You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PurpleNose
A signing like Ozil is the closest you get to a sure thing in football.

You just know in a year's time he'll be worth £25m.

Give him a four year contract and he's worth £25m now.

Based on the fact he is injury prone, not terribly good defensively for centre midfield, not our best option (or even second best option) in the free role behind Torres and I just have not been impressed by him, bar the Pompey game last season.

He came to us with an injury which was poorly handled by the Roma physios (weren't they sacked as a result of that?) which turned out to be worse than what we were led to believe. So to avoid turning the lad into Darren Anderton he got the cotten wool treatment, maybe this was overdone but hindsight is a beautiful thing. He was brought for his passing and creative ability we have/had Masch for the defensive stuff. I don't recall Alonso being that great defensively (wasn't it his rash challenge that led to AC Milans goal 1st goal in our rematch with them in the CL?). Dependent on our oposistion he could eb first choice easily.

You, like a lot of others on this forum, are being led by the nose by the media where if a player is not shitting Tiffany cuff links within his first 5 games he's lower than a snakes belly!

Alonso was/is a thousand miles ahead of Aquilani defensively. He understood positioning, he sat deeper, he read the play to make interceptions (and the occasional professional foul) never shirked a tackle and was bloody good at it for a classy player.

I haven't seen Aquilani do any of those, he's a pure forward looking pass and move guy.

Alonso was/is a thousand miles ahead of Aquilani defensively. He understood positioning, he sat deeper, he read the play to make interceptions (and the occasional professional foul) never shirked a tackle and was bloody good at it for a classy player.

I haven't seen Aquilani do any of those, he's a pure forward looking pass and move guy.

Maybe comparing him to Alonso was inaccurate but all this get rid nonsense is getting on my tits!

Give the lad a fucking chance.

Carlton Cole has all the skill, touch, guile, pace and looks of Godzilla.

12m for him? Fuck the fuck off.

Carlton Cole is the type of player who needs to play every week in order to perform to the best of his ability. He won't get that at Liverpool, so I think it would be a mistake for us to sign him and for him to move here. He has found his level at West Ham, after being a bit-part player at Chelsea. His injury record is suspect and he is very hit and miss as a player. The West Ham v Spurs game last season summed him up. He scored an absolute belter on the half-volley with his left foot and then set up Spurs with a mis-placed back pass for their equalizer.

West ham are desperate to offload cole as they believe he has a major injury problem (I think I was told with his hip, I'd have paid more attention when I was told had I realise we'd be in for him). Dunno how easy it will be to get through a medical or if it will even show up, but hopefully we'll keep well away from him, it's bad enough he shit, without paying 10-12m for injured and shit.

Useless has blocked koncheskys move to us. Dunno what will happen with that one at the moment.

Carlton Cole is the type of player who needs to play every week in order to perform to the best of his ability. He won't get that at Liverpool, so I think it would be a mistake for us to sign him and for him to move here. He has found his level at West Ham, after being a bit-part player at Chelsea. His injury record is suspect and he is very hit and miss as a player. The West Ham v Spurs game last season summed him up. He scored an absolute belter on the half-volley with his left foot and then set up Spurs with a mis-placed back pass for their equalizer.

Aye, so in short he's not good enough and is worth about 5m.

When we won titles and swept all before us, we did it by playing football, it wasn't necessarily about having the big name or the big transfer fee, it was about getting the right player. And what getting the right player meant was someone with some pace, intelligence, skill, composure and diligence, not buying a big fucking wrestler and lumping it up to him.

I never thought I'd see that day when Carlton Cole was worth 12m and I hoped I'd never see the day when Liverpool Football Club were even linked with someone like him.

I thought the time when Souness wanted Brian Deane was bad enough. Now, I appreciate the huge rider that this could well be made up shit, but when you get linked with Konchesky, get told Luke Young was all but here and that we have bid actual money for Brad Jones, then it really doesn't take a great leap of faith to believe this could well be true. 12 fucking million quid for him. I'd rather persist with Ngog and finish 6th than spend money on this injury prone galoot and finish 6th.

