You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

'Superior sports project' being the new 'club not matching my ambitions' phrase for I want to fuck off for more money.

I fucking hate footballers, they're all a bunch of wankers.

I agree with your last sentence, but I'd question his ambition if the prospect of playing for trophies behind Suarez, Messi and Neymar doesn't interest him in the slightest.

• Upvote 1

I see Melissa Reddy is now saying that perhaps Brandt's concerns about playing time (he gave an interview about this a few days ago, though it seemed like he was mostly rubbishing claims he was going to Bayern rather than anything to do with us) mean he won't move to us.

However, it does soften the blow a bit that we've supposedly looked into Mohamed Salah as a plan B.  I would make that plan A, frankly - he has looked unbelievably good for Roma this season and I assume it would take a massive offer to pry him loose.  17 goals and 14 assists for them this season, quite an output.

Not sure how he would do on the left, from memory he mostly plays on the right where Mane does.  I suppose it would hugely reduce the way that we have to completely rejig our team whenever Mane's out, as he's quite similar, but even more - imagine how good we could be with two players that pacy and direct on the flanks!  Works super hard for the team as well, could be a real gem.

Oh, plus he's left-footed and can take set pieces, an option we've been totally missing.  Probably cost upwards of £40m, of course.  Maybe £50m, he's still pretty young.

Bit of a youtube compilation for those who don't watch Serie A, I don't that often but was watching Roma this season a bit to see Paredes and kept thinking "man, that Salah is pacey and good, we should get him, too."

Obviously, mute as per usual.

Edit: or how about this one to show what kind of pace he has on the counterattack?  Reminds me a bit of that Mane goal against Arsenal our first game this season, just takes on the whole team and beats them all with pace and technique and then a finish.

A signing to get the pulse racing.

"We hope to complete a deal this week which will be a real exciting one for the club."

"He will be terrific, I'm sure. And the supporters will absolutely love him."

Exactly even if he does get more money it is ridiculous to suggest any player would not want a chance in one of the top teams of all time.

I don't disagree but modern day football now has a problem whereby all the top players are being cherry picked into the same 5-6 teams, who have such a ridiculous financial advantage over everyone else that the element of competition is being eroded completely. Football is now becoming or has become one huge dick-waving contest but without real competition there is no value in winning.

How many teams now have a real genuine chance of winning the CL? Since we won it in 2005, Barca and RM have won 6 out of the last 11, with RM favourites for this year as well. I know some will say it has been ever thus but I don't think it has ever been this bad and it's only going one way.

This probably belongs in another thread but hey ho.

• Upvote 1