You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If we win the Europa we are in the Champions League

JMARKH

In 2005 we were shite in the league, must have been to finish below Everton but we know what happened then.

I am not suggesting it is similar this season as for a start the Europa cup is not the same and Rafa is in his 6th season and the progress has stalled, where as in 2005 you could excuse the league form as it was his first season.

But I think now that Gerrard, Torres and Benayoun are crocked we will be out of the race for 4th before they are back again so if we can stay in the Europa which I admit to mocking by the way,and I have changed my mind about playing the reserves as I think this is our best hope of getting into the Champions League. Whether it is false optimism I don't know but I think we will win it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I never knew winning it did get u into the CL, I think we could piss the Europa if Rafa took it as serious as the CL.

Ye mate, I didn't know at first but they ahve changed the rules, think it so clubs take it more seriously. If we can stay in it when our main players get back I think it will be our best chance of getting in the champions league as I don't think we will do it through the league.

Somehow I don't think we're good enough to progress through the Europa League. But if the incentive to winning it, is a spot in the CL next season, then I've suddenly found a new reason to like playing amongst below par teams in an otherwise average competition.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Is that true? It's the first i've heard if that's the case?

I know that this isn't cast iron, but I can't find anything on Wikipedia that suggests that the winner goes through to European Cup in the next year.

I know that this isn't cast iron, but I can't find anything on Wikipedia that suggests that the winner goes through to European Cup in the next year.

The year we won the Euro Cup we had not qualified for the CL for the following season. After considering the matter the governing body changed the rules to allow the Europa Cup winner to get automatic entry to the CL even if it meant that their national league had more representatives than allowed. However, the new rule would not take effect until the following year. They dealt with the LFC case by allowing it to enter the CL by way of the very early summer rounds.

I don't think the rules have been changed since then.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm aware that there was a rule change as a result of our win without league placements qualification, but I thought the change was just that the winner of the Champions League got an automatic place in the group stages.

Since when has winning the Europa league ever got you into the CL league??

Weve been in this comp from the start and this aint ever been mentioned, either theres been a shady rule change of late or someone is winding you up.

No one mentioned it to Everton as they are Everton.

The year we won the Euro Cup we had not qualified for the CL for the following season. After considering the matter the governing body changed the rules to allow the Europa Cup winner to get automatic entry to the CL even if it meant that their national league had more representatives than allowed. However, the new rule would not take effect until the following year. They dealt with the LFC case by allowing it to enter the CL by way of the very early summer rounds.

I don't think the rules have been changed since then.

Nah they didn't mate, they changed the rules to say that the winners of the CL got into the next years competition. In the rules below, it's now 21 teams plus the previous years winners, they add more teams instead of just telling one memebr association they were losing a place.

Saying that though when we won it in the '70s and '80s you automatically went into the following season comp to defend your trophy. It was just fucking ridiculous that they tried to stop us going into it, and it all started cos of our colonial cousins across the park.

I doubt if the winners will go into the CL though:

uefa.com*-*UEFA Europa League

And CL qualifiers:

uefa.com*-*UEFA Champions League

Edited by The Chief

you didnt get into CL for winning the europa league(uefa cup) last year, so they have changed the rules right now???????

give link to proof

I can't find no proof and I am thinking shit maybe I misread something somewhere. I just checked out the fixtures and Shaktor Donesk who won Europa last season wher in Champioms league qualifying 3rd round but maybe that was through their leauge position. I might have got this wrong, sorry.

Nah they didn't mate, they changed the rules to say that the winners of the CL got into the next years competition.

Saying that though when we won it in the '70s and '80s you automatically went into the following season comp to defend your trophy. It was just fucking ridiculous that they tried to stop us going into it, and it all started cos of our colonial cousins across the park.

I doubt if the winners will go into the CL though:

uefa.com*-*UEFA Europa League

It did bollocks, it started because you lot wasn't good enough to finish in the CL places in 05.

Maybe they will change the rules again for you this season!

It did bollocks, it started because you lot wasn't good enough to finish in the CL places in 05.

Maybe they will change the rules again for you this season!

Listen child, this is a Liverpool site, L I V E R P O O L. Get a life and go onto Bluekipper, they'll enjoy your mongy shite over there.

The Europa League cup-holder spot will not be used because Shakhtar Donetsk already qualified for the Champions League.

What does the above quote taken from the link Maldini posted mean then? I may have got it wrong but I wouldn't just post something like this for the fun of it, I got the impression from somewhere a few weeks ago that Europa cup winners got into champions league qualification rounds?

Listen child, this is a Liverpool site, L I V E R P O O L. Get a life and go onto Bluekipper, they'll enjoy your mongy shite over there.

Im hardly a child at 33!!

Im just pointing out a few things regarding the events of 05 which you don't seem to argue against lad.

Anyway this site is fucking top draw.