You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

24th August 2015 - Away to Arsenal

WhiskeyJar

18 years old. Played one cup game and scored. Made one substitute appearance in a creditable draw.

Written off by Old Skool Tom.

I wish I could be arsed to copy this comment into the "Shitness of Modern Football" thread.

We need a major signing for DM but way too early to judge.18, as you say, and hardly played...

Good result. Was impressed with Milner, Clyne and Gomez, who looks like he's going to develop into a quality CB and probably sooner rather than later too.

Ibe was disappointing, Firmino should have stayed on or thrown Ings on. Ibe looks like he's feeling the pressure a bit and nothing is coming off for him. He'll get over it though. I think we should look to brining Markovic back into the match day squad as well. Think he'd do much better with two solid full-backs behind him.

I think Ibe would do better if he stopped worrying about being the new Raheem Sterling and focused on being the old Jordon Ibe.

Defense:

Yet again we were solid at the back with good protection from our midfield. This defending very deep is painful for the nerves but probably the best way to defend against Arsenal as it denies space behind our back-line. Very well done, indeed

Attack:

For the first time this season we could see glimpses of what to expect from our attack. I’m starting to really like the signing of Big Christian.

Game-plan/subs:

Our game-plan was spot on, Not equally impressed with the substitutions. I wanted Ings in there. He’s more of a fighter than Ibe and a better scorer than Moreno for the counter attack. Rossiter in was OK I suppose; always nice to see youngsters thrown in at deep water and it was a good idea to shore things up.

Game-plan/subs:

Our game-plan was spot on, Not equally impressed with the substitutions. I wanted Ings in there. He’s more of a fighter than Ibe and a better scorer than Moreno for the counter attack. Rossiter in was OK I suppose; always nice to see youngsters thrown in at deep water and it was a good idea to shore things up.

Would you have put Ings on the right or subbed Benteke?

We tried Ings on the right in one of our preseason friendlies and it was a disaster, he was as positionally bad as Ibe last night and we changed it after 20 minutes. 

Ibe is struggling right now, he wants to play the game at his pace and that isn't always possible. Maybe Ings for Benteke in the last 10-15 would have worked as Benteke looked tired.

Benteke is absolutely useless. Another forward better at defending than attacking. What happened to Rodgers' philosophy? Might as well bring back Houllier if we're going to play long-ball shite. 

Clyne outstanding. Best right-back in the league now that Ivanovic's dropped off? I think so. 

Firmino and Coutinho looked great. Milner is a great pro, but a terrible passer. 

We looked like the 5th best side in the league, and that's where we'll finish. 

What the fuck

I hope you slept well and the hangover isn't to bad

What has his height got to do with his movement?

He's taller and built bigger, he won't be as fast and as dynamic in his ability to run and change direction as quickly as some players. Players with a lower centre of gravity can make one run, stop, turn and make another run if the first run wasn't the correct run. Benteke would struggle with this i think.

• Upvote 1

He's taller and built bigger, he won't be as fast and as dynamic in his ability to run and change direction as quickly as some players. Players with a lower centre of gravity can make one run, stop, turn and make another run if the first run wasn't the correct run. Benteke would struggle with this i think.

Correct! He is nothing like Tim Vincken.

• Upvote 1

A much better performance then I expected, I'm slightly disapointed we didn't win after our first half performance but I would have took a draw beforehand.

Can was excellent and looked more energetic then I have ever seen in a LFC shirt and Gomez continues to shine, comparisons to Rio Ferdinand are not that far off the mark.

Milner has impressed me a lot since he's come here and is a better player then I thought, I always knew he had good work rate but his defensive side is very strong.He made a few interceptions last night that I wouldn't have expected him to, his positioning is excellent.

This season it looks like nearly every player that has come in has a part to play and has added something to the squad, it's important to win the next game now to keep the momentum going.

Guest Super Sub

How did firminio play last night? I was in work so listened to it on the radio and from what I gathered at first the pace was too much for him but he did settle a bit towards the end before he was subbed.

