You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Blogging

Fowler1972

For my friend Numero. If you like this why not go on the blog and read more. If you hate it why not go on the blog and read more. If you’re neutral why not go on the blog and read more.

Dear X,

I wrote you a letter once before do you remember? It wasn’t my best work, you’d hurt me so much and sending it was a terrible idea. Despite everything I regret that so I wanted to make amends by writing you something new.

You are no longer in my life, apart from your presence in the occasional thought, so will never read this but, if you were, I’d like to think we’d remember together some better times we had before it all went so badly wrong.

When I look back on my life and think about the moments I met people for the first time there are some that I can recall with such clarity that I know they were always meant to have a significant influence on my life.

You are one of those people, although if I’d of known how it would turn out I would have run a mile. Actually, I wouldn’t. It was, what it was. A part of my life that made me who I am and led me towards the part of my life that came after you.

If I close my eyes I can still see you being introduced to me in the Office. It’s as clear as if it was yesterday. There are couple of others I have this level of recall over but not many.

I know you are happily married now, a grandmother no less. It’s hard to believe the young woman I knew all those years ago has a grandchild now. These days I can think of all that and be completely happy for you. It’s to my shame that it took so long.

You taught me a lot. I learned that I could love and be loved at the same time, even if it was fleeting in our case. I understand how much pain one person can cause another but I also know that it can pass. You also shared your secret ingredient for lasagne, how to make weak tea properly and why kitchen bins should be avoided.

I remember that we used to be able to talk for hours on the phone. Every night at 8pm we’d speak, we shared so many secrets in those conversations. Probably more than I ever did with anyone else.

It’s not impossible that our paths will cross again. If they do I hope we can smile, say hello, wish each other well and say goodbye. Nothing more is required but it seems important to me that we could do this if the moment ever came.

This will be posted as part of my blog. I’ve left your name out of it but there will be a few who will read and remember. I hope they will respect the spirit of the letter and keep your name to themselves. It really isn’t about anybody else sharing our truth.

Anyway, maybe the idea of a letter to you is still a bad one but hopefully, this time, the content is better.

Take care of yourself always.

Phill X

For my friend Numero. If you like this why not go on the blog and read more. If you hate it why not go on the blog and read more. If you’re neutral why not go on the blog and read more.

Dear X,

I wrote you a letter once before do you remember? It wasn’t my best work, you’d hurt me so much and sending it was a terrible idea. Despite everything I regret that so I wanted to make amends by writing you something new.

You are no longer in my life, apart from your presence in the occasional thought, so will never read this but, if you were, I’d like to think we’d remember together some better times we had before it all went so badly wrong.

When I look back on my life and think about the moments I met people for the first time there are some that I can recall with such clarity that I know they were always meant to have a significant influence on my life.

You are one of those people, although if I’d of known how it would turn out I would have run a mile. Actually, I wouldn’t. It was, what it was. A part of my life that made me who I am and led me towards the part of my life that came after you.

If I close my eyes I can still see you being introduced to me in the Office. It’s as clear as if it was yesterday. There are couple of others I have this level of recall over but not many.

I know you are happily married now, a grandmother no less. It’s hard to believe the young woman I knew all those years ago has a grandchild now. These days I can think of all that and be completely happy for you. It’s to my shame that it took so long.

You taught me a lot. I learned that I could love and be loved at the same time, even if it was fleeting in our case. I understand how much pain one person can cause another but I also know that it can pass. You also shared your secret ingredient for lasagne, how to make weak tea properly and why kitchen bins should be avoided.

I remember that we used to be able to talk for hours on the phone. Every night at 8pm we’d speak, we shared so many secrets in those conversations. Probably more than I ever did with anyone else.

It’s not impossible that our paths will cross again. If they do I hope we can smile, say hello, wish each other well and say goodbye. Nothing more is required but it seems important to me that we could do this if the moment ever came.

This will be posted as part of my blog. I’ve left your name out of it but there will be a few who will read and remember. I hope they will respect the spirit of the letter and keep your name to themselves. It really isn’t about anybody else sharing our truth.

Anyway, maybe the idea of a letter to you is still a bad one but hopefully, this time, the content is better.

Phill X

That's some serious eye-AIDS right there.

• Upvote 1

For my friend Numero.

