You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW Golfers

Mathewbet1

I played at work other year. Do a lot of weight training so other managers assumed I was some sort of athlete.

Came last that includes 3 girls who had never played and one lad with half a left arm

Yeh would prob still beat me.

A few years ago I played in my local clubs, where I am a member, big annual tournament. The Local Open.

The Captains wife was tasked with driving about on our only buggy handing out booze. I asked for a G&T

''I ve no plastic glasses left she said but feel free to have a big swig out of the gin bottle (1.5lt) and then a swig out of the tonic'

As I did.

I had to walk in on the second round at the 10th because I could not see the ball anymore.

Meanwhile my playing partners decided that they had to drink a whole bottle of whisky between three up the 18th and whoever won would have to drink the stupid bottle of Asti someone had brought.

Next week I was invited to play one of Scotland's finest with some lads I knew.

Pint and coffee bacon butty before and I suggested maybe we get a bottle of wine or two for a glass on our way around. I was looked at like a peasant and told that alcohol is not allowed and I would be banned if found with any.

One of my best ever rounds on one of Scotland's most beautiful courses but you could stick it up your arse for the week before carry on.

Anyone played Woburn?

Been invited. All expenses. Flight, two nights hotel, dinner, lift to and from airport.

Dont want to sound like a spoilt bastard but do not know if I could be arsed with getting flight bags for clubs, packing and the inevitable pricks that will be there as part of the group. Watching the Ladies open and it does look good.

Yes. I played there once about 10 years ago when we lived in Northampton. Lovely course.

It sounds like you have a great opportunity on a plate waiting for you, so you should do it!

• 1 month later...

I like to play golf, but I don't have the time to play as much as I'd like. My handicap is 5. It went up from 4 fairly recently.

The best golf improvement tip I ever received was about three weeks ago. It turns out I was holding my hands out too far from my body. This meant that I was swinging 'off plane' so I was slightly cutting across the ball on impact. Too many of my shots were fading and losing distance. Once I got my swing 'on plane' (and simply moving my hands closer to my body helped to do this) the trajectory was more piercing, giving me more distance.

Give this a try myself tomorrow because I seem to be fading/slicing a bit recently and I do stretch a bit when addressing

The most frustrating game there is. I play around once a week in the summer and have done so for around the last five years and I've only managed to break 80 once. It seems like I pick up a different mechanical flaw every single time I play. One round my alignment is bad, the next I can't keep the club face square through impact, the next I'm not turning my shoulders enough in my backswing etc... There's always something wrong. For those who are decent golfers, is there any tip that you guys tend to follow that's real simple/general and that helps you strike the ball consistently solid? Thanks.

I played for the first time in 7 years recently and shot 124! But shot a birdie with a 70 yard pitch shot and putted a 20 yarder and they are the things that make you go back. Loads of good instructional videos on youtube and Ive been immersing myself in them before I play again. Getting fitted for a new driver as I need to be able to hit it a bit off the tee to get round the local course that my sons are members of,Frodsham GC.

Nice one Vlad!

Just checked the schedule at Crooked Stick and Rory McIlroy, Jordan Spieth and Adam Scott are due to start at 11.28am. That's the group I'm going to follow. Got time to chill for a bit, have a nice cup of coffee, then pop down there. Mrs G will drop me by the gates and I'll walk home as its not that far.

I played for the first time in 7 years recently and shot 124! But shot a birdie with a 70 yard pitch shot and putted a 20 yarder and they are the things that make you go back. Loads of good instructional videos on youtube and Ive been immersing myself in them before I play again. Getting fitted for a new driver as I need to be able to hit it a bit off the tee to get round the local course that my sons are members of,Frodsham GC.

Don't know where your based but Clarkes on Rainford by-pass is decent for getting fitted. It's an actual range a day has the flight tracker and all that for the fitting. I preferred that to hitting at the screen in American golf.

Don't know where your based but Clarkes on Rainford by-pass is decent for getting fitted. It's an actual range a day has the flight tracker and all that for the fitting. I preferred that to hitting at the screen in American golf.

Got fitted by Graham Tonge,who is based at Frodsham and is pretty well known in clubmaking circles.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 3 wood and 5 wood in my bag neither of which I use much of because I'm not confident with them yet. I'll always pull my 4 iron out for my 2nd shot with I can hit about 185-200 and on most courses that will do unless it's a monster par 5.

I was shooting in the hundreds last year when I started playing but just trying to break 90 now. I've had a 91, just haven't quite got there.

I've never played Frodsham Vlad, is it as hilly as I imagine? I usually play Runcorn GC as its literally just outside my back garden, but have played Sutton hall quite a bit when it first opened.

The most frustrating game there is. I play around once a week in the summer and have done so for around the last five years and I've only managed to break 80 once. It seems like I pick up a different mechanical flaw every single time I play. One round my alignment is bad, the next I can't keep the club face square through impact, the next I'm not turning my shoulders enough in my backswing etc... There's always something wrong. For those who are decent golfers, is there any tip that you guys tend to follow that's real simple/general and that helps you strike the ball consistently solid? Thanks.

Describe a spiral staircase without using your hands; that is a golf swing.

At lease it is according to Michael Hebron in his best selling golf book:

See And Feel The Inside Move The Outside.

The book is full of mind-blowing quips such as:

A good swing is produced by psychophysical unison.

A good golfer will consider the psychobiological implications of bilateral asymmetry whereby the left hemisphere of the brain analyzes data over time, as the right hemisphere synthesises feeling through space.

A sound golf swing possesses inertia, angular momentum and rotational forces that conflict and create centrifugal power.

Needless to say my swing collapsed after reading this masterpiece. However the book did contain one tip that dramatically improved my game: Have a lesson.

I had three lessons over a two month period from golf pro with a good reputation. At £22.50 for half an hour it’s not cheap but well worth the money. The lessons transformed my game. My grip, stance, shoulder turn and swing of the hips are now nothing like the way I used to wield a club.

The lessons put 30 yards on my drive and allowed me to use a 6 iron where I previously used a 3 wood.

I have spent a small fortune over the years on clubs, gadgets, books and videos but three lessons off a good instructor was the best golf investment I ever made.

Wish I’d done it years ago.

• Upvote 1