You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So now what?

DT

Steven Gerrard is staying at Liverpool.

But for what reasons and for how long? He said at the press conference that he had sat down with his family and discussed it and had come to the conclusion that it would be better to stay than to go to Chelsea. So he's staying because his parents want him to stay. Well, that's reassuring.

I am not convinced that we've seen the end of it and I'm quite certain that should Liverpool go on to have a poor season (remember it's a definite possibility with a new system etc.) then we will see a repeat of all this next year around this time.

"I am 100% committed to Liverpool" he says after having deliberated over it for more than 3 weeks. How can we be certain he means that 100% if it's taken him a month to come to the conclusion. If he was indeed 100% committed would he even have considered a move anywhere?

How can he NOW be 100% committed? Does that mean he wasn't before? I'm sorry but I can't just turn around and forget the past 3 weeks ever happened. I cannot believe that it didn't get further than to the "the thought entered my mind" stage. If that was the case, then how come all those stories about him telling his friends, team mates and family that he was going kept flooding in?

I believe they were true. Steven Gerrard was close to signing the dotted line at Chelsea. He didn't, howeverm but still now expects us to pretend the flirtation didn't happen?

I'm sorry it came to this, Steven. Whenever transfer rumours appear in the future, I will never have the same feeling that you will remain a red no matter what. And frankly, that hurts.

Judge him by his results.

Many judged him for going to Chelsea, he actually didn't.

Judged on something that hadn't happened. Fair?

Now he's not the same and will do something terrible in the future!

Judged on something that hasn't happened! Fair?

No its really stupid.

Stress is caused because we worry about what might happen. Stress is stupid.

If it happens deal with it.

This and all the other rubbish I have read over the past 3 weeks is little more than Tabloid Forumism. All founded on lies rumour and speculation.

Still calling the new puppy Stevie G!

Well put, I for one and I'm sure ther are quite a few Reds out their feel the same way.

Aye. people like me.

Yet I'm getting slaughtered by a few anonymous and cowardly wankers (mention no names.... Scousewegian) on here, merely for sticking with that opinion.

We should have sold him and reaped the financial reward.

Everytime things get tough in the future now, you can be sure that our "captain" will be considering offers from eslewhere.

Almost everybody loves money and you can never have enough of it. Chelsea were offering a lot of money. Not many people can turned down that kind of money. There were many player that have had moved clubs because of money. Even some of our players are here because of money. Chelsea were offering record amount of money and to dismiss it hastly would be foolish. He did the right thing in consulting more people before deciding.

To be honest, Chelsea does have the better chance of winning things on paper and Liverpool were dismal recently. We do not know if Benitez can reproduce his Valencia magic here. At least at Chelsea, they have the money to buy players to do the job. So for him to reject money for the club he loved, he should be welcomed. Now he had commited to us, the road to Chelsea is closed and he has to be 100% commited to LFC now.

He is also human. He needs time to think over and can be tempted by money. Now that he has chosen us, we should be happy and we should also be behind him too now.

To err is human; to forgive, divine.

-Alexander Pope

If your wife tells you she's been having an affair for the last month but now it's over, you might take her back. The anxiety about her straying again however would probably be with you for ever.

To be honest I wish he'd gone, and took Owen with him.

" To be honest I wish he'd gone, and took Owen with him."

It's "taken" not "took" .......... speak the Queen's English for fekks sake!

Something really rubs me the wrong way with this whole affair.

One the one hand I cannot fault Stevie for listening to other offers. Loyalty is one thing but blind loyalty is nonsense, regardless of whether or not he is a local lad or not.

But the three week period btwn the first rumour and today's pledge of allegiance was unnecessary and very hurtful.

Owen's bleatings to the press yesterday were also very disturbing. If he really said all that was reported re his future being linked with Stevie saying or not then what th efuck is that all about?

