You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gary Speed

Mbrownrigg

I'll go one step further and say that it's a fucking piss take.

Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

You right about this it is turning into a farce,why dont they give him a

sainthood while there at it.

If he gets this third minutes silence or clapping it really is taking the piss.

Okay he was a great guy and he is sadly missed,but for fucks sake lets get some sanity back,and it isnt exactly helping his wife or family dragging this out surly.

I'll go one step further and say that it's a fucking piss take.

Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

As has been mentioned it is somewhat disproportionate to have a third enforced period of mourning imposed on the club.

Needless to say there are other tragedies and people who have sadly passed on and been much greater linked to the club where the response has not been acknowledged to the extent Gary Speed's has.

What are people proposing happen?

Regardless of your thoughts or feelings about having minutes silence, we're only having 3 because of how the fixtures have been done AND the actual timing of the death.

One of footballs good guys has died in tragic circumstances. That deserves recognition.

I liked Speed but our nation is turning into nation of professional mourners,whoever it maybe in any walk of life we seem to have silences, shrines etc. We never used to get all this 20 years ago, a simple minutes silence here & there, now we seem to have 1 every other week whenever someones cat dies. And I'm not just onabout football, our nation just loves to mourn.

So let me get this straight: You can't understand "the likes" of me having some concerns over us mentioning a player during a minute's silence who had no affinity whatsoever to our club? Or how I had questioned people saying things like there should be no football played at all the weekend?

BUT... you think someone "offed" him and there's a huge cover up going on??

Have I got that right? It's just that it's almost so staggeringly difficult to comprehend that I need to be 100% certain before I unleash the full Ross on your weird arse.

You can read cant you? And for the record kenny signed him for newcastle and im sure he would have no issue of observing it. No we dont need to mourn everyons cat who died, you judge it on a case by case basis and i think speed, until giggs surpassed him, premeir league appearance record holder who played with and against many of our players, there should be no issue with a mins silence. Its hardly an outrage but your welcome to make a prat of yourself while pointing out people who may or may not also be prats, by all means get it out your system

You can read cant you? And for the record kenny signed him for newcastle and im sure he would have no issue of observing it. No we dont need to mourn everyons cat who died, you judge it on a case by case basis and i think speed, until giggs surpassed him, premeir league appearance record holder who played with and against many of our players, there should be no issue with a mins silence. Its hardly an outrage but your welcome to make a prat of yourself while pointing out people who may or may not also be prats, by all means get it out your system

Yeah, I'm the prat!

How's that website about your murder conspiracy coming on, you fucking blert?

He was a very respected player - and rightly so - but lets keep things in perspective.

To be fair, there have been just as many posts in the last 5 pages of this thread "protesting" against the OTT respect being paid to Speed as there have been melodramatically respecting or mourning him.

So I think, rightly or wrongly, balance and perspective is emerging. Once again, it's a matter of opinion, isn't it?

I'll re-iterate, this thread for me was most interesting at the beginning, when Liverpool supporters paid their respects to Speed, and then shelved their machismo for a while to open up about their experiences of depression.

As for minute silences, applause, professional mourning, I'm not fussed really.

Yeah, I'm the prat.

How's that website about your murder conspiracy coming on, you fucking blert?

Er its not really, given that if, as i asked, if you can read, i suggest you employ that skill and go back,read the post i made after that post, clarifying for mongs such as you appear to be joining, that i was talking not in literal terms but on the fact that its such a shock that he would hang himself its easier to believe that. Im sure the subtle point is lost on you but wont stop the rest of the world from turning. Oh and your flies undone, zip it up, you wont be bumming me tonite.

For the record, I'm not "outraged".

I'm just mildly fucking irritated.

I'm also mildly irritated by pointless "premiership records". But that's another story altogether...

Football began in 1992. FACT. It always gives me a fuzzy, warm feeling inside when I see the likes of Les Ferdinand and Teddy Sheringham above Ian Rush in goalscorers lists.

It was humbling to see how football paid tribute to Gary Speed.

Craig Bellamy withdrew from the day's match, Swansea fans chanted his name, all his previous clubs had floral tributes and impeccable silences and/or chanting and applause, but for me the most moving tribute was from Emile Heskey hanging lifelessly in front of goal and devoid of movement for an entire match.

It was humbling to see how football paid tribute to Gary Speed.

Craig Bellamy withdrew from the day's match, Swansea fans chanted his name, all his previous clubs had floral tributes and impeccable silences and/or chanting and applause, but for me the most moving tribute was from Emile Heskey hanging lifelessly in front of goal and devoid of movement for an entire match.

Brilliant

Like all, I empathise with the anguish Speed's family must be experienceing. But I agree that some of the eulogies may be getting out of hand- and may even subsequently look foolish.

The matter of the presence, or absence, of a sucicde note has not been made public. Nor have details of the "close friends" who were staying with them that night, and what their input might be.

"One of the avenues of the police investigation is thought to centre on suggestions Speed, 42, and Louise were holding a dinner party on the night before his body was found and a couple of close friends stayed overnight at their luxury property"

Read more: Gary Speed's wife Louise heartbroken as she starts thinking about funeral plans - mirror.co.uk

Like all, I empathise with the anguish Speed's family must be experienceing. But I agree that some of the eulogies may be getting out of hand- and may even subsequently look foolish.

The matter of the presence, or absence, of a sucicde note has not been made public. Nor have details of the "close friends" who were staying with them that night, and what their input might be.

"One of the avenues of the police investigation is thought to centre on suggestions Speed, 42, and Louise were holding a dinner party on the night before his body was found and a couple of close friends stayed overnight at their luxury property"

Read more: Gary Speed's wife Louise heartbroken as she starts thinking about funeral plans - mirror.co.uk

I don't like the way you've quoted a line as if to imply something has gone at this dinner party that's led to his suicide, but the point you make about subsequently being made to look foolish is one I've been biting my tongue on for a few days now.

Who knows what skeletons a person has, least of all one who chooses to off himself.