British trained players, specifically British players themselves, need a run of games to get their eye in, as they basically can't hit the ground running. That is why they do well and catch the eye at lesser clubs, where they are given this time and room to flourish. Foreign players adapt far better to a squad system. It's a major reason why England struggle in major tournaments.

He came to us with an injury which was poorly handled by the Roma physios (weren't they sacked as a result of that?) which turned out to be worse than what we were led to believe. So to avoid turning the lad into Darren Anderton he got the cotten wool treatment, maybe this was overdone but hindsight is a beautiful thing. He was brought for his passing and creative ability we have/had Masch for the defensive stuff. I don't recall Alonso being that great defensively (wasn't it his rash challenge that led to AC Milans goal 1st goal in our rematch with them in the CL?). Dependent on our oposistion he could eb first choice easily.

You, like a lot of others on this forum, are being led by the nose by the media where if a player is not shitting Tiffany cuff links within his first 5 games he's lower than a snakes belly!

I am not at all.

I make have my own opinion and I think I have said clearly, with reasonable points why I would sell Aquilani, if we got a decent fee for him.

If he wants to be a success here he needs to up his game, as from what we have seen last season and this pre season - he hasn't been good enough, bar the Pompey game.

Barcelona back in for Liverpool's Javier Mascherano after Inter Milan admit: We can't afford him! | Mail Online

Barcelona could rekindle their interest in Javier Mascherano following Inter Milan's claims that Liverpool are asking too much for the midfielder.

The champions of Spain can call on up to £35million left over from their failed pursuit of Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas and they have made Mascherano and Werder Bremen star Mesut Ozil their top priorities.

Chelsea and Manchester United also want playmaker Ozil, but the Germany World Cup revelation is a Barcelona fan and is understood to be closing in on a move to the Nou Camp.

That deal could be for an initial fee of just £8.5m, leaving Barca tempted to use the rest of the funds for a new Mascherano bid.

Former Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is keen to take the Argentina captain with him to Inter, but the Reds are holding out for a bumper fee above £25m and San Siro president Massimo Moratti is reluctant to spend big sums until a player leaves.

The Serie A side have declared victory in their bid to keep Brazil right back Maicon from Real Madrid and although Mario Balotelli is heading for Manchester City, Inter will need to target an attacking replacement rather than throw all of their bounty at Mascherano.

'At this moment, we're unable to make any transfers of this magnitude,' said Moratti. 'Mascherano for €30m (£25m)? It's not possible at this price because we haven't sold anyone.'

Mascherano's Anfield exit had seemed inevitable after he returned from the World Cup to tell new boss Roy Hodgson he wanted to leave.

However, Hodgson won't let him leave on the cheap and that message will be conveyed to Barca should they see him as the perfect replacement for Yaya Toure.

The Catalans tried to sign him last summer, much to the delight of the 26-year-old, but met strong resistance from Liverpool.

An agent purporting to represent Mascherano's interests in Spain has been quick to talk up a deal in light of Inter's stance.

While Argentine Walter Tamer is Mascherano's primary representative, Barcelona-based Horacio Zandonadi agent told Spanish radio: 'The player and everyone would love him to be at Barca.

'We are talking about a fee which is close to half what Barca were asked for Fabregas.

'This is his situation: he hasn't renewed (his contract) and they promised him that this year they would help him leave the club.

'We are speaking about a situation that is much easier than last year, when there was a soap opera about Mascherano signing for Barcelona.

'Almost everyone likes Mascherano because he is a great footballer. Mascherano and Messi are friends, they get along very well because they have a similar personality.

They are super professional and love football, and also their families.'

Barca could offer former Arsenal midfielder Alexander Hleb as part of the deal for Mascherano.

Tottenham's Wilson Palacios has also been considered as a player who can offer competition to Spain international Sergio Busquets at the Nou Camp.

Read more: Barcelona back in for Liverpool's Javier Mascherano after Inter Milan admit: We can't afford him! | Mail Online