You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Will you see a third world war?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Will you see a third world war?

Past world wars have been caused by emerging powers (Germany, japan etc) looking to take control of the resources necessary (oil, iron etc) to sustain growth, and the established powers (Britain, france etc) trying to preserve their dominant position. If the chinese try to influence or even gain control of areas which the usa has spent the past 60 years bringing under control (middle east) then conflict is inevitable. All nations know that following a world war the world map is re-drawn- new countries created, areas of conflict occupied and raped of resources. This is why so many countries are eager to get involved once it kicks off (america being a classic example from previous wars)- despite the inevitable loss of life, they don't want to miss out when the spoils are divvied up. A war with the chinese would be unwinnable, as mao said on the subject of america's nuclear arsenal 'if they kill a billion of us- then what? They won't invade because there will still be a billion of us left to fight'. In war, numbers count, and the chinese have a near limitless supply of canon fodder.

AJP Taylor enjoys another restful night.

I think we will.

I've been obsessed with the thought since school for some reason. I used to speak to my secondry school history teacher about it.

I think we are seeing the gearing up to it now, the global recession is just the start, what better way to sort out the economys of the world than a fuck off war?

I think we'll see it, in fact i'm sure we will. Its human nature to fight. I'm 28, I could live till what 80 odd? I reckon we will.

Not for me. There is still no-one that can challenge US hegemony from a military stand point.

d160c8f740cad88bd41656f4e5b6b3ec.png

This is the graph of military spend per year, and the US has had a similar gap for the last 20 years. Even when China eventually overtakes the US economy I think they will be wise enough not to waste it all on trying to overtake the US stockpile. As has also been noted world economies these days are much more integrated. War won’t be that good for business.

There will be a continuing number of skirmishes in countries that either the US, or probably increasingly China, view as strategically important, and over resources especially, but I don’t think they will be big enough to draw in other countries. It will be similar to the Cold War and US dabbling in Central America, China in South East Asia, etc.

Indeed, all most of us are likely to see is a big flash and at best maybe have time to say "what the fu"

It depends who's involved. We always assumed the third world war would be between the USA and USSR which both had huge nuclear stockpiles. Most other countries don't and rely on tactical nukes.

I'm not sure there'll be a third world war but there is definitely going to be some mental goings on as we approach the middle of the century; mostly prompted by the lack of food that climate change will cause. If somewhere like Bangladesh got themselves a nuke (bearing in mind that Pakistan and India will have them in a few years) then do you think they are just going to fall into the sea without lashing out at someone?

Can't see it happening. If it does, it'll be triggered by religious lunatics, and it won't last long.

You really don't think that scarcity resources are a far more likely cause?

Although the US losing their grip on P1 economically would fit into your description, their Military Industrial Complex has plenty of religious nuts in it.

India and pakistan already have nukes Stu.

It will defo be over resources there are just too many of us. Maybe a big war that wipes out 2/3 of the population will be a good thing. I can defo see mass migration being a cause as resources dry up in poorer countries.

Btw are we all ignoring the possibility of an independence day style alien invasion?

India v Pakistan.

Very ugly ending with mutual but limited nuclear strikes and China assuming full control over the middle and far east.

The good thing is that the US isn't completely undermining any hopes of moderate leadership in Pakistan and forcing it down a path where it will become more and more of a basket case.

Oh.