You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland (A) - 3pm, 02/01/17 - Starting the new year on the Wear.

Trumo

Inevitable in the end that we would drop points against someone shit. We looked fucked which is no surprise really. Some weird decision making when we were taking them last few free kicks outside the box. Firmino and Can were barely existent. Lallana needs to play as forward as possible. We need another CM.

I think a full back or two is more pressing along with another striker. I know Milner has done brilliantly at LB but if we weren't relying on him to play there he could come into midfield when necessary and do a far better job with his legs tied together than Can any day of the week.

Two stonewall penalties, get your head out of your arse,

Yeah if you're a sunderland fan, I suppose

So the 5 second tug on clyne in the box isnt a pen? Or the hacking down of sturridge in the box nowhere near the ball isnt a pen?

Think you need to get your head from up your arse mate.

The Henderson and Coutinho injuries were unforeseen, as was Ings', but Sturridge being injured is always highly likely, and we've known for months that Mane was going to be missing.

Our sin was ever believing Sturridge was reliable.

Time to go out and buy two forwards, and I don't care who.

Midfield is a weird one because Klopp seemingly likes Ejaria and Grujic and yet neither are ready.

An interesting month for Klopp. Wouldn't surprise me to see him bring in nobody and yet he finds a way to make it work.

we need to strengthen for obvious reasons...injuries, sturridges unreliability, thinness of squad etc....it is painfully obvious and if we don't regardless of klopp towing the line in terms of what he says and his undoubted greatness as a manager it will be a clear indication of the clubs lack of real ambition.

Truly gutting result but not that surprising. We've done it twice now to dross (Bournemouth and Sunderland) and sadly I think we'll do it again before the season's out. It's so tight at the top we just simply can't afford to drop points In games like this. If we lose to Utd and our opponents when we could soon be sliding out of even the Cl places, nevermind the title race. Our only glimmer of hope in the title race would be if Tottenham beat Chelsea and then we get straight back on it and beat Utd.

Guest Pistonbroke

The squad is short in all areas. Failure to address this as soon as possible could cost us dearly, now and in the future. A great chance for CL cannot be thrown away after a great start. Anyone could see the squad was short, Ings out, Sturridge unreliable, Mane going the ANC. Add a few other injuries and the fact we have to rely on Moreno etc. Klopp knows the score but I hope he is not stubborn this window. Just show the owners the CL money and get them to spend it early.

It's just common sense to strengthen now, if we don't it just shows that the owners are taking the cheapest route to try and get CL football and maybe the odd cup, which it itself has been obvious for a few seasons now. 

Were you one of them who said his previous injury was just in time to have Christmas off by any chance?

Possibly, memory not good after a week on the lash

To be fair he looked in some real discomfort at the end so I fear the worst at a time we really need him fit. 

Guest Pistonbroke

WH down to 10 men, how much fucking help are those manc bastards getting since Moany started crying. Fucking ridiculous decision by Dean, the fucking wanker. 

to argue sunderlands two pens weren't stonewallers is a bit daft in my book

You can argue all you want, The first is never a stonewall pen even if its for us in my opinion. Loads might be shouting for that but I wouldnt.

Larsson had a 5 second tug on clyne's shorts in the box in the first 5 or 6 minutes which pulled him back. The ref waved play on.

Sturridge then gets hacked down in the box and again, no pen.

If people are talking stonewall pens then like the ref, they need to be consistent.

It's not all bad, the forum will be bouncing for the rest of the week.

I had no hopes, we're cursed. Our best ever team and of course, two important players in Coutinho and Matip receive injuries. Now with Mané gone, we'll be struggling for top 4 by the time he returns. Meanwhile John Henry is somewhere in the Caribbean on his new yacht. 

Very disappointing result. Was listening on the radio and just knew they would equalise when we are 2-1 up. They are the kind of games we see off half the time whereas a chelsea sees off 9 times out of 10. That's the difference.

We need to rest all first teamers the next fortnight and be really fresh for the mancs. Getting fourth (or chasing the title) is more important than the Fa cup or the efl even if it is a semi final. A Woodburn,ejaria or mccauley et al also gets first team experience.

I have a feeling we will lose to the mancs and beat chelsea.Been my gut for a while.