You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New PC Needed

As the thread title says, I'm in the market for a new desktop PC as this one is slowly dying.

I only need the base unit, I have a perfectly serviceable monitor, speakers, mouse etc.

Good graphics card is a must as I will be using it for gaming, among other things.

Budget is around £600 inc VAT, but I could spend a bit more if it was a really good deal.

Any and all advice gratefully appreciated.

I quite liked the look of this:

Zoostorm Gaming Desktop PC - Desktops | Ebuyer.com

But only a 500W power supply? That's going to need upgrading after a while. And no card reader either.

Found a similar one from Medion, who I have bought PCs from in the past, very similar specs, but this one has a SSD:

MEDIONshop UK | MEDION® AKOYA® P5313 F

Ever buy from the Dell factory outlet?

They are refurbs which might put some people off but I've bought my last 5 machines from the outlet and I've never had any issues (replaced due to new OS or better machine)

Here's an example of something decent at a decent price.

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&puid=89ffbbdb

I'd not considered it actually' date=' cheers. I do like the look of that Alienware machine, I think an i7 PC with a Radeon 7950 is always going to be a little out of my price range unfortunately.[/quote']

Be careful with DFO, there is next to no customer service and warrenty support. Good deals can be had, but make sure you thoroughly research the model on forums in case their are any know issues with the model you're looking at.

I got a laptop from there several years ago. Good deal on the unit, but I did not do enough research. What was happening was that there was a know hardware failure with that model that would cause the video card to fail because of poor venting design. Dell knew this, and was repairing the laptops, knowing that they were likely to fail just after the warranty period was up. 50 emails later, it was pay 500 or forget about it.

Be careful with DFO' date=' there is next to no customer service and warrenty support. Good deals can be had, but make sure you thoroughly research the model on forums in case their are any know issues with the model you're looking at.

I got a laptop from there several years ago. Good deal on the unit, but I did not do enough research. What was happening was that there was a know hardware failure with that model that would cause the video card to fail because of poor venting design. Dell knew this, and was repairing the laptops, knowing that they were likely to fail just after the warranty period was up. 50 emails later, it was pay 500 or forget about it.[/quote']

Wow, the second paragraph of my post makes no sense. That's what happens when you post while taking a shit at the office.

Rather that than you shit at the post office

I like what you did there.

My post office is terrible, so I might get a great deal of enjoyment in wrecking their bathroom, and leaving them to suffer through the smell for the rest of the day.