You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Fuck this £80m shit off for Allison. Done nothing in the 2 games against us to warrant anywhere near the price. Can only see him being a disaster for us with the way our luck goes with keepers.

Rather we spent a quarter of that in nick pope. At least the Kid knows how to make a great save.

Get Tah in

Rabiot or neves

Fekir

Warner

Dembele on the 2 year loan with option to buy that’s currently being rumoured so Barca don’t have to pay anymore to Dortmund.

All affordable and we’ll win the bloody grand national as well next season if we can get them in and keep our first 11 together

• Upvote 1

Haha. Souness and Smith weren't snides? I've heard it all now.

Smith played in an era of hard men like Ron Harris and Billy Bremner. They stood for no nonesense but to call them snides is laughable. Similarly Souness was no snide for us at least. Sure he had a couple of disgraceful tackles playing for Scotland and Rangers but I do not recall him doing similar for us. But whatever. As I said if you want snides in our team like Ramos you may as well buy into the shithousery that is Mourinho.

Fuck this £80m shit off for Allison. Done nothing in the 2 games against us to warrant anywhere near the price. Can only see him being a disaster for us with the way our luck goes with keepers.

Rather we spent a quarter of that in nick pope. At least the Kid knows how to make a great save.

Get Tah in

Rabiot or neves

Fekir

Warner

Dembele on the 2 year loan with option to buy that’s currently being rumoured so Barca don’t have to pay anymore to Dortmund.

All affordable and we’ll win the bloody grand national as well next season if we can get them in and keep our first 11 together

Yep agree with you. We put 7 past Allison and he got nowhere near any of them. Even Gini scored with a header against him. Away in Rome.

Smith played in an era of hard men like Ron Harris and Billy Bremner. They stood for no nonesense but to call them snides is laughable. Similarly Souness was no snide for us at least. Sure he had a couple of disgraceful tackles playing for Scotland and Rangers but I do not recall him doing similar for us. But whatever. As I said if you want snides in our team like Ramos you may as well buy into the shithousery that is Mourinho.

Souness broke a lads jaw in a European Cup quarter final. He put awful challenges in almost by the week. I agree smith played with hard men and they all went over the top and went out to hurt their opponent every time they could. Ramos is a pussy cat next to both of them.

I don’t want players who are gonna be trying to dislocate other lads shoulders. I do want players who can slow the tempo of a game down when we’re under pressure by winning little free kicks all over the pitch.

Seen a stat before saying Sadio manè gave away more free kicks than the entire Real Madrid team the other night.

5 free kicks ffs. That’s not a stat that wins you the big pots.

• Upvote 1

I don’t want players who are gonna be trying to dislocate other lads shoulders. I do want players who can slow the tempo of a game down when we’re under pressure by winning little free kicks all over the pitch.

Seen a stat before saying Sadio manè gave away more free kicks than the entire Real Madrid team the other night.

5 free kicks ffs. That’s not a stat that wins you the big pots.

Four of which must have been shithouse dives from snide cunts like Ramos.

I've done the YouTube compilation stuff on the two keepers.

Oblak looks the better of the two. But, they both look a significant upgrade on what we've currently got. One thing that stood out for them both is that they seem solid keepers. Big, strong frames. Good at making themselves big. And, when they do, the ball bounces off them rather than going though them. Strong hands too. No chocolate wrists. Again, when they get a hand on shots, it's strong and the ball is saved with power.

One minor issue on Allison is that he makes good saves but in doing so sometimes parries it back into dangerous areas.

Both solid, top level keepers though, for me.

So at its base people want to win by cheating. Not for me thanks. And I do not agree Souness put in awful challenges every week either but I guess thats going to just be a difference of opinion.

There's a ref on the pitch and laws of the game, you get away with what you can. Ramos has about a million red cards in his career, so he doesn't get away with it every week and takes the punishment that comes. Our best teams went as far past the line as they could get away with. Most winning teams do. I'm good with it. If that's cheating, I'm good with that too. I much preferred the days when we won finals than what we have now.

If we are getting a top keeper I would get the best that is available as the money saved on getting the 2nd/3rd/4th would be negligible on a long-term solution. In my view this would mean getting Oblak as from my ( limited admittedly ) viewings , he seems more solid than Allison, has a longer track record and Eastern Europeans seem to be more loyal & not so Real/Barca blinded as South American guys. Even if we have to pay the buy out of £80m , like VvD , nobody will even mention the cost once we realise the difference it makes.

Oblak wouldn't come. Not enough of an upgrade from Atleti to LFC.

Alisson is a monster of a GK but Roma will extort us.

Pope is not a bad shout but he can barely kick a ball which is a necessary quality for a big club.

That's a valid worry re: Oblak. What are his wages like though? We could "persuade" him to consider us?

Yes, I still can't see why he'd want to swap Atletico for us.

We have a slither of a chance due to him not having many options though. Possibly wouldn't go to Real Madrid for obvious reasons, Bayern have a quality keeper, as do United, City aren't going to replace Ederson, Barca seem reasonably happy with theirs, probably doesn't want to play in a pub league for PSG. Who else has even got a chance of attracting him and affording him?

Yes, I still can't see why he'd want to swap Atletico for us.

We have a slither of a chance due to him not having many options though. Possibly wouldn't go to Real Madrid for obvious reasons, Bayern have a quality keeper, as do United, City aren't going to replace Ederson, Barca seem reasonably happy with theirs, probably doesn't want to play in a pub league for PSG. Who else has even got a chance of attracting him and affording him?

This. Ter Stegan has been amazing this season and along with Messi is the main reason they won the league, they won’t be replacing him anytime soon. We have a shot at Oblak simply because if he wants to ever move at the moment we are his only viable option, unless De Gea goes to Madrid and then Utd replace the best keeper in the world with the second best keeper in the world and they’re non the weaker at all.

Oblak wouldn't come. Not enough of an upgrade from Atleti to LFC.

Alisson is a monster of a GK but Roma will extort us.

Pope is not a bad shout but he can barely kick a ball which is a necessary quality for a big club.

Still its an upgrade from a keeper that throws the ball into his own net. 

• Upvote 1

Who is Juventus signing to replace Buffon?

I doubt they could afford Oblak or Allison, Donnarumma?

Top sides apart from ourselves are not in the market for a GK. Which leaves us as the only candidates for Oblak and Allison in England. Unless Real Madrid get rid of Navas there are no options for them in Spain either. PSG just signed or are on the verge of Buffon right... money talks now, and we should have loads of it right now. Aswell as a real buzz around the team.

Who is Juventus signing to replace Buffon?

I doubt they could afford Oblak or Allison, Donnarumma?

Top sides apart from ourselves are not in the market for a GK. Which leaves us as the only candidates for Oblak and Allison in England. Unless Real Madrid get rid of Navas there are no options for them in Spain either. PSG just signed or are on the verge of Buffon right... money talks now, and we should have loads of it right now. Aswell as a real buzz around the team.

They signed Szczęsny last summer to replace him.