Thank you for posting that here, as I won't visit your blog. You said to me I'd like it, so I read it. It's a mess, it was a total waste of my time to read it. As a blog post, it's random and uninteresting to anybody who doesn't have a personal connection to the situation. I think you should post to your blog less frequently, but when you do post you should put more time and thought about how to structure the blog. It needs to have a coherent beginning and end, a story that develops throughout. It's poorly written, structured, and has absolutely no flow. That's fine, as it's a letter to somebody you know. What puzzles me is why you think other people would find that interesting or even readable.

If you like this why not go on the blog and read more. If you hate it why not go on the blog and read more. If you’re neutral why not go on the blog and read more.

You are generating ill-will towards you and your blog by spamming it and trying, at all costs, to get people to click on your blog links. You would meet your objective - which is number counting - much more quickly if you had the support of people. My advice, which you will almost certainly ignore, is that when you post a blog, put one link in this blog thread and that's it. Write a short introduction, telling people what it is about and why it matters to you. Then that's it. Don't continually spam and bump the thread. Telling people to go to you blog, they'll love it, etc, might get a handful of people to click on a link; building a following who actually value your opinion and like your writing will give you longevity and more clicks. Build the blog, don't spam it around everywhere. It's much better to have something of value than to generate clicks via spam volume which lead people who don't actually read the post. Think about what you're doing, Phil.

• Upvote 1

Dear X,

Phill X

Poor bastard never stood a chance. 97d91bd7ca9201650914b0340012023d.jpg

Thank you for posting that here, as I won't visit your blog. You said to me I'd like it, so I read it. It's a mess, it was a total waste of my time to read it. As a blog post, it's random and uninteresting to anybody who doesn't have a personal connection to the situation. I think you should post to your blog less frequently, but when you do post you should put more time and thought about how to structure the blog. It needs to have a coherent beginning and end, a story that develops throughout. It's poorly written, structured, and has absolutely no flow. That's fine, as it's a letter to somebody you know. What puzzles me is why you think other people would find that interesting or even readable.

You are generating ill-will towards you and your blog by spamming it and trying, at all costs, to get people to click on your blog links. You would meet your objective - which is number counting - much more quickly if you had the support of people. My advice, which you will almost certainly ignore, is that when you post a blog, put one link in this blog thread and that's it. Write a short introduction, telling people what it is about and why it matters to you. Then that's it. Don't continually spam and bump the thread. Telling people to go to you blog, they'll love it, etc, might get a handful of people to click on a link; building a following who actually value your opinion and like your writing will give you longevity and more clicks. Build the blog, don't spam it around everywhere. It's much better to have something of value than to generate clicks via spam volume which lead people who don't actually read the post. Think about what you're doing, Phil.

If you spell my name correctly I might.

Your feedback on my blog post is longer than the post itself. For someone who doesn’t care you seem to have spent a lot of time on it.

I thank you for your feedback though. It’s always appreciated. Particularly on my writing competence as that’s an area I strive to improve.

If you spell my name correctly I might.

Judging by the glibness of your responses, I highly doubt it.

Your feedback on my blog post is longer than the post itself.

That might say more about the level of thought you put into your blog posts, rather than how long my two paragraph response was.

For someone who doesn’t care you seem to have spent a lot of time on it.

I wouldn't say 5 minutes was 'a lot of time', but it was wasted time.

I thank you for your feedback though. It’s always appreciated. Particularly on my writing competence as that’s an area I strive to improve.

It's actually some pretty genuine advice, as I know the continual spamming is turning these guys against you. Either way, I'm done with this now. You promised me a blog I'd like, hopefully one day that'll happen. Until now, it has not.

• Upvote 1

Judging by the glibness of your responses, I highly doubt it.

That might say more about the level of thought you put into your blog posts, rather than how long my two paragraph response was.

I wouldn't say 5 minutes was 'a lot of time', but it was wasted time.

It's actually some pretty genuine advice, as I know the continual spamming is turning these guys against you. Either way, I'm done with this now. You promised me a blog I'd like, hopefully one day that'll happen. Until now, it has not.

How will you know if you stop reading it? I believe Dyson had to try multiple times before he got to the vacuum cleaner he wanted to create.

p.s. how do you split parts of my post up? That looks like fun.