You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone on here qualified to provide legal advice?

Bob

Cheers TK.

I almost certainly won't take it up again, but the cost isn't really an issue. It cost me £280 to lose last time, it's not the end of the world.

I don't feel particularly wronged, I just know the guys an arsehole, and a crook who's playing the system to his benefit, likely avoiding tax, blah blah.

I learned I could go after him, so wasn't after a pay day, I was after a "fuck you". This guy - like the rest like him - get away with it because nobody stands up so I stood up.

I lost for a couple of reasons, mainly me not having a better grasp on the legal process but also after that because I didn't/couldn't prove his lies were lies.

You've got me, Bob.  I will offer free and totally impartial advice to the best of my ability.  I qualify this with the proviso that there is no traditional "solicitor/client" relationship retainer between us, so that if it goes tits up you have no retainer against me. I would say that AWS is probably your better bet in these circumstances, or somebody he knows, but they'll probably charge and I've got some time on my hands so you've got me for free. Do your worst.

Cheers TK.

I almost certainly won't take it up again, but the cost isn't really an issue. It cost me £280 to lose last time, it's not the end of the world.

I don't feel particularly wronged, I just know the guys an arsehole, and a crook who's playing the system to his benefit, likely avoiding tax, blah blah.

I learned I could go after him, so wasn't after a pay day, I was after a "fuck you". This guy - like the rest like him - get away with it because nobody stands up so I stood up.

I lost for a couple of reasons, mainly me not having a better grasp on the legal process but also after that because I didn't/couldn't prove his lies were lies.

Was the £280 in fees? Plus how many hours spent and how much of a ballache was it the first time around?  You need to factor this in. 

It being a point of principle is the reason you're right to say let it go, and the reason I really don't want to!!

Basics first...

The claim I brought against him was for not protecting my deposit. Section 216 or something of the housing act.

I lost - the judge believed his lies over a witness statement that contradicted his lies, because the witness wasn't present in person.

So, having lost once, is it possible to bring the same claim again?

It being a point of principle is the reason you're right to say let it go, and the reason I really don't want to!!

Basics first...

The claim I brought against him was for not protecting my deposit. Section 216 or something of the housing act.

I lost - the judge believed his lies over a witness statement that contradicted his lies, because the witness wasn't present in person.

So, having lost once, is it possible to bring the same claim again?

Right, so what is the amount in dispute versus the court fees and other expenses payable?  If these are small compared to the "point of principle" then it's time to let go and get better sleep at night.  

I was chancing my arm last time, to be frank. Worth a go. I knew I was in the right, but legally I didn't know what I was doing so I thought let's have a go.

That I lost because he lied under oath pissed me off a lot. Put both sides forward fairly and I lose if have held my hands up.

I truth, I'd given it up anyway til the cunt dragged me into the police station and out in his statement something which contradicts the reason my case was dismissed.

Irrespective of if I should; can I ask for round 2?

I don't know the answer to that as I'm not a litigator, but from experience I'm sure that there will be another way of bringing the same question before the same (or a different) court.  

What I would want to know, if it was me in your situation, is why the court would treat the new evidence you think sways matters in your favour any differently to what has come before.  If I were you I would act cautiously on this point. It's hard for me to say without knowing more details (as Kloppite says things are vague), but from a purely educated guess I would say this new information you have probably won't be viewed in such a pivotal way by a judge.