You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hipsters wear canvas bollocks like Vans and Converse, they tend to avoid proper trainees.

This deal should make the club more money, I reckon most kids would rather wear New Balance trackies or training gear than Warrior's stuff which no one over hear had really heard of until they sponsored us. I just hope the design teams lay off the acid when they do the away kits.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/02/confirmed-new-balance-agree-record-deal-become-liverpools-new-kit-supplier/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2940817/Liverpool-set-financial-boost-announcing-New-Balance-kit-supplier-deal-worth-25million-year.html

Liverpool signed a six-year deal with Warrior in 2012 which was worth B£25million a season, with the club estimating they could make as much again in additional merchandising – making the whole package worth a potential £300million.

These deals are pie in the sky notional values from the press. The contracts will be littered with clauses performances and tv appearances etc etc. Neither party will want to actually be tied in for 10 years without possible get outs.

Can't remember the last time a club actually stuck out their contract for the duration without some renegotiation or parting company. 

This is the way I see it, although I accept much of the below is merely conjecture on my part.

NB are taking over the Warrior contract which gave us £25m a season guaranteed. That contract still has 3 years to run after this season and, in my opinion, is why the deal has been announced as a 'multi-year deal' rather than specifying the duration. Also, the claim that it is a record deal (without stating how much) might be because the terms have been revised so that Liverpool get a bigger up-front amount (perhaps matching the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea who get £30m a year, or perhaps slightly more than those clubs therefore second only to Man Utd's forthcoming Adidas deal) in return for surrendering some of the control over merchandising rights the club had under Warrior. The club might have accepted that because making an additional £25m just from our own merchandising over and above the £25m Warrior were paying was looking more pie-in-the-sky so a higher basic was seen as a better bet. Not to mention that NB have a larger distribution network than Warrior so we get more product with a wider reach. Plus, we aren't going for a specific demographic with our merchandise like we were with Warrior because NB is much more mainstream, so losing some of our merchandising rights is more than offset by having a greater reach.

So why have the club announced the deal with such positively yet much vagueness? Simple. It has been done to attract more and bigger sponsors and more money. If we give the impression we can secure the biggest deals, it brings the biggest players to the table because we are that much more attractive to the money men. The fact that the club has established a commercial base in London makes all of this pretty obvious to me. We are looking to get more out of Standard Chartered for the next shirt sponsorship, or look elsewhere for a bigger deal than the current Standard Chartered deal which expires in 2016. We are run by Americans and American business minds work like this.

• 2 months later...