You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

Well I think Allen is better than Adam, and Sahin is better than Spearing! I also think Sterling is better than Kuyt (we are talking about last year), Suso isn't better than Maxi, and I think Borini will score more goals than Caroll did, he is also a better player.

So I think the answer is yes overall the replacements are better, which would again suggest he has spent his resources well. But again, this problem would be moot had Downing, Henderson and Caroll been able to step up themselves and replace Bellamy, Maxi and Kuyt last year.

Suso has the ability and potential to be better than Maxi. We might have replaced Maxi and Kuyt with him and Sterling, but unfortunately neither have contributed to the goals those two used to chip in, and Kuyt was a winner with a match winning ability, hopefully Sterling and Suso with time will fill those boots, trust in youth and all that init.

That is pretty much the Maxi I remember!

This is true. Remember thinking in the United game in the FA Cup were he was booked for a poor challenge, 'oh, forgot he was even on the pitch'?

However, he was played as a winger of a 4-4-2 which is not his game.

If you look at Borini as Carroll's replacement, then we replaced Maxi with Suso and Kuyt with Sterling.

We also repladed Adam with Allen and Spearing with Sahin.

The only outgoing player we have not really replaced in the squad is Bellamy, and I guess Dempsey was it.

It's not a question of not replacing those players who left, so much as were the replacements good enough, and did the manager spend his resources wisely in reshaping the squad?

My answer is "not really" in both cases.

Do you know what the word replace means?

Promoting a player from the existing playing squad is not replacing a player.

I've been cautiously optimistic about Rodgers for a while and thought hes been doing a decent job. But over the past few weeks I'm just starting to find myself feeling like Bill Murray in groundhog day over and over again.

We've had it for 3/4 years now with managers persisting with things that clearly don't work and making some baffling team selections.

I remember posting a lot in the summer that the only way forward for the club was to stop making stupid decisions on and off the field and stop repeating clear mistakes over and over again.

Some of that will be Rodgers, some of it won't.

But right now I'm starting to think we're still stuck in that loop.

The only glimmer of hope we have on the horizon right now is some promising young talent with the likes of Suso, Sterling, Wisdom etc...

But christ we're all living in fantasy land if we think we can hold onto them if we stay on this road of just continually shooting ourselves in the foot on and off the pitch.

I just don't know what to think anymore. I just can't see us dragging ourselves out of the hole we're in without real fundamental wholesale changes at the club.

I'm not sure FSG are the people to do it to be honest, and the jury is still very much out on Rodgers. But he needs more time and money. He also needs to get it right if he gets money though. And he needs to be the first Liverpool manager in a long time to start addressing things that are clearly fucking wrong.

No more excuses.

If you look at our next 7 league games, you could argue that we should be claiming 21 points considering the level of the opposition. It's our cushiest part of the season.

However, anyone who's watched us this season and thinks we'd get 21 points is an utter lunatic. We're shit.

At least 15 points or he can fuck off.

I've been cautiously optimistic about Rodgers for a while and thought hes been doing a decent job. But over the past few weeks I'm just starting to find myself feeling like Bill Murray in groundhog day over and over again.

We've had it for 3/4 years now with managers persisting with things that clearly don't work and making some baffling team selections.

I remember posting a lot in the summer that the only way forward for the club was to stop making stupid decisions on and off the field and stop repeating clear mistakes over and over again.

The only glimmer of hope we have on the horizon right now is some promising young talent with the likes of Suso, Sterling, Wisdom etc...

But christ we're all living in fantasy land if we think we can hold onto them if we stay on this road of just continually shooting ourselves in the foot on and off the pitch.

I just don't know what to think anymore. I just can't see us dragging ourselves out of the hole we're in without real fundamental wholesale changes at the club.

I'm not sure FSG are the people to do it to be honest, and the jury is still very much out on Rodgers. But he needs more time and money. He also needs to get it right if he gets money though. And he needs to be the first Liverpool manager in a long time to start addressing things that are clearly fucking wrong.

No more excuses.

I agree.

Like you I have doubts about FSG and Rodgers but I really don't see that we have any choice other than to give them both time. I am sure BR will do something in the transfer window but at best it will only be a small step in the direction he wants to go. Maybe a couple of new faces will make a huge difference and turn our season around but I would be surprised if the quality of players we need will be available in January.

I hope that we can see the back of Henderson and Downing. They are amongst the worst players we have seen at the club in recent times. The most galling aspect is that they are both so gutless. It amazes me that they keep getting a game. I am hoping it is to try and maintain some value before they get moved on.

Also I am not convinced by this style of play. It is all well and good playing keep ball but we constantly allow the opposition to regroup behind the ball so we are always trying to get past ten men. In the end it always comes down to someone having to try and take on a player to create an opening. If it wasn't for Luis and Sterling doing this we would hardly have created an opening all season. Having someone like Henderson in such a system is ridiculous as he only ever goes sideways or backwards - always plays the safe ball and never takes responsibility to initiate an attack. Great if we are a couple of goals ahead but completely useless when we are chasing a game.

Brassed off and resigned to a miserable rest of season.

No more excuses.

