragraph was exactly the reason you didnt like Sin City. Purely because it was something different and fresh from the norm and you dun' like eh

Did anyone manage to see Broken Flowers featuring Bill Murray at any point this year? It's one of those "but he's not being funny" films where it's all very subtle and slow but I really liked it. Had an ending where you were just thinking "What....what kind of a place is that to leave it" but it made you think a bit.

That second paragraph was exactly the reason you didnt like Sin City. Purely because it was something different and fresh from the norm and you dun' like eh

Yeah not really, the only fresh/different thing about Sin City was the comic book style thing, which I actually quite liked. The reasons I didn't like it were the normal reasons people don't like films, eg plot, characters, length etc..

Actually Lord of War has to be the best film I watched this year. Some of the things that happened in that film I thought 'bollocks, that'd never happen in real life', but it acutally did. Such as America just leaving piles of guns behind after various conflicts because it was cheaper to make new ones rather than ship the used ones back.

is that the one where he was runnin around japan?

if so yeah I did once when i was very very drunk - I seem to remember liking it though

No, that was Lost in Translation. There are certain similarities though in that it is Bill Murray and he isn't putting his hand up when he wants you to laugh.

No, that was Lost in Translation. There are certain similarities though in that it is Bill Murray and he isn't putting his hand up when he wants you to laugh.

I like Bill Murray, I think he's a very under-rated actor.

Best film of the year for me has to be Walk The Line. A great film, with two outstanding performances, and possibly the greatest movie soundtrack ever.