You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Old Grey Whistle Test

Lurtz

For me it was the antidote to Top of the Pops. In a way I wish they were both still around.

Youtube is stacked full of OGWT awesomeness. Those of a certain age might like to contribute...

[YOUTUBE]Uu6MDdxBork[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]J6v_YJfj9Sk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]TGDQ85Dg-ss[/YOUTUBE]

Brilliant show. First heard the Ramones on the Whistle Test around 1976. changed my life that did.

It would be great if it was still going but it could never be the same could it. The joy of the OGWT was its shabiness I think. No arsing round, just set up the gear and play. None of the showbiz shit we have to put up with today.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

OGWT reminds of gigs in pubs, raw and basic equipment.

[YOUTUBE]246UpBfxg_4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Hc2ZIQ-xp7o[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_duNqDMSQDU[/YOUTUBE]

Beautiful stuff.

Going back a while it was a bit too heavy for me, though even then it had it's moments.

However, when Ann Nightingale was introducing it, and it seems most of the clips featured here are from that time, it was a superb show.

The patronising attitude Whispering Bob had to punk/new wave meant his days were always numbered from the moment this genre became popular.

Just last week that 70s documentary that is on at the moment featured a clip from the OGWT that saw him laughingly dismiss The New York Dolls as "Mock Rock".

Bad move Bob!

:D

I'll be getting on this over the weekend. Have been listening to a load of stuff like Rainbow, Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash and the likes lately and this will cause me to delve into loads of different stuff.

Love watching clips of OGWT and I enjoy the old at The BBC shows that are on BBC 4.

I'm not a heavy rock fan but i have a Rainbow tune as my ringtone at the moment.