You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

Unlike many of his contemporaries working in the US, Gillen has embraced American roles and has the accent under his belt. Along with preparing for another season as Carcetti, he is currently rehearsing David Mamet's American Buffalo for the Gate Theatre in Dublin and last year filmed Blackout, an American indie thriller. 'I can see a pattern emerging,' muses Gillen. 'They're all American characters. I hadn't thought about that before.'

Taking the missus to see this on Valentine's night. I'm sure I won't be the only Wire fan there.

Taking the missus to see this on Valentine's night. I'm sure I won't be the only Wire fan there.

Despite my job, I'm not a big fan of the theatre as I think it's exceptionally hit and miss and there's loads of pretentious shite around that manages to get lauded by the critics (yes, I'm looking at you, Mark Ravenhill). Having said that, I love David Mamet's stuff and would really like to see it on stage - especially Glengarry Glen Ross.

Back on The Wire, Aiden Gillen and Dominic West aren't the only cast members from these isles. Idris Elba who plays Stringer is British.

Despite my job, I'm not a big fan of the theatre as I think it's exceptionally hit and miss and there's loads of pretentious shite around that manages to get lauded by the critics (yes, I'm looking at you, Mark Ravenhill). Having said that, I love David Mamet's stuff and would really like to see it on stage - especially Glengarry Glen Ross.

Back on The Wire, Aiden Gillen and Dominic West aren't the only cast members from these isles. Idris Elba who plays Stringer is British.

Didn't realise that either - some phenomenal accents from all three. Probably a fair bit of truth in that Dominic West comment about American actors not being prepared to live in Baltimore for five years....and the price tag.

Would be interesting to compare the overheads for a series of The Sopranos vs The Wire.

Woo-hoo!!! Here it comes!!! Tuesday 13th February is the start of the new season on UK telly on FX channel. This new season was written to be accessible to new viewers without alienating people who've been in from the start. It follows four teenage lads in a Baltimore high school and shows how they get caught up in the city's drug problems, whilst still inter-weaving the cops, dealers and politicians from seasons 1-3.

Also, Season 3 is out on DVD on February 5th. Get onto it, telly fans. Best thing ever made for the small screen.

Oooh, oooh, oooh!!!

• 2 months later...

those of people who think it's the best thing they've ever seen and those from people who've never seen it. If you're in the first category, enjoy; if you're in the latter, I'm a school yo' asses on that shit. True dat.

Snoop opening Season 4 (she's a girl):

Omar vs Brother Mouzone (the hardest, coolest gay character ever invented and a psychotic Nation of Islam hitman):

Here Omar is inside having been set up by an enemy for killing "a citizen", which, being a Robin Hood type dude with a strong code, he'd never do. Here he rides the dual storm of being gay and having ripped off virtually every drug dealer in Baltimore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shs_JZ38SU8&mode=related&search=

Detective Jimmy McNulty (he likes "a taste"):

Bubbles, the gentleman smackhead, informant and mobile salesman, takes a tour through "Hamsterdam", Major Bunny Colvin's experiment in dealing with Baltimore's drug problem:

The mighty Detective 'Bunk' Moreland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEKLoN3dWlA&mode=related&search=

Here's Cutty, who's just done ten years in the hole for Avon, telling him he can't be a soldier any more. Slim Charles is the other dude there:

I could keep on and on at this all day long. There are hundreds of clips on YouTube and every single one is brilliant. If you haven't seen this, go get it. Amazon have got Season 1 with 50% off. You won't look back. True dat.

i dont think it's the best thing that ive ever seen but i do like it alot, ive watched it all out of sink though because it's on free to air and on cable but the cable one is season 2 and TV was season 3.

I dont know if im up to date the last episode i saw was the end of the season with the Greek and the dock workers.

Wow .. you have worked hard on that Paul.did you a a wire time .

I am bang up to date on series 4 after watching 3 back to back last week.

I still get narked when an episode finishes.

I heard that they were going to do a spin off purely on the political side.

Gonna get the second when I get paid, along with Shield season five.

The wire was written by some journo I read somewhere, and has a large degree of authenticity to it, Baltimore doens't seem like a nice gaff at all..

The wire was written by some journo I read somewhere, and has a large degree of authenticity to it, Baltimore doens't seem like a nice gaff at all..

Well, it's on the east coast, so it can fuck off.

To slightly go off the wire.

Shield series 5.Can I fuck find series 3 & 4 let alone 5 .Who do you know?

Back to the Wire

PLOT SPOILER

I hope Bubbs sorts out that naughty bully soon.

Back to the Wire

PLOT SPOILER

amazon.com mate, the US site, get them imported for the equivelant of around 40 notes.

Time to get theDVD chipped and start importing then.

Thanks very much Section

I doubt you'll need a chip fella, most players are already set-up to play region-1, you just need to input a code first.

Put the make and model of your dvd player into google followed by the words 'region unlock code'.

I read today that FX will be showing the entire first four seasons back to back from June sometime (the 19th, I think). Check out the FX website for details. If you haven't seen it, get on board. Guaranteed brilliance.

I haven't seen the last episode of 4 yet, which is on tomorrow night, but an indication of the scope of its story-telling lies in the fact that a massive secret in the personal life of one of the characters was revealed in Season 3 and it hasn't been so much as mentioned in 4. In any other show, you'd think that was a fuck up, but with The Wire you know it's deliberate. They'll bring it back into the story in the next (and last) season.

Stunning. Just absolutley stunning mate. I garuntee that you won't be disappointed.

I'm just finishing the second season of The Wire, it's an excellent show, but I think The Shield is the better of the two. Gonna get season 3 this week.

Tell us what you're ya doing and we'll tell you why it's a crime.

Shit Mackey, if i stop watching the wire are you gonna hold this third strike over me for ever?

I could lie to you, but I have far too much respect for you as a person...yes i am.

Vic Mackey is great. Best cop ever. I'd fuck him up though.

Instead of that show 'Ross Kemp on gangs' they should do 'Vic Mackey on gangs'

'These guys over here are part of the one-niners, they're not as dangerous as they used to be since i made their leader my personal bitch.'

A case of TV license fee well spent if ever there was one.

Back to the Wire

PLOT SPOILER

I got series 3,4 & 5 of the shield from this shop on E-Bay:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Express-Dvds-UK-Store_W0QQsspagenameZL2QQtZkm

They are all region 1 (US).

• 2 weeks later...

Paul mate, kudos. Halfway through season 3 of The Wire and it's just brilliant. I'm on nights all week and I'm sitting up all night watching it. Brilliant show.

P.S. The Shield is still better!