You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Youre always going to have a few but the good news is the vast majority of the country now want public ownership Arnie and the vast majority of the country want to keep the NHS out of private hands. 

It's the people who refusing to deliver the will of those people who are the real cunts.

I think ive said before though this about turn is mainly due to middle class people realsing their bills have shot up,rather than any ideological concerns.

Corbyn refuses to apologise for nationalisation plans: ‘It’s the norm in European countries’ | The Independent | The Independent

how times change eh?

10 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I think ive said before though this about turn is mainly due to middle class people realsing their bills have shot up,rather than any ideological concerns.

Corbyn refuses to apologise for nationalisation plans: ‘It’s the norm in European countries’ | The Independent | The Independent

how times change eh?

Yeah they do seem to be changing Arnie. People have finally woken up to being ripped off. Good. 

21 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

how times change eh?

Hold on, do you think these simplistic questions weren’t getting the same answers when they had a chance to vote for it under Corbyn in ‘17 and ‘19? If not, what about turn are you talking about?

26 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Hold on, do you think these simplistic questions weren’t getting the same answers when they had a chance to vote for it under Corbyn in ‘17 and ‘19? If not, what about turn are you talking about?

Oh fuck, Cutthroat Charlie's back.

36 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

not sure what you mean?

would you say there was widespread support for renationalisation back in 2019?  

Especially when you get supposedly centreist newspapers demanding he apologise?,

27 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

So much aggression from a fair few of you.  Do you never read pages back to yourselves and ask what you might have said different to help progress the discussion? 

Some of you just aren't good for each other. 

The argument was done a very long time ago. If you can't reason with somebody, I'd sooner have them drip-dried. 

39 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

would you say there was widespread support for renationalisation back in 2019?  

It's not about what I say, mate; there's a lot of information about about public opinion and trends when it comes to nationalisation. For example, we were talking about the NHS, which in '22 (linked by Gnasher) was roughly 85/10/5 in terms of public/private/undecided. Guess what it was in 2017? 85/10/5. There's been increases in some areas, and if you want to track it accurately then the information is there - apologies for not having it memorised. But there hasn't been this massive turn around from most people wanting privatisation when asked a simple question (which is important in this whole thing) in 2019 to now loads wanting them to be in public hands (you see, there's a big difference between asking who you want to own/run something and then asking the question about how much it would cost to renationalise and the role of these services in the future). Corbyn supporters have long since bragged that they went into the election with popular policies. So everyone has gone mad and is voting against Corbyn because they liked his policies, or something else is happening. 

For me, I want everything foundational to be nationalised. Not necessarily the entire industry, but there needs to be a public owned option. Renationalisation in the next parliament? With this economy. Only in the fantasy world where you just take it back and pay nothing - which is laughably ignorant of the knock-on effects - is that going to happen. The economy is on a knife edge. Truss only had to *say* something for the economy to crash. I actually think that there needs to be a big review of the long term needs of the people of the country and then a solution - preferably cross party - to address it. There needs to be more modern solutions than going back to 70s solutions. 

18 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It's not about what I say, mate; there's a lot of information about about public opinion and trends when it comes to nationalisation. For example, we were talking about the NHS, which in '22 (linked by Gnasher) was roughly 85/10/5 in terms of public/private/undecided. Guess what it was in 2017? 85/10/5. There's been increases in some areas, and if you want to track it accurately then the information is there - apologies for not having it memorised. But there hasn't been this massive turn around from most people wanting privatisation when asked a simple question (which is important in this whole thing) in 2019 to now loads wanting them to be in public hands (you see, there's a big difference between asking who you want to own/run something and then asking the question about how much it would cost to renationalise and the role of these services in the future). Corbyn supporters have long since bragged that they went into the election with popular policies. So everyone has gone mad and is voting against Corbyn because they liked his policies, or something else is happening. 

For me, I want everything foundational to be nationalised. Not necessarily the entire industry, but there needs to be a public owned option. Renationalisation in the next parliament? With this economy. Only in the fantasy world where you just take it back and pay nothing - which is laughably ignorant of the knock-on effects - is that going to happen. The economy is on a knife edge. Truss only had to *say* something for the economy to crash. I actually think that there needs to be a big review of the long term needs of the people of the country and then a solution - preferably cross party - to address it. There needs to be more modern solutions than going back to 70s solutions. 

Poundshop Andrew Tate.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Obviously the landscape has changed now but my point that corbyn was broadly in favour of taking some industries back into public ownership and without a doubt, it was yet another stick to beat him with.(I think I said a while ago I don't really get this almost visceral opposition to such a policy-a legacy of Thatcherism perhaps?)

I just got the sense that a lot of people only really saw the downside of privatisation when it hit them in the pocket, but that's just my opinion.

I definitely think there is an argument to say mass privatisation has been an utter disaster but like you say,there needs to be a discussion around that, but you certainly won't see that view expressed in much of the media. 

Which is where starmer will have his work cut out for him

31 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

She gets absolutely slated the fucking dickhead.

She's a mouthy grifter. Amongst other things took donations for a non starter deputy leader campaign, dropped out, kept the cash. I can't stand her. Plus she's  out of depth in her job. 

Labour has a lot of really good MPs who are trying to make a real difference and help peoples lives. Unfortunately these are the MPs who seem to get a lot shit from people who should know better. Some of those MPs I've defended above on this thread.

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Makes Labours stance on common ownership more infuriating. The prize is within grasp to be claimed. Think of your postie, think of your sky high energy bills, think of the profits made by others on your water.  

It's like finally winning the league but letting the opposition keep the cup and the prize money.

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Makes Labours stance on common ownership more infuriating. The prize is within grasp to be claimed. Think of your postie, think of your sky high energy bills, think of the profits made by others on your water.  

It's like finally winning the league but letting the opposition keep the cup and the prize money.

I like the bit where the Greens are ahead of the Liberal Pointlessocrats. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I like the bit where the Greens are ahead of the Liberal Pointlessocrats. 

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

Is right, polling 3rd, fucking marvellous!

Ah, don't get too excited, I'm sure they'll find some way to to help the Tories. It's what they do.

27 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I hope you're referring to the Lib Dums young man!

Well they're generally referred to as the Limp Dems in polite society round here, but yeah. If you could rely on them to not go into government with the Tories, murder squirrels by the hundreds while enabling Johnson's horror show and not pretend the tens of thousands of austerity deaths were worth charging for plastic bags, then they might be worth laughing at instead of visceral hatred. Still wouldn't vote for the lying cunts again though. Fuckers.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Well they're generally referred to as the Limp Dems in polite society round here, but yeah. If you could rely on them to not go into government with the Tories, murder squirrels by the hundreds while enabling Johnson's horror show and not pretend the tens of thousands of austerity deaths were worth charging for plastic bags, then they might be worth laughing at instead of visceral hatred. Still wouldn't vote for the lying cunts again though. Fuckers.

Fair points, we'll made.

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

That said, a few seats taken from Tories in the next election would be moderately appreciated, please and thank you.