You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

rafas valencia buys........

old skool tom

hes bought loads of lampshades here though haha

remember when his Valencia side passed us off the park and we were all amazed?

so you think that was partly down to us being pedestrian under GHs side and thats what made them look even better than they were?

not once have i seen us cut through a team with such great passing/movement that his valencia team done to us.it just makes me wonder why the fuck he hasnt done it here?

Different style of football here. Spain is slow and ponderous. Think of a slightly faster version of Italian football. Thus you can around all you like and play teams into submission or boredom. Its not possible here when football is more like Rollerball

i think in england you can (and maybe must?) sacrifice some skill for athleticism,pace and power.your right about the style of play here,you dont get the time to knock the ball about and keep possession for a couple of minutes before deciding where and when to attack.thats why rafas been more successful in euorope instead of the PL.

i do think we need to appoint a manager who knows what the PL is about

hes bought loads of lampshades here though haha

remember when his Valencia side passed us off the park and we were all amazed?

so you think that was partly down to us being pedestrian under GHs side and thats what made them look even better than they were?

not once have i seen us cut through a team with such great passing/movement that his valencia team done to us.it just makes me wonder why the fuck he hasnt done it here?

That Valencia team had skillful, intelligent players all the park - Baraja, Angulo, Aimar, Albelda, Vicente, Rufete, Ayala... all of which were comfortable and classy on the ball but by no means 'galacticos'.

Similar in many ways to our great teams of the 70's and 80's.

As a squad we lack confident, intelligent players who are comfortable on the ball. The one's we do have have been injured. We lost the most intelligent one in Xabi.

Perhaps that team excelled because of the Spanish speaking influence, therefore communication and understanding was at a premium. And the nature of the slower Spanish game maximised their style and their instinct.

Similar to our great teams but in a different country.

Thus, perhaps we need to have a bit more faith in British players and least developing our homegrown youngsters. Maybe it will take a British Manager to bring that title back. Fuck knows who though.

Hit and miss? Practically every time Rafa has spent big money (15-20 M) he has got it right.

Torres.

Mascherano.

Johnson.

Robbie Keane was a flop though.

but how many clubs can spend that amount on every player they buy?

anything from £7m+ is pretty big money in my books

*by the way,i like mash but hes not worth more than £10/12m for me.

Rafa won the league with Hector Cuper teams and Champions league with Houlliers teams, his own teams are non competitive.

So come Hector Cuper didn't win the league with those players and how come Houllier never won the Champions league with his pleayers?

Credit where credit is due please no matter what you think of Rafa now.

£7m+ might have been big money a few years ago, I think not now. When players like Anton Ferdinand goes for £8m you know something is not right in the transfer market...

Most clubs in the Prem can easily afford to pay £7m+ for a player and do. Big money for me is £15m+ now.

As for Mash, I think you are wrong, he is easily worth £25m+ which you will see as we'll get £30m+ for him when he moves at the end of the season.

£7m+ might have been big money a few years ago, I think not now. When players like Anton Ferdinand goes for £8m you know something is not right in the transfer market...

Most clubs in the Prem can easily afford to pay £7m+ for a player and do. Big money for me is £15m+ now.

As for Mash, I think you are wrong, he is easily worth £25m+ which you will see as we'll get £30m+ for him when he moves at the end of the season.

i think yaya Toure is worth 20m plus because he can tackle and can pass.masher is good but compared to a player like whelan or mcmahon hes nothing outstanding in all honesty.

i think yaya Toure is worth 20m plus because he can tackle and can pass.masher is good but compared to a player like whelan or mcmahon hes nothing outstanding in all honesty.

So if he went for £12m in the summer to Barca would you think we got good value for him?

thers lots of players who he (with help from his scouts) could easily of bought that our not big moneyand who are better than many of the players hes bought though.

he knew we werent a madrid or united when he joined us so he cant complain and turn around and blame a lack of money now.

Rafa has got us Agger, Skrtel, Benayoun, Ngog, Insua, Lucas and Aurelio for less than 7 million. They are players who most teams would like to have at their disposal.

But as usual when it comes to Rafa, people see what they want to see. If David Platt says he´s shit at transfers then that´s a fact. :yes: