You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sturridge is our best striker and should play through the middle

Bjornebye

I don't get this Sturridge is shit idea. He's not! Off the pace, doesn't suit Klopp's system agreed, finished possibly! Shit? Nah!

Doesn't fit the team and unlikely to be happy hanging around as an impact sub for one in five games. He could still do a decent job for a mid-table side or in a 442 so we should probably let him go to one before his value sinks too low

Guest Pistonbroke

I can't see anything other than him leaving in the summer, probably Ings also, transfer or loan. We will then buy two number tens.

If an offer is made in January, and they tend to be inflated prices due to clubs flapping, then I reckon he could be off then. 

If an offer is made in January, and they tend to be inflated prices due to clubs flapping, then I reckon he could be off then. 

I don't see that there's a point as we wouldn't replace him. You would also expect him to score in fixtures where he'll be getting plenty of touches around the box (oo-er) and there are a lot of fixtures that remain against bus parkers.

Injuries have fucked him, but even before that he didn't press opposition defenders the way Firmino does or Suarez did. With them two it's like irrelevant if they have the ball or not when they're dribbling, if they lose it they never take their eye off it and the dribble becomes the press without even breaking stride. (Imagine what Klopp could have done with Suarez).

It's a bit of a negative mark against Klopp if he can only get performances out of strikers who close down loads. Pretty fucking limiting in terms of who we could bring in, not many strikers are that great at it.

• Upvote 1

It's a bit of a negative mark against Klopp if he can only get performances out of strikers who close down loads. Pretty fucking limiting in terms of who we could bring in, not many strikers are that great at it.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to buy Suarez then. Too bad.

I don't think it does, but I think we're lacking that world class matchwinner in the final third who can win games when we aren't clicking fully to score as a team.

We have been scoring goals for fun this season so far. We couldn't score against the most expensively assembled side in the league who came not to play, and have the best keeper in the world who made two worldies. That'll happen sometimes.

Bright side we kept a clean sheet and didn't drop all 3 points like our last 4 meetings with these cunts.

But still gutted we didn't score. If we got one, I think they'd have been forced to open up a bit in the second half and been in trouble.

I think it requires somebody who is both capable of holding the ball up and scores goals. High workrate is absolute given for Klopp and why Sturridge looks so out of sorts.

Injuries have fucked him, but even before that he didn't press opposition defenders the way Firmino does or Suarez did. With them two it's like irrelevant if they have the ball or not when they're dribbling, if they lose it they never take their eye off it and the dribble becomes the press without even breaking stride. (Imagine what Klopp could have done with Suarez).

Huh?

He's the manager to get the best out of Origi so far and Daniel is turning into a lazy shithouse titty lipped wannabe drake. Sturridge not wanting to run is hardly an indictment of Klopp.

If Sturridge has a future here, it's in a two, say alongside Origi like the Southampton 6-1. It seems he doesn't have the pace or strength, or indeed work rate, to play up front on his own any more. And pushing Firmino wide and dropping Coutinho deeper takes something away from their games, so I think we've probably seen the last of Sturridge up top on his own.

I think the future is another striker, probably young, fast and strong, with a potential world class upside, but someone who is not quite there yet.

In the meantime, I'd like to see Origi get the nod above Sturridge so he can get back to the level he was showing last season.

Guest Pistonbroke

I don't see that there's a point as we wouldn't replace him. You would also expect him to score in fixtures where he'll be getting plenty of touches around the box (oo-er) and there are a lot of fixtures that remain against bus parkers.

I think we would replace him mate, especially when you consider the amount of wages being freed up. I doubt we'd be breaking the bank for a class replacement mind, but on current form we could easily bring in a young forward that suits Klopps plans better for a fraction of the wages and assess things in the summer. Sturridge's value will be way more in January than in the summer imo. If we wait until summer I have a horrible feeling DS will play the injury card in the second half of the season to lower his market value and get a decent offer wages wise by a club his Agent will be in bed with. 

Really struggling with this role this season and his form has been notably poor, however that's probably largely to do with his lack of certainty starting or positionally and Klopp's apparent lack of faith in him. He seems like he can not play as a lone CF, but those saying he's finished just need to look at January-May last season and his performance against Leicester this.   

Can't see him staying after this summer and can't imagine him taking a step down to the likes of West Ham etc. Knowing us, we'll sell him to arsenal or spurs and replace him with Nathan Redmond

I dont know why you think we'll sign some piece of shit replacement. Has Klopp signed a piece of shit yet?

I tend to agree sturridge could be on his way in the summer. He doesnt look like he can fit in with our style of play now. More importantly, we look more potent with firmino up front

If we go for a replacement I imagine it will be someone who has similar qualities to Firmino but with perhaps a bit more pace. Off the top of my head I'm not sure who that player is, but I don't think we'd go for an out and out burner that likes to run in behind like Sturridge used to be. There's also an argument to be made that we'd be better off to replace him with another winger rather than a striker as we have both Origi and Ings who are probably better suited to play centrally anyway. Another winger gives us an option when Mane is out or off-form. The only issue with that is whether or not we're comfortable with Origi or Ings leading the line in Firmino's absence.

As far as where he'd go, I'm not too arsed about it as long as it isn't a main rival. Even then for the right fee, it would probably be good business. If it's money and being the main man he's after the MLS isn't a bad shout at all actually, he'll get paid and comfortably be one of the better strikers in the league. Or maybe Rodgers goes in for him at Celtic? I have no idea how much money they have to buy and pay him though.

Klopp said after the game that it was a difficult game for a striker, which I agree with. He was isolated especially in the first half, with Mane and Firmino unable to find the ball in their half. Their passing when they did find the ball wasn't up to scratch. Firmino had the lowest pass completion rate of almost every player who started the game for example. Not the best game from Sturridge, nowhere near the unbelievable form he showed a couple of years back where he was arguably in the top three strikers in the league, but he will improve I'm sure of it. He's too good a player not to.

Klopp said after the game that it was a difficult game for a striker, which I agree with. He was isolated especially in the first half, with Mane and Firmino unable to find the ball in their half. Their passing when they did find the ball wasn't up to scratch. Firmino had the lowest pass completion rate of almost every player who started the game for example. Not the best game from Sturridge, nowhere near the unbelievable form he showed a couple of years back where he was arguably in the top three strikers in the league, but he will improve I'm sure of it. He's too good a player not to.

There's been a lot of head shrinking and 'injuries' in the time since Sturridge was like dynamite around the opposition goal. He has to be able to adapt his game now due to injuries and lack of pace otherwise he is useless to us.

It is quite difficult when your striker isn't moving.