You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Not really, a black woman who thinks black people are not discriminated against isn’t winning votes from the black community. 

I think she's willing to overlook the discrimination that exists for personal gain rather than truly believing it doesn't exist. Either way the results the same.

3 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

My point is of all the current candidates she will be the hardest to portray as a cliched Tory. She’s young, articulate and not yet another rich white middle aged male trying to run the country. I’m pretty certain Labour would rather fight an election against Jeremy Hunt than her. 

Voted: Against higher taxes on banks, For Brexit, Against marriage equality for LGBT+ people, For stricter asylum, Was director of the far right Spectator publication.

FXPbUvEWQAE_NpT?format=jpg&name=large

“Kemi Badenoch violated me, assaulted the free press and still refuses to apologise” | Evening Standard

Oh she's a tory alright. She better not drink a can on mojito on her evening commute

She's a tory, she's not drinking anything from a can, she'll have her entourage brought from economy to mix it at her seat before having them dragged back to slum it with the masses dragging the Fortnum and Masons hamper behind them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I think she's willing to overlook the discrimination that exists for personal gain rather than truly believing it doesn't exist. Either way the results the same.

This is a quote from speech she made in April 2021:

The report shows that disparities do persist - that racism and discrimination remain a factor in shaping people’s life outcomes. And it is clear about the fact that abhorrent racist attitudes continue in society, within institutions, and, increasingly, online”

I think it’s hard to make the point that she  believes racism doesn’t exist. 

She's flavour of the week in the same way Rory Stewart was (albeit for different reasons) back in 2019. Most of the people banging on about her now on social media didn't know a fucking thing about her this time last week. Now she's laughably portrayed as Labour's worst nightmare because she's, apparently, not like the traditional Tories that, er, have been beating Labour in elections for the majority of the past century, including of course the present middle-aged posh working-class loathing white male scruffy cunt cult leader.

It's like political transfer muppetry. She'll be out halfway through the process and suddenly their true saviour will be Truss, Patel, or whatever typical hard-right Tory is still standing.

• Upvote 2

I don't think it matters who they elect now they're discredited outside of their hardcore support not dissimilar to the 1990's.

Despite winning an 80 seat majority they weren't even able to govern for a single term without self-combusting. No major policy issue or tiny majority here.

That Braverman seems to be a proper bastard. A part of her manifesto is to cut benefits.

Leadership hopeful Suella Braverman says there are "too many people" on benefits and plans to reduce the cost of the welfare state if she becomes prime minister.

Asked by the BBC how she would pay for her tax reduction proposals, the attorney general calls for a spending review to look at "where we can properly cut back on inefficient usage of tax payer's money" in the size of the state and civil service.

Braverman adds she is "very interested in looking at the welfare bill" as a way to pay for tax reductions. 

Her tax proposals include lowering corporation tax, as well as a cut in VAT on fuel and energy bills.

Braverman says the government must be "more rigorous in the entitlements to benefits" to make sure there is greater incentives to get people "back into economic activity".

Quote Message: Whilst Universal Credit made some very important progress, we still have far too many people who are of working age, healthy and choosing to work part time and have their full time wage topped up by welfare and therefore tax payers money." 

Whilst Universal Credit made some very important progress, we still have far too many people who are of working age, healthy and choosing to work part time and have their full time wage topped up by welfare and therefore tax payers money."

I think it’s going to be Sunak versus Mourdant and she will win by a huge margin. The members wont forgive Sunak for bringing down Boris. Mourdant then makes Badenoch the chancellor, Truss as. foreign secretary and Patel as Home Secretary. We end up with a right wing all female senior Government team. May you be cursed to live in interesting times. 

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

I think it’s going to be Sunak versus Mourdant and she will win by a huge margin. The members wont forgive Sunak for bringing down Boris. Mourdant then makes Badenoch the chancellor, Truss as. foreign secretary and Patel as Home Secretary. We end up with a right wing all female senior Government team. May you be cursed to live in interesting times. 

Mourdant or Tugboat are imo the two who will cause Labour and Starmer most trouble.

I think Starmer will expose Sunak quite quickly. Remember the mess Sunak made of selling his budget? He'd be found out in an election campaign. Plus it'll be a tory civil war if he wins as Johnson, Nads, Moog, Truss and a few others will openly show they detest him.

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Mourdant or Tugboat are imo the two who will cause Labour and Starmer most trouble.

I think Starmer will expose Sunak quite quickly. Remember the mess Sunak made of selling his budget? He'd be found out in an election campaign. Plus it'll be a tory civil war if he wins as Johnson, Nads, Moog, Truss and a few others will openly show they detest him.

So we all want Fishy Rishi to win then?

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

So we all want Fishy Rishi to win then?

Truss for me, daft as a brush and demented. Will fill her cabinet with the same old Johnson headbangers like Rees Mogg and Nads although we'd be taking a big gamble on the public voting her out before she declares war on France.

• Upvote 1

I think, at least as things stand now, the only candidate Labour need to fear is Mourdant, the only one that can unite the party at both parliamentary level and across Tory country. Hopefully, enough MPs will look past her towards some weirdo like Truss when giving the vote to the members, even though she'll probably be PM for two years as a result.

Short term pain and all that.