Rick Parry also did not handle this situation as I would have liked. His comments from the conference made it sound as if we should all be eternally grateful that Stevie has decided to stay. He should have instead told both of them to fekk off and die if they did not want to play for LFC and help Benitez to bring home #19.

Keegan, Rush, Souness all left the club. Robbie was forced out by Houllier just the other day. There was a time in all these player's careers when it would have been blasphemy to even consider them playing for another club. But they all left and guess what ...... LFC lived on and prospered. And that is exactly what would happen had Stevie buggered off to Liverpool and even taken Owen with him.

I do not know what really transpired the last three weeks in Stevie's head or btwn himself and Chelsea. Certainly 90% of what you read in the papers is utter shite not to mention what is posted on forums such as this.

I feel that Stevie should, and could, have said he was staying sooner, that Michael should have shut his trap and realised that he is contracted to and well paid by LFC to play football regardless of whomever is on the pitch and that limp-dick Parry should have read them both the riot act and made them know in no uncertain terms that LFC only wants players who want her and if that was not the case then they could go, and happily so!

However, I will not hold a grudge over this. Everyone deserves a second chance. If Stevie is the selfish arrogant prick that some of you make him out to be then this will be revealed soon enough. As for Michael, he needs to focus on regaining his place as one of the best strikers in the game for I do not feel that Benitez will be as indulgent as Houllier was. If he does not produce he will find himself on the bench, I am sure of it.

For now they are both a part of LFC and I will be pulling for them both to help the team get back to it s rightful place as the best football club in the world.

But the three week period btwn the first rumour and today's pledge of allegiance was unnecessary and very hurtful.

Owen's bleatings to the press yesterday were also very disturbing. If he really said all that was reported re his future being linked with Stevie saying or not then what th efuck is that all about?

I do not know what really transpired the last three weeks in Stevie's head or btwn himself and Chelsea. Certainly 90% of what you read in the papers is utter shite not to mention what is posted on forums such as this.

For now they are both a part of LFC and I will be pulling for them both to help the team get back to it s rightful place as the best football club in the world.

Erm, pot/kettle/black ring a bell?

Why the fuck are people so busy trying to make excuses for him?

Two points:

1) If you earn £60,000 a week and you leave your childhood club for more money you are A FUCKING WHORE!

2) Chelsea might have a lot of money, but that doesn't mean they have a better chance of winning things than we do. Valencia won the Spanish league title last season ahead of Real Madrid having spent a fraction of the money. Who was the manager responsible for that again?

Something really rubs me the wrong way with this whole affair.

One the one hand I cannot fault Stevie for listening to other offers. Loyalty is one thing but blind loyalty is nonsense, regardless of whether or not he is a local lad or not.

Rick Parry also did not handle this situation as I would have liked. His comments from the conference made it sound as if we should all be eternally grateful that Stevie has decided to stay. He should have instead told both of them to fekk off and die if they did not want to play for LFC and help Benitez to bring home #19.

Keegan, Rush, Souness all left the club. Robbie was forced out by Houllier just the other day. There was a time in all these player's careers when it would have been blasphemy to even consider them playing for another club. But they all left and guess what ...... LFC lived on and prospered. And that is exactly what would happen had Stevie buggered off to Liverpool and even taken Owen with him.

I feel that Stevie should, and could, have said he was staying sooner, that Michael should have shut his trap and realised that he is contracted to and well paid by LFC to play football regardless of whomever is on the pitch and that limp-dick Parry should have read them both the riot act and made them know in no uncertain terms that LFC only wants players who want her and if that was not the case then they could go, and happily so!

However, I will not hold a grudge over this. Everyone deserves a second chance. If Stevie is the selfish arrogant prick that some of you make him out to be then this will be revealed soon enough. As for Michael, he needs to focus on regaining his place as one of the best strikers in the game for I do not feel that Benitez will be as indulgent as Houllier was. If he does not produce he will find himself on the bench, I am sure of it.

I agree with you in terms of Parry. He should be abit more tough on thes rogue comments!

