You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Albert Riera

El Rojo

Just wondering what people make of him at this stage.

I was hugely impressed with his first few appearances for us, he gave us great shape and seemed to possess an intelligence for the position that Babel doesn't have.

Not so sure now about all that given the last few months. Bar an afternoon against an out-of-position Nigel Reo Coker, he's offered little enough in terms of drive or creativity, particularly compared to the contributions of Kuyt and Benayoun in similar positions.

He seems sluggish and slow on the ball and too willing to cut back rather than attempt something that utilises the ability of Gerrard or Torres to get into the area.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh here, but his workrate seems a few levels below that of Yossi or Dirk - he seems to be going through the motions sometimes with half-hearted efforts to make things difficult for opponents. Arbeloa gets a lot more cover from Yossi and Dirk on the other side too.

To be honest, I'm disappointed Dossena hasn't been utilised more in an advanced role in recent weeks given his little renaissance.

After initially thinking we'd snagged ourselves a bargain I now reckon it's still a position we once again need to address this summer.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does Riera, whenever in a decent position on the left hand side, absolutely hammer the ball into the box? Can't he look up for once and actually play a pass instead of a hit-and-hope?

It's doing my head in. Even Kuyt, who's not even a natural winger, displays a lot more intelligence when out wide.

He's got some ability but not the intelligence to use it.

When Gerrard returns Benny should be moved to the left, he'd do a much better job out there than either Riera and Babel.

he brings balance to the team being a natural left footer which we've missed on the wing for some time, and I think this was the biggest factor in me thinking he was the best thing since sliced bread a few games after his arrival, a little further into his career I now think he's good but not great

totally agree, on his day he has been our best left sided player for years. But lacks consistencey which is a dissapointment. Think he certainly has a future with us but with babel on his way out, we certainly need to strengthen that area in the summer.

I still like him and still rate him and think he is worth his place in the side more often than not. He has been a good signing and worth 8m for my money. Maybe one day we can improve on him, but there are other more pressing needs first. OK, last night wasn't one of his better showings, but usually he is good in possession, shields the ball well and makes the right choice, he can put in a cross and gets to the line ahead of the front man. All in all he was better than I was expecting when we signed him and I'd give him 7/10 for a first season. There are no reasons why he can't improve next season, the pace of the game is faster and more physical than he has been used to and I think we need to judge him on how or if he improves next season.

I think he's a good player.

If someone who plays on the left, and is genuinly world class is available, then get them in. If and and until that happens, I have no problem with Riera.

Its his first season too. Everyone is raving about Yossi at the moment, yet I am sure people can remember the sort of greeting his signing got (and the slagging he has often taken since). Perhaps we judge too soon sometimes.

Not good enough to start for Liverpool. He plays in Heighway and Barnes' old position. Those comparisons are not fair on him but thats the standard for this club.

There's not a player on the planet as good as Barnes in his pomp, you may have to lower your expectations a bit!

He's too 'hit and miss'.

Think he'd be a good back up next season.

Would like to see us bring in a top left sided wide player, as Yossi / Kuyt are doing well on the right.

Riera has been a lot better than what i was expecting when we signed him. I still feel we need to strengthen that side, resulting in Babbel being sold and Riera being back up. He is very much a confidence player and is someone i would not count on to change a game on his own, although in saying that he has had some excellent performances this season.

One aspect of his game which annoys me is when he finds himself in good positions on the left where he has the chance to drive into the box, shoot or try and win a penalty. It might just be me but he often seems to dally on the ball, allowing a defender to come out and meet him.

He's improved our left side but I don't think he's the long term solution. I would sell Babel a and keep Riera as a squad member. When he receives possession he dithers at times and loses possession, probably because he appears really one footed.

He's too 'hit and miss'.

Think he'd be a good back up next season.

Would like to see us bring in a top left sided wide player, as Yossi / Kuyt are doing well on the right.

i would like to see yossi as gerrard's backup and kuyt be back up for a top option. I also think Lucas will play in the Gerrard position at times as Rafa must see that in his future as playing him there against chelsea was a big move

He's improved our left side but I don't think he's the long term solution. I would sell Babel a and keep Riera as a squad member. When he receives possession he dithers at times and loses possession, probably because he appears really one footed.

they say immitation is the greatest form of flattery

I think he's a good player.

If someone who plays on the left, and is genuinly world class is available, then get them in. If and and until that happens, I have no problem with Riera.

Its his first season too. Everyone is raving about Yossi at the moment, yet I am sure people can remember the sort of greeting his signing got (and the slagging he has often taken since). Perhaps we judge too soon sometimes.

Yeah, very true that. I just don't think he's shown enough that we can expect any massive improvement next season though.

I reckon Babel will be hitting the road in the summer, so we'll need to bring a new left-sided player in regardless.

Yeah, very true that. I just don't think he's shown enough that we can expect any massive improvement next season though.

I am sure the same would have been true of Benayoun.

He could definitely add a few more goals, for a start. Has a decent shot on him and gets in the positions.

I think he's improved since the poor performance against Man U last month, but he is definitely better when we play weaker sides and still has much room for improvement. He gets into the right positions to cross, but his crossing is variable and if he gets it right and can work together better with Dirk and Nando we'll see more assists from the left. It's too early to write him off and he deserves a second season.

I would like to see Babel start more often because I think he's better when he starts the games than when he gets five or ten minutes at the end. I'd rather see him start and play 45-60 minutes depending on his performance. Young players need to get a decent chance to develop and coming on with ten to fifteen minutes left won't let them show progress. Same with El Zhar, some people have written him off a long time ago, but in his only start in the league so far I think he did well even though he missed a few big chances he showed his potential, and last night he even got an assist against a top four side. People seems to think all players should be fully developed at22-23 yrs, but that is not always the case.