You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal vs Liverpool - what formation/squad to go with?

Gym Beglin

It annoyed me a little when listening to The Anfield Wrap where they suggested that Henderson deserves to be in the side on merit and that means Coutinho should earn his way back.

It's amazing what one good performance vs West Brom can do for Henderson, and what a 6 week lay-off can do in terms of forgetting just how good Coutinho is and how hard he works to win the ball back.

Now, I'm not sure about whether or not Coutinho is fit enough to start the game vs Arsenal, but equally I'm not sure about leaving him out. Henderson's propensity to run is great, but it's a self-fulfilling prophecy against a team like Arsenal. It's almost like we'd be happy to NOT have the ball because it means Henderson can show his 'worth' to us by running around after Wilshire, OZil and Ramsey. Surely the best solution is to keep the ball ourselves, and that means Coutinho or Allen should surely be ahead of him to play?

I'm half tempted to rest Sturridge and play Coutinho behind Suarez.

This allows us to retain the same '3' in midfield, and also allows us to keep the ball better, and also allows us to have a subs bench with Moses and Sturridge on there, two players with pace that can change a game.

-----------------------The Mig---------------------------

------Toure-----------Skrtel------------Sakho----------

Johnson---------------Lucas-----------------Cissokho

------------Gerrard----------Henderson--------------

-------------------Coutinho------------------------

--------------------Suarez--------------------------

Subs: Agger, Enrique, Allen, Moses, Sturridge, Alberto, Jones

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Against Arsenal we're going to face the most skillful and dynamic midfield in the league. Now I've no doubt Rodgers will play the same team as last week, with maybe Jose Enrique in for Cisshoko but I'd make a few changes.

It won't happen, but I'd start a midfield of Allen, Henderson and Lucas, with Gerrard on the bench. We need runners against them and Hendo can't do it for both Lucas and Gerrard. Stevie's got maybe 60-70 minutes in him - against Arsenal it will be  less as they are most midfield oriented team in the league. I'd rather see him come off the bench when he could really make a difference. We don't have any impact subs as it is, maybe he could be one against Arsenal.

• Downvote 1

We'll need all of Henderson, Gerrard and Lucas in CM against Arsenal.  

I think Enrique is more solid than Cissokho, so if he's fit I'd have him.

Coutinho coming back from injury could be a great option off the bench for the last 30 minutes.

I'd go:

------------------------------------Mignolet---------------------------------------

----------------Toure--------------Skrtel---------------Sakho------------------

Johnson---------------------------Lucas-------------------------------Enrique

-----------------------Gerrard-----------------Henderson-----------------------

----------------------Suarez--------------------Sturridge-------------------------

Lucas to mark Ozil out of the game.  Gerrard / Henderson to do the pressing.  Suarez / Sturridge to cause their back four numerous problems.

We've got a great chance, especially with Flamini out.

• Upvote 1

-------------Mignolet---------------

Johnson----Skrtel---Sakho----Enrique

--------------Lucas-----------------

------Gerrard--------Henderson------

-------------Coutinho---------------

------Suarez---------Sturridge------

Four at the back allows us to play Coutinho without dropping Henderson, who added a lot of solidity to our midfield last week. There's arguments for dropping Skrtel or Sakho, but I think Toure needs a rest where he can get one. We lose out on the width (although both Johnson and Enrique are capable of bombing forward), but Arsenal aren't strong there anyway. The game will be decided in the centre of the park (where they are strong) and if we don't match up there we'll get battered.

It's amazing what one good performance vs West Brom can do for Henderson, and what a 6 week lay-off can do in terms of forgetting just how good Coutinho is and how hard he works to win the ball back.

Henderson has been very good for a long time now.

Coutinho is exceptional, but he's coming back from injury, so that's why most people would have him on the bench and we need energy vs Arsenal, which Henderson provides.

• Upvote 1

Against Arsenal we're going to face the most skillful and dynamic midfield in the league. Now I've no doubt Rodgers will play the same team as last week, with maybe Jose Enrique in for Cisshoko but I'd make a few changes.

It won't happen, but I'd start a midfield of Allen, Henderson and Lucas, with Gerrard on the bench. We need runners against them and Hendo can't do it for both Lucas and Gerrard. Stevie's got maybe 60-70 minutes in him - against Arsenal it will be  less as they are most midfield oriented team in the league. I'd rather see him come off the bench when he could really make a difference. We don't have any impact subs as it is, maybe he could be one against Arsenal.

This would be a bold move for BR to drop Gerrard for Allen, the vision and set piece from Gerrard would be too much of a trade off for more pressing. Instead of Gerrard coming off the bench, i think Coutinho would be a better sub with his trickery and more due to lack of fitness.

Midfield wise, i believe the key lays in Lucas's ability to control Ozil. This will not be easy but from his last match performance, it is possible.

-----------------------The Mig---------------------------

------Toure-----------Skrtel------------Sakho----------

Johnson---------------Lucas-----------------Cissokho

------------Gerrard----------Henderson--------------

-------------------Coutinho------------------------

--------------------Suarez--------------------------

Subs: Agger, Enrique, Allen, Moses, Sturridge, Alberto, Jones

You're a batty fucker, funneee. You're advocating dropping a striker, scoring for fun and forming a lethal partnership with one of the world's best players, for who? Henderson? Lucas? Coutinho just back from injury?

Football manager all fucked up, that is.

I think we need Lucas, Gerrard and Henderson in midfield not to be overrun there. Ideally id fit Coutinho in too, but with 3-5-2 i struggle to do so. Normally id play Coutinho any day of the week, but for tactical reasons i could see him starting on the bench. And also, he's one hell of a player to throw on if we need a goal. Sturridge and Suarez has to start.

Don't you he'd be dropped if he was shit in every game? Rodgers must think he's doing something right to keep picking him.

He already would've been dropped if his energy wasn't so vital to us. I've heard Barcelona are lining up a move for him to inject some much needed energy into their midfield. The problem is they don't have any players who run right up to the opposition and then let them walk straight around them. That sort of energy can't be replicated so instead of having ball players in midfield they're signing Hendo.

Who needs players who can trap and pass a ball when you have someone with that kind of energy?

• Upvote 1

Against Arsenal, Dortmund played a 4231 which is a 451 when the opposition have the ball. That will not have been unnoticed by Rodgers. Intriguingly, Villa’s success under Lambert, a devotee of the Bundesliga, employed a similar formation in their opening day victory.

That seems the way forwards

• Upvote 3

I don't think Rodgers will change the midfield so I'd like just Agger in for Skrtel and we should pray that Lucas and Garrard will be up to it and concentrated full 90 minutes because facing arsenal's midfield will be be much tougher than WBA's in their latest gutless performance. Keep Cou on the bench and tell him to give 'em hell around 70min^^

He already would've been dropped if his energy wasn't so vital to us. I've heard Barcelona are lining up a move for him to inject some much needed energy into their midfield. The problem is they don't have any players who run right up to the opposition and then let them walk straight around them. That sort of energy can't be replicated so instead of having ball players in midfield they're signing Hendo.

Who needs players who can trap and pass a ball when you have someone with that kind of energy?

Well they can fuck right off.  More than a club my hairy hoop.