At least now I can wear the new Jersey with his name on the back that I had bought! That would have been a disaster buy.

Its nice to know that Gerrard will be playing next season, but I do agree that he should have handled the situation better. I can only imagine how those poor Leeds fans felt when Ferdinand and Smith joined United. I was ready to hate Gerrard forever. Glad his old man smacked some sense into him.

Liverpool Forever.

On contrary to media reports, Gerrard may not had changed his mind over the weekend. Parry said that Stevie leave a messege for Parry to call him urgently when he return to England. During their meeting on Saturday night, it became pretty clear to Parry then that his heart was set on staying. (If I am not wrong, the England squad returned on Saturday.)

According to Parry, Gerrard said that he has been here since he was eight, he always wanted to be captain of Liverpool, he is captain, and he couldn't walk away from it.

Guest Podge

Have to say it was a very surreal(spelling?) moment

yesterday when it finally came through that he was

staying. I was sure he was going & thought it would

have been good business to get £35-40 mill for him.

I'm sure Rafa would have bought maybe 3 quality

players for that cash. Know that he's staying I dont

what to make of it. Something sticks in the throut.

I suppose we'll have to get behind him & see how it

goes but as I said in another post if things dont go

so well this first season for Rafa will Gerrard be thinking

about this again at the end of next season.

Then again things could go very well & all will be well.

We'll see.

If your wife tells you she's been having an affair for the last month but now it's over, you might take her back. The anxiety about her straying again however would probably be with you for ever.

Thats not strictly the case tho H.

What if your wife told you she was thinkin about havin a affair cos of how unhappy she was , but at the last minute decided to give you another chance ????

Would you ruin any possible future by dwelling on what might have been or would you try to ensure that you don't drive her away in the future ???

Cos thats what Liverpool fans have the power to do right now

If we are to use the wife comparison, then I think Gerrard's situation would equal your wife going home with someone else, getting undressed and ready for action - and then shitting out because the phone rang and it was you.

Couldn't agree more.

In a strange way, I think I might actually hasv respeceted him more if he'd had teh balls to go through with it.

Instead, he's shit out and come crawling back with his tail between his legs.

The doubt will always be there now and we'd have been better off without him.

Don't agree about Owen though. He can stay as longas he pleases.

He'll thrive ubder Benitez. he just needs to put pen to paper ASAfuckingP!... or else then I'm with you...

If we are to use the wife comparison, then I think Gerrard's situation would equal your wife going home with someone else, getting undressed and ready for action - and then shitting out because the phone rang and it was you.

Well too keep this going...It`s more like one of your wifes in your harem had an affair... Even though Gerrard cheated on you, you still have Baros,Owen,Kewell,Carragher too comfort you in your sorrow! ;)

Honestly guys, you all sound like cheated husbands! We're never going to know the real truth but as far as I can make out Stevie has had zero contact with Chelsea. He thought about moving on because he wasn't pleased with the direction the club was going in, (I'm sure a lot of fans thought about moving on last season too!) but has had reassurances....and the fact he's staying now should make us all very happy because Rafa and Parry have obviously explained their plan, and Stevie thinks it's a good 'un!

I don't feel that he's done anything wrong here. He's kept quiet for a few weeks so he can concentrate on playing for England, which he loves doing, and as soon as he's back he's put the whole thing to bed.

Rather than have a go at the lad I think we should be very happy that he's staying, without a revised contract to keep him here. He's staying because he's convinced we can win things, and he's obviously heard who Rafa's got in mind to bring to the club...

Happy days are coming chaps, let's not dwell on the fact that Stevie THOUGHT about maybe moving on, but loves and believes in this club too much to go anywhere. He didn't prostitute himself, I don't feel he's disrespected the fans in any way, quite the opposite in fact, and I'll be screaming his name louder than anyone come next season!

STEEEEEEVIE GERRARD!!!!!!!