Sums up my feelings that post.

When the manager starts making blatently bad team selections like that its worrying , the game was lost before we even kicked off , if he thinks Downing and Henderson are the answer then hes losing the plot.

It was always going to be some short team pain for long term gain this season but i didn't see it being this painful , only 3 wins is hideous , how many have we had in the calender year ? 7 ? its wearing so so thin now , like you say stuck on a loop , groundhog day , were all going to end up mad.

If we go back to have a look at our position 14 games into the season since the introduction of the 20 team league this is what we get.

Brendan Rodgers have had the worst start ever and we are almsot halfway through the season. nothing to worry about though.

I've highlighted the 3 best and 3 worst starts.

95/96: 6. Liverpool 14 7 3 4 26-12 24p

96/97: 3. Liverpool 14 8 4 2 24-13 28p

97/98: 8. Liverpool 14 6 4 4 25-14 22p

98/99: 8. Liverpool 14 5 4 5 24-19 19p

99/00: 5. Liverpool 14 7 3 4 18-12 24p

00/01: 4. Liverpool 14 7 3 4 28-21 24p

01/02: 1. Liverpool 14 10 2 2 25-11 32p

02/03: 2. Liverpool 14 9 4 1 24-10 31p

03/04: 6. Liverpool 14 6 3 5 21-15 21p

04/05: 7. Liverpool 14 7 2 5 23-16 23p

05/06: 3. Liverpool 14 8 4 2 18-8 28p

06/07: 9. Liverpool 14 6 3 5 15-15 21p

07/08: 4. Liverpool 14 8 6 0 26-6 30p

08/09: 2. Liverpool 14 10 3 1 21-8 33p

09/10: 5. Liverpool 14 7 2 5 31-20 23p

10/11: 9. Liverpool 14 5 4 5 16-17 19p

11/12: 7. Liverpool 14 6 5 3 17-13 23p

12/13: 12.Liverpool 14 3 7 4 18-18 16p

Guest davelfc

BR: Decisions will have to come - Liverpool FC

"January won't be the answer to everything, this is a process that's going to take time. Look at this Tottenham squad here, we've all seen this build up over the last three or four years," the 39-year-old concluded.

"It's taken them six or seven windows and they've got a really strong squad. We're at the beginning of a cycle that will hopefully take us there.

In order.

1. 08/09: 2. Liverpool 14 10 3 1 21-8 33p - Benitez

2. 01/02: 1. Liverpool 14 10 2 2 25-11 32p - Houllier

3. 02/03: 2. Liverpool 14 9 4 1 24-10 31p - Houllier

4. 07/08: 4. Liverpool 14 8 6 0 26-6 30p - Benitez

5. 96/97: 3. Liverpool 14 8 4 2 24-13 28p - Evans

6. 05/06: 3. Liverpool 14 8 4 2 18-8 28p - Benitez

7. 95/96: 6. Liverpool 14 7 3 4 26-12 24p - Evans

8. 99/00: 5. Liverpool 14 7 3 4 18-12 24p - Houllier

9. 00/01: 4. Liverpool 14 7 3 4 28-21 24p - Houllier

10. 09/10: 5. Liverpool 14 7 2 5 31-20 23p - Benitez

11. 04/05: 7. Liverpool 14 7 2 5 23-16 23p - Benitez

12. 11/12: 7. Liverpool 14 6 5 3 17-13 23p - Dalglish

13. 97/98: 8. Liverpool 14 6 4 4 25-14 22p - Evans

14. 03/04: 6. Liverpool 14 6 3 5 21-15 21p - Houllier

15. 06/07: 9. Liverpool 14 6 3 5 15-15 21p - Benitez

16. 98/99: 8. Liverpool 14 5 4 5 24-19 19p - Houliier/Evans

17. 10/11: 9. Liverpool 14 5 4 5 16-17 19p - Hodgson

18. 12/13: 12.Liverpool 14 3 7 4 18-18 16p - Rodgers

A simple game is made complicated by idiots trying to reinvent the wheel. I thought Rodgers came across as a man that could make the big decisions but it seems maybe he can't. Gerrard as a deep lying CM is killing us time and time again. He either plays in the front 3 or plays as the most advanced CM with no tracking back responsibilities. Henderson would be fine playing in the deep role with Allen. He could do the donkey work and he's well suited to just playing the simple passes and allow Allen play the more varied passes.

Why have we no forward option on the bench? We don't need Coates and Carra on the bench. If Bren had some balls he'd drop Gerrard or play him more advanced and he'd also ditch Carra and give Coates some time on the pitch instead.

I also get so annoyed when I see Gerrard heading off to take yet another shit corner. He is the man I want to see on the edge of the box ready to shoot or in the box looking for a header. Gerrard needs to do what he does best and that's score goals.

We need additions to the squad but we could still put out a strong team that should win games. A front 3 of Sterling, Suarez and Gerrard and a mid of Allen, Henderson/Shelvey, Suso/Sahin will score and create goals. We just need to utilise their strengths.

I am wondering whether Brendan is purposely not having another striker on the bench to prove to the owners how badly we need reinforcements.