How did firminio play last night? I was in work so listened to it on the radio and from what I gathered at first the pace was too much for him but he did settle a bit towards the end before he was subbed.

He played well considering it was a tough away match against a quick team like Arsenal. He worked hard and tracked back when we needed him to. Was very calm on the ball in his passing and allowed us to sustain attacks with some good decision making.

He could of and should have shot a couple of times when they space opened up for him but seems a real team player. He went on a couple of dribbles and showed some nice technique with a couple of nutmegs on the right wing before getting crowded out. He also made a few runs in behind when we were on the counter but the pass to him wasn't good enough. His build is good, tall and strong, i think he will grow into this league and looks promising so far. 

He played well considering it was a tough away match against a quick team like Arsenal. He worked hard and tracked back when we needed him to. Was very calm on the ball in his passing and allowed us to sustain attacks with some good decision making.

He could of and should have shot a couple of times when they space opened up for him but seems a real team player. He went on a couple of dribbles and showed some nice technique with a couple of nutmegs on the right wing before getting crowded out. He also made a few runs in behind when we were on the counter but the pass to him wasn't good enough. His build is good, tall and strong, i think he will grow into this league and looks promising so far.

I honestly wonder what game people like you are watching. Firmino was hit and miss as expected. Clyne massively covered up for him though. He was doing the work of two men defensively down the right for the majority of the night. I lost count the amount of times he just switched off and ignored the man drifting behind him when Clyne was trying to keep tight with the other defenders. He's really weak and gives the ball away too much to be a starter for me. He was the biggest risk last night and we got away with it. Offensively he did a few good things including putting it on a plate for benteke. The more he can do that while going through this settling in period the better. If he's going to play in future it has to be with no defensive responsibility though. His tracking back is poor and players walk past him with ease.

put in the inch perfect left foot volley cross for cech to make point blank save from benteke.

If you want to know how good this guy is its all encapsulated in that moment.

I honestly wonder what game people like you are watching. Firmino was hit and miss as expected. Clyne massively covered up for him though. He was doing the work of two men defensively down the right for the majority of the night. I lost count the amount of times he just switched off and ignored the man drifting behind him when Clyne was trying to keep tight with the other defenders. He's really weak and gives the ball away too much to be a starter for me. He was the biggest risk last night and we got away with it. Offensively he did a few good things including putting it on a plate for benteke. The more he can do that while going through this settling in period the better. If he's going to play in future it has to be with no defensive responsibility though. His tracking back is poor and players walk past him with ease.

Magnificent.

Great result that, on the whole. Both sides could have won it apparently. Wont see the game until midnight Thursday because NZ is turning rapidly into a third world country. It's a fucking disgrace.

After 3 games, we match the manure in points and goals for and against. How wierd is that????

Would you have put Ings on the right or subbed Benteke?

We tried Ings on the right in one of our preseason friendlies and it was a disaster, he was as positionally bad as Ibe last night and we changed it after 20 minutes. 

Ibe is struggling right now, he wants to play the game at his pace and that isn't always possible. Maybe Ings for Benteke in the last 10-15 would have worked as Benteke looked tired.

I’d have Ings on instead of Ibe, and it’s nothing to do with hindsight. At the time I believe we needed to strengthen our defense by having someone up the pitch hacking and making life uneasy for the Arsenal build up as well as someone able to take the few counter attacking opportunities that would appear.

Ings is much more a fighter than Ibe, so I’d prefer Ings.  Besides, he deserves a chance to prove himself. Ibe has had his chances and not taken them. This time I’d let Ings have his chance.  The fact Ibe had an absolute stinker has nothing to do with it, no one could anticipate that (although his form hasn’t been the best lately).  

I’d not take Benteke off as he’s the only one able to take down a long clearance and keep the ball for a while giving the rest of our players time to come up for air. He looked cooked at the end, but so did Coutinho. No complaints about the last sub really as Moreno is faster than Ings. It was in the dying minutes and I do like the idea of having someone with speed up there for a lucky winner when opponents throw everything forward. It nearly paid off too.

• Upvote 1