You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

But it is a bug movie and the characters are the same as previous films.

Ambiguous Android - Check

Suits - Check

Female Protagonist - Check

Assorted Cannon Fodder - Check

Their's nothing new in this film, nothing extraodinary or ground breaking. So if you overlook the story, stupid scripting and perfomances (with the exception of Fassbender) what have you got other than the visuals.

I think Fassbender's "Android" is the only ambiguous one. Ian Holm's "Ash" is clearly a bad guy, whereas Lance Henriksen's "Bishop" is clearly a good guy. Nothing ambiguous about that.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Fassbender's "Android" is the only ambiguous one. Ian Holm's "Ash" is clearly a bad guy, whereas Lance Henriksen's "Bishop" is clearly a good guy. Nothing ambiguous about that.

They all start off ambiguous though.

When Bishop is showing the interest in the face huggers your not quite sure which way he's going to go and it's only when Ripley saves Newt do you really know which way he falls.

All it's really done is round out the collection.

Ash - Ambiguous to Evil

Bishop - Ambiguous to Good

David - Ambiguous to Ambiguous (via Evil and then Good).

Ash - Ambiguous to Evil

Bishop - Ambiguous to Good

David - Ambiguous to Ambiguous (via Evil and then Good).

Aye, agree with that. I think that's what made Fassbender's character so interesting for me, the fact that you really don't know what's going on there, motive-wise.

That's the set up to the opening scene. Lots will have been left out, and Scott has already confirmed a directors cut, let's hope what they left out and put back in for the next version makes it a coherent movie.

I think he said there's at least 30 minutes worth, so I'd agree.

There won't be a Directors Cut, as Scott has said that the cut which hit the cinemas was his preferred and intended cut of the film. Which is rather worrying, especially for his Blade Runner project.

There will be an 'extended cut' though, as it is clear absolutely loads was chopped around or left out altogether. I know Fox said not one second would be cut to get a lower certificate, but it's perfectly clear the film was cut to ribbons to get it in at the 2 hour mark, for whatever reason (shorter film, more showings, more cash presumably). An extended cut will be able to fix the crappy plotting, shit editing and muddled narrative (but unfortunately won't be able to fix all the other problems I had with the film).

For example, the Fifield attack scene felt totally out of place in the film, he killed a load of the crew and then the attack was never mentioned or referenced once, the whole sequence felt shoe-horned in. And it was. If you look at the trailers, this scene originally happened as Weyland and the rest were leaving to go wake up the Engineer -

Picture37-2.png

Picture36-4.png

There is also loads of stuff from the trailers and TV spots that never made it into the film. This shot of Shaw putting a vehicle into reverse was in every trailer, but never made the film -

Picture35-3.png

Again, I reckon this is from the other take of the Fifield attack scene, she puts the vehicle into reverse and runs him over.

Fifield also looks different in the trailers -

prometheus_deleted-600x247.jpg

Apparently they shot two versions, one with Fifield in prosthetics, and another in which they were going to insert a cgi character, with Fifield mutating into some sort of hybrid alien creature -

Picture5.png

Other stuff that made the trailers but not the film - Holloway finding one of the sacrificial bowls -

normal_finaltrailer042.jpg

Janek shouting 'kill everything! Do you copy me?'

Picture33.png

And one of my major gripes was just how crappy and quick the confrontation between Shaw and the Engineer was, but originally it was obviously longer as some of the scenes in the TV spots suggest -

Picture61.png

Picture26-2.png

So yes, an extended cut please, and try and sort out some of those mahoosive plot holes and inconsistencies!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally bothered my arse to see it yesterday. My God, what a fucking mess.

I agree with what the majority have said about the ridiculous holes and contradictions in the plot and the hopelessly flat characters, Fassbender and arguably Elba aside. For me though the biggest problem with the film is that it's all over the place in terms of what it's trying to achieve. It can't decide whether it wants to be Alien or 2001, has a half-arsed stab at both, and fails miserably on both counts.

I could have overlooked the weaknesses in plot and characterisation if only the film had provided a payoff in terms of the overall story, namely the motivations of the Engineers. We didn't even get this though, and that's unforgivable. Leaving questions unanswered for a sequel is one thing, not providing any answers at all is a total cop-out. If you lack the imagination to provide at least one memorable relevation in a film of this scope while being able to keep more back or think more up for future instalments, you don't deserve to be writing for a career, certainly not in the SF / fantasy genre.

I'm sick of seeing lines like "it's all about how you interpret it" and "you can't expect to be spoon-fed" trotted out to excuse shoddy writing. That applies all the more in cases like Prometheus where it appears the writers themselves haven't been able to settle on what's supposed to be happening. Given all the other abysmal failings of the script, I'm fucked if I'm going to give the writers the benefit of the doubt and assume they have everything in hand. That includes Scott unfortunately.

