You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transfers summer 2016

I would be in favour of this. Good player who seems to have the lot for the position.

(Edit: but not at any price. I'd go to say £30M, which is a lot; but if they knew our need and, having money themselves decided to slap say a £50M price tag on him, I wouldn't do it).

The slight concern I have about left back is Klopp is going to persist with what we have. Milner to come in and be solid, Gomez to possibly fill in there too, and of course Moreno.

Arguably if Milner can come in and give us 7/10 performances it will shore things up down that side while the attacking talent we have can do their thing. I don't want this to happen, mind, but I'm wondering if that's what Klopp is thinking.

Seems strange to use Milner when Klavan is a natural left back, and has only played as a CB for 3 years.  

Why not? It seems some are up in arms because of this.

If he offers more to the team at LB than he does elsewhere so be it.

He is not going to oust Mane from wide right by the look of things. He is really not an upgrade in the middle of the park either - he is useful in the way three of four others are there.

He will be like every other fullback according to the thinking on this - a failed winger. Just took him longer thats all.

Yea, Milner would definitely offer more than Moreno at the position.  

Seems strange to use Milner when Klavan is a natural left back, and has only played as a CB for 3 years.  

I keep seeing this suggested and it being countered with "he's only played at LB 3 times in his whole career". Which is true? Can we post our sources please?

EDIT: Don't mean that to sound arsey, just genuinely curious as I'd like to see his solidity at LB if we had Matip to step in at CB.

I keep seeing this suggested and it being countered with "he's only played at LB 3 times in his whole career". Which is true? Can we post our sources please?

EDIT: Don't mean that to sound arsey, just genuinely curious as I'd like to see his solidity at LB if we had Matip to step in at CB.

Sources? I watched him for Estonia when he was in his early 20s... as my girlfriend at the time was Estonian, and I was often in Estonia.  He was ALWAYS a left back.

He only became a Centerback for Augsburg during an injury crisis.  He came in and played his style, and the manager was like, "You're staying there."

Sources? I watched him for Estonia when he was in his early 20s... as my girlfriend at the time was Estonian, and I was often in Estonia.  He was ALWAYS a left back.

He only became a Centerback for Augsburg during an injury crisis.  He came in and played his style, and the manager was like, "You're staying there."

Fair enough, as I say I'd seen the opposite posted, and both sides posted with equal conviction, and couldn't find a definite answer myself.

Fair enough, as I say I'd seen the opposite posted, and both sides posted with equal conviction, and couldn't find a definite answer myself.

Well, anyone who posted that, despite their 'conviction', clearly hasn't seen Klavan play before 2013.  I'm not trying to sound arsey, either, it's just baffling why anyone would post that.  Granted, I didn't exactly micro-manage his career, so maybe he filled in as a CB other times during his career for all I know.

I remember having a conversation about him with some Estonian chaps, when I asked about if anyone in the Estonian set up would be good enough to move into the bigger leagues.  They talked about leftback Ragnar Klavan, who was about 22 or 23 at the time.  He trained up as a leftback, played in the Estonian NT youth set up as a leftback, made his way onto the radar, and got himself a move to Holland as a left back.... where he played as a left back.   

He's a no frills guy.  Doesn't offer much going forward, but was solid/steady/composed.  

I'm literally so confused why someone would post that he's only played as a left back 3 times...   

Klavan gave one of those interviews to the official site when he signed, he got asked about playing leftback and he laughed, he went on to say that he played there a bit when he was younger but hasn't played anywhere but centre back for over four years.

It's probably still on the site.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/07/19/who-is-ragnar-klavan-all-you-need-to-know-about-liverpools-newes/

This seems to suggest he has played CB since 2009. So the past 7 years, or the majority of his career. However it metions he did play LB for a while after playing AM growing up, and being a left footed CB, he might still be decent cover. Whether he's good enough to play LB to a high enough standard in this league remains to be seen. If his competition is just the semi-retarded Pokemon Morono then I think he'll end up covering there within a few games.

I think we'll see him there then, once Moreno costs us a few more goals, and all our CBs are fit and firing.

Yea

Just for more sources.  I found an interview on the UEFA website:

UEFA.com: Your favourites were attacking players, but you became a central defender ...

Klavan: Well, eventually. At first I played in midfield and at left-back.

I had no idea about the midfielder, though, but his dad was a professional footballer at Midfield, so that makes sense.

I posted that he's only played there 3 times in the last four years, not his entire career. The source is Transfermarkt.

I only looked back at the last four years. I'd say CB is his current position.

Ah, apologies then, I remembered it wrong, my bad.

I've just had another look and he seems to have gone from a rarely used LB at AZ in 10/11

http://www.transfermarkt.com/ragnar-klavan/leistungsdaten/spieler/26669/plus/0?saison=2010

to a used more regularly CB the following season (with occasional LB appearance)

http://www.transfermarkt.com/ragnar-klavan/leistungsdaten/spieler/26669/plus/0?saison=2011

I can't remember seeing him for AZ at all.

Klavan played well. I liked his turn of pace, when he beat Sanchez (I think) to the ball. It also looked like he underhit some of his passes, but I might be wrong.. Will watch replay tomorrow night.

Matip will get a go when he's fit I'd imagine... Klavan and Lovren to battle it out for the other spot, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is Sakho's last season with us.

I would be in favour of this. Good player who seems to have the lot for the position.

(Edit: but not at any price. I'd go to say £30M, which is a lot; but if they knew our need and, having money themselves decided to slap say a £50M price tag on him, I wouldn't do it).

The slight concern I have about left back is Klopp is going to persist with what we have. Milner to come in and be solid, Gomez to possibly fill in there too, and of course Moreno.

Arguably if Milner can come in and give us 7/10 performances it will shore things up down that side while the attacking talent we have can do their thing. I don't want this to happen, mind, but I'm wondering if that's what Klopp is thinking.

If this is a money thing, would prefer Henderson at RB, switch Clyne to LB, and buy a proper central mid. Selling Milly in the process.

Or sell Moreno Henderson and Milner and upgrade all areas.

How on earth was Flanagan allowed to leave??