You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Wickham has loads of potential. He's not just big for an 18 year old he's big full stop. He has good pace aswell as skill. His finishing is what is a bit inconsistent and will stop him being a Shearer calibre of player.

Perfect understudy to Carroll and would be a great signing. Search YouTube for his goal against Sheffield United and it shows his potential

I think Henderson has had a rough ride in this thread also. He's got good technique and is a good passer. Can play on the right or centrally and again has potential to improve. The money is high and if the option is there to sign players like Mata and Hazard instead then we should take it but Commolli did a similar thing at Spurs when he joined there with the likes of Bale and Lennon and I think we need to have a little faith

Thanks for that sounds like he is being bought as understudy to Carroll then, which makes sense if your going to change the pattern of play to get the best out of Carroll

Havent seen him play so just taking what you say as gospel

Yes, the perfect understudy for Andy. Will get a lot of playing time.

[YOUTUBE]iIBOvBAl3a4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]rDLcFPa7NGU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]I0EIfcSpL5s[/YOUTUBE]

Cross between Shearer and Nando.

Wickham has loads of potential. He's not just big for an 18 year old he's big full stop. He has good pace aswell as skill. His finishing is what is a bit inconsistent and will stop him being a Shearer calibre of player.

Perfect understudy to Carroll and would be a great signing. Search YouTube for his goal against Sheffield United and it shows his potential

I think Henderson has had a rough ride in this thread also. He's got good technique and is a good passer. Can play on the right or centrally and again has potential to improve. The money is high and if the option is there to sign players like Mata and Hazard instead then we should take it but Commolli did a similar thing at Spurs when he joined there with the likes of Bale and Lennon and I think we need to have a little faith

Remind me how prolific shearer was at Southampton?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Here's a prediction that can only come back and bite me in the arse:

He won't be Andy Carroll's understudy for long. It'll be the other way 'round within 12 months.

Remind me how prolific shearer was at Southampton?

Shearer was a 1 goal in every 3.6 games for Southampton

Wickham is a 1 goal in every 4.8 games for Ipswich

Shearer then went on to improve dramatically which would be quality if Wickham plays for us and does the same. But Shearer had a better goal to game ratio at a similar age.

Different era's to be fair

Who cares about fees? We've got money to spend so we might as well spend big now on players that can do well for years.

Spend big on Henderson and Carroll, ok it's £50m.... But we got an absolute bargain in Suarez. Swap the 2 if you want, We paid 22.5m for Carroll and Henderson and paid £50m for Suarez.

I'm just glad we're spending the dollar. Bring it on

I don't have a problem with targetting Wickham, Jones or Henderson. It's what Comolli did at Spurts, identify young British talent, pay a fair amount for them a year or two before they are fully developed and would double in price or more. If two out of Wickham, Jones & Henderson come off then we'll be laughing in a couple of years time. They're good enough for the squad now and to challenge for the first team, but hopefully will be among the best in the league in a couple of years.

Now in a super perfect world we would also get a couple of top quality players (winger for sure) and we just might. Let's wait and see.

50 posts per page is for Wizards and kings. I am both.

Hero.

See this people? You should all be aspiring to emulate RiS. He knows.

Bask in my glory, for I am a 100 posts a page man. Stouffer and I strut that way.

How are fellow forumites deciding what rumours have substance? A lot of rumours seem to be taken as fact, I won't take any reports of bids seriously until I see it on BBC sport.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Thats it write off a CURRENT Liverpool player for someone WE MIGHT buy

In what way have I written anybody off? You keep on reading into what people are saying and coming up with your own version. I just think that Wickham has the potential to be better than Carroll. That's not to say Carroll might not be good himself. He is, after all, just potential himself.

Bask in my glory, for I am a 100 posts a page man. Stouffer and I strut that way.

How are fellow forumites deciding what rumours have substance? A lot of rumours seem to be taken as fact, I won't take any reports of bids seriously until I see it on BBC sport.

When something is being reported by Tony Barrett and, when he's not bank laughing, Dave then, in my opinion, it's worth thinking about.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

According to this, the Telegraph says we're going to make a 10m bid for Cattermole. I swear that Kenny and Comolli are reading this thread and leaking stuff just to see me spas out.

According to The Telegraph, the Reds are preparing an 'official offer' for the £10 million-rated midfielder, having already had a bid rejected for his teammate Jordan Henderson.

According to this, the Telegraph says we're going to make a 10m bid for Cattermole. I swear that Kenny and Comolli are reading this thread and leaking stuff just to see me spas out.

That's the talk around Sunderland also. I pray to god their info is wrong.

Henderson, Wickham, Jones and a marquee winger and I'll be very happy.

Cattermole, Barton and Downing and I'll freaking despair.

Ricky Van Wolfswinkle is supposed to signed for Sporting Lisbon for 5.4euros.

I know we were linked early this year,suprised we didnt make a move for him at that fee

Wasn't he someone we were linked with when the owl was in charge? You would hope that list has been thrown right in the bin. It's not a matter if if someone if 5 euros or 50m euro's, they have to be good.