I assume a lot of this is down to Lindelof thinking he was writing an episode of Lost with a bigger budget. If there's to be a sequel I hope he is kept far, far away from it, preferably marooned on a fucking island to be torn apart and devoured by polar bears.

In conclusion: I felt more satisfied walking out of the cinema after the Phantom Menace.

• 3 weeks later...
Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

Let's hope the shite that Prometheus was was all down to Lindelof and with him fucking off we see a decent film this time round.

As much as I think Lindelof was responsible for the shitty "wait for the sequel to find out what this film was about" pisstake, I fear Scott is an equally big part of what was wrong with Prometheus. He was the one who ultimately produced and was happy with the finished film with all the ridiculous plot holes, inconsistencies and plain stupidity.

• 2 weeks later...

Details are being released about the blu-ray, and whilst there is no extended cut, the disc has 35 mins of deleted and alternate scenes, with some of the names being quite revealing. I just wish they'd do an extended cut to try and redeem as much of the film as possible.

- ALTERNATE AND DELETED SCENES: [34:54]

* ARRIVAL OF THE ENGINEERS [2:31]

* T'IS THE SEASON [0:58]

* OUR FIRST ALIEN [0:42]

* SKIN [0:42]

* WE'RE NOT ALONE ANYMORE [1:22]

* STRANGE BEDFELLOWS [2:57]

* HOLLOWAY HUNGOVER [1:25]

* DAVID'S OBJECTIVE [0:23]

* JANEK FILLS VICKERS IN [3:27]

* A KING HAS HIS REIGN [3:40]

* FIFIELD ATTACKS [2:01]

* THE ENGINEER SPEAKS [4:06]

* FINAL BATTLE [5:30]

* PARADISE [5:05]

Details are being released about the blu-ray, and whilst there is no extended cut, the disc has 35 mins of deleted and alternate scenes, with some of the names being quite revealing. I just wish they'd do an extended cut to try and redeem as much of the film as possible.

- ALTERNATE AND DELETED SCENES: [34:54]

* ARRIVAL OF THE ENGINEERS [2:31]

* T'IS THE SEASON [0:58]

* OUR FIRST ALIEN [0:42]

* SKIN [0:42]

* WE'RE NOT ALONE ANYMORE [1:22]

* STRANGE BEDFELLOWS [2:57]

* HOLLOWAY HUNGOVER [1:25]

* DAVID'S OBJECTIVE [0:23]

* JANEK FILLS VICKERS IN [3:27]

* A KING HAS HIS REIGN [3:40]

* FIFIELD ATTACKS [2:01]

* THE ENGINEER SPEAKS [4:06]

* FINAL BATTLE [5:30]

* PARADISE [5:05]

Looking forward to that scene....

• 1 month later...
There won't be a Directors Cut, as Scott has said that the cut which hit the cinemas was his preferred and intended cut of the film. Which is rather worrying, especially for his Blade Runner project.

There will be an 'extended cut' though, as it is clear absolutely loads was chopped around or left out altogether. I know Fox said not one second would be cut to get a lower certificate, but it's perfectly clear the film was cut to ribbons to get it in at the 2 hour mark, for whatever reason (shorter film, more showings, more cash presumably). An extended cut will be able to fix the crappy plotting, shit editing and muddled narrative (but unfortunately won't be able to fix all the other problems I had with the film).

For example, the Fifield attack scene felt totally out of place in the film, he killed a load of the crew and then the attack was never mentioned or referenced once, the whole sequence felt shoe-horned in. And it was. If you look at the trailers, this scene originally happened as Weyland and the rest were leaving to go wake up the Engineer -

Picture37-2.png

Picture36-4.png

There is also loads of stuff from the trailers and TV spots that never made it into the film. This shot of Shaw putting a vehicle into reverse was in every trailer, but never made the film -

Picture35-3.png

Again, I reckon this is from the other take of the Fifield attack scene, she puts the vehicle into reverse and runs him over.

Fifield also looks different in the trailers -

prometheus_deleted-600x247.jpg

Apparently they shot two versions, one with Fifield in prosthetics, and another in which they were going to insert a cgi character, with Fifield mutating into some sort of hybrid alien creature -

Picture5.png

Other stuff that made the trailers but not the film - Holloway finding one of the sacrificial bowls -

normal_finaltrailer042.jpg

Janek shouting 'kill everything! Do you copy me?'

Picture33.png

And one of my major gripes was just how crappy and quick the confrontation between Shaw and the Engineer was, but originally it was obviously longer as some of the scenes in the TV spots suggest -

Picture61.png

Picture26-2.png

So yes, an extended cut please, and try and sort out some of those mahoosive plot holes and inconsistencies!

Well the DVD/Blue Ray is out now. Has anybody seen/bought it?

Does it explain quite a few things?

Placing the Fyfield attack as a separate plot to what it was intended knowing it had beenused as part of the trailer was bloody stupid. Scott know he will be brought to book on this and if his explanation is ropey his rep will take a beating.