You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

24th August 2015 - Away to Arsenal

WhiskeyJar

Yeah, great reward for Ing, score 11 goals for a relegated side, and then come sit on the bench and do nothing to start the next season. Should have been on instead of Ibe, obviously.

BR said recently there won't be many changes to the first eleven if we have a good start, after the international break players out of the side will get a chance in cup games to prove they are good enough to start.

We were struggling to keep the ball in the second half so I can understand why a midfielder came on instead of a striker.

I honestly wonder what game people like you are watching. Firmino was hit and miss as expected. Clyne massively covered up for him though. He was doing the work of two men defensively down the right for the majority of the night. I lost count the amount of times he just switched off and ignored the man drifting behind him when Clyne was trying to keep tight with the other defenders. He's really weak and gives the ball away too much to be a starter for me. He was the biggest risk last night and we got away with it. Offensively he did a few good things including putting it on a plate for benteke. The more he can do that while going through this settling in period the better. If he's going to play in future it has to be with no defensive responsibility though. His tracking back is poor and players walk past him with ease.

Exactly right. He tried occasionally to press up against their left back, The left back then just played a triangle with the player infield. No problem as Firmino didn’t bother following his run.  Clyne as you said was left to do the job of two men.

As almost every newbie in the PL he looked surprised at how little time he was allowed to have on the ball and lost it a couple of times. But that’ll come along as he’s given more time to settle. The positives outshine the negatives for me although he didn’t have a very good match yesterday. Me still thinks he’ll be a huge asset for we.

• Upvote 1

I honestly wonder what game people like you are watching. Firmino was hit and miss as expected. Clyne massively covered up for him though. He was doing the work of two men defensively down the right for the majority of the night. I lost count the amount of times he just switched off and ignored the man drifting behind him when Clyne was trying to keep tight with the other defenders. He's really weak and gives the ball away too much to be a starter for me. He was the biggest risk last night and we got away with it. Offensively he did a few good things including putting it on a plate for benteke. The more he can do that while going through this settling in period the better. If he's going to play in future it has to be with no defensive responsibility though. His tracking back is poor and players walk past him with ease.

First ever start int he premier league away to Arsenal, one of the most attacking teams in the country with one of the best attackers in Sanchez playing on his side.

We didn't sign him to play like Kuyt, he isn't a right sided player with huge defensive attributes. He did a decent job defensively first half and got tired 2nd half. Did you notice that he was allowed to move off the flank and get closer to Benteke and Coutinho with Milner then covering the space he vacated?

Probably not

Please elaborate? I'd be interested in why you think his movement is so dire and what kind of movements you expect of him

I don't expect any different to what he is doing, he isn't that type of player. Although at 24 he could still improve in this regard obviously. The only decent team he played for before us, the only team that tried to play good football, was Belgium, and they have faced similar problems. His movement off the ball is poor, he doesn't often make intelligent runs, and that makes it more difficult for the creative players behind him. 

As I said previously, I still think he's physically and technically a very good player. But we will have to adapt the way we play to get the very best out of him.

• Upvote 2

I don't expect any different to what he is doing, he isn't that type of player. Although at 24 he could still improve in this regard obviously. The only decent team he played for before us, the only team that tried to play good football, was Belgium, and they have faced similar problems. His movement off the ball is poor, he doesn't often make intelligent runs, and that makes it more difficult for the creative players behind him. 

As I said previously, I still think he's physically and technically a very good player. But we will have to adapt the way we play to get the very best out of him.

Can't disagree with any of that to be honest, i thought the same when i saw him play against Wales before we signed him but he has surprised me with the amount he "try's" to move.

I think this goes back to what i was saying in my previous post, if his first run isn't the intelligent run he can't turn and make a better run quickly enough. I do think that is down to his physical size and height though to be honest because lots of players make bad runs but are able to realise this and stop, turn and make another run. He just doesn't have the frame to allow him to be so sharp.

Yeah, great reward for Ing, score 11 goals for a relegated side, and then come sit on the bench and do nothing to start the next season. Should have been on instead of Ibe, obviously.

Its a long season his time will come. We used to sign players and they would be in the reserves for six months till they got going.

• Upvote 1

Its a long season his time will come. We used to sign players and they would be in the reserves for six months till they got going.

Bang on, we have only played 3 games and people are already going on like they are banished from the squad and will never play for us again. We have the Europa league, Carling cup and F.A cup plus injuries to contend with...players will get plenty of chances

Because of the injuries to Arsenal cbs got me thinking of how strong a squad they have. Ospina Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs Arteta Wilshere Rosicky Walcott Ox-Chamberlain Welbeck looks a stronger second 11 than Chelsea or even City.

Because of the injuries to Arsenal cbs got me thinking of how strong a squad they have. Ospina Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs Arteta Wilshere Rosicky Walcott Ox-Chamberlain Welbeck looks a stronger second 11 than Chelsea or even City.

No it doesn't. Most of them are shit. Plus wenger persists in playing the goggle eyed wanker ozil who is one of the shittest players I've ever seen.

• Upvote 1

I think Benteke's been a revelation so far. His movement at the end when Moreno was running at their defence was poor, but i can't say he hasn't run the channels, pressed or caused them problems throughout because he did all three most of the game. 

Usually when we sign a player i expect a 50% drop off in terms of their productivity just from the pressure of playing for us. I'm so used to seeing players bottle it that it's come as a shock to see how totally unfazed a player like Benteke is. To be honest it's the same with Milner and Clyne, they all look like they've been playing here for years which is usually a strong marker for a good signing.

If Cech wouldn't of produced that wonder save from 3 yards out he'd have 3 goals in his last 4 games. He's quality. What a difference having a real striker that can play up top on his own makes. We've missed that since 2013/2014, we had two then and once Sturridge gets back to full fitness we'll have two now.

• Upvote 3

The big fear for us is that when Wenger finally steps down and they stop persisting with his long-term experiment of trying to win a pure title, they may replace him with someone prepared to address the missing ingredient which sees them fall short year after year.

As a club they're in an enviable position and are well placed to win titles if they didn't keep self-sabotaging every summer.

The big fear for us is that when Wenger finally steps down and they stop persisting with his long-term experiment of trying to win a pure title, they may replace him with someone prepared to address the missing ingredient which sees them fall short year after year.

As a club they're in an enviable position and are well placed to win titles if they didn't keep self-sabotaging every summer.

Who ? If they change manager they could change philosophy and want a total rebuild. Arsenal aren't that good. Man U are an average team. Chelsea are a boring machine. We may crack top 4 this season.

Who ? If they change manager they could change philosophy and want a total rebuild. Arsenal aren't that good. Man U are an average team. Chelsea are a boring machine. We may crack top 4 this season.

I dunno, I'm one step away from going full Manero, I only watch us play nowadays.

But even that fella Moaty shot in the face would be able to see how Arsenal as a club are well primed, if they didn't have a manager who year on year ignores the reason they fail to compete for the title in any meaningful way.

I dunno, I'm one step away from going full Manero, I only watch us play nowadays.

But even that fella Moaty shot in the face would be able to see how Arsenal as a club are well primed, if they didn't have a manager who year on year ignores the reason they fail to compete for the title in any meaningful way.

What are you alluding to them missing Lizzie? a world class striker, winning whilst playing ugly, dropping the 5 year plan or addressing their tin heart? or is it something else?