You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Laptop suggestions please

Sutty

Guest PaddyBerger15

Hewlett Packard have always been excellent for me and I would recommend one as a family runaround to anybody.

What kind of price range and spec did you have in mind?

Hewlett Packard have always been excellent for me and I would recommend one as a family runaround to anybody.

What kind of price range and spec did you have in mind?

Cheers - was hoping for something around the £500 mark - doesn't need to be anything mega special - just require wireless networking/bluetooth, dvd burner, decent hard disc space. They are the main requirements. Also need some decent dvd burning software as the one I was using is a pile of cack.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Cheers - was hoping for something around the £500 mark - doesn't need to be anything mega special - just require wireless networking/bluetooth, dvd burner, decent hard disc space. They are the main requirements. Also need some decent dvd burning software as the one I was using is a pile of cack.

Have a shufty round in the HP Pavilion market mate, 500 nicker should get you something decent with 120gb memory.

The HP DV9705 was on offer a few weeks ago at Dixons and a couple of other places. Has a 17" screen which is better for watching DVD's on...good memory and good spec all round. Dixons had it where if you entered the code either WA10 or AW10 there was an extra tenner off and a good deal where you got a carrying case with it for less than 500 quid. That would do you sound.

Staples are usually pretty good for laptops, they might not have the extensive range of other outlets, but they do good deals.

Lewis's also do that price guarantee thing. My mate at work wanted a laptop at the tail end of last year for his girl, he told me the model he wanted, I shopped around and Comet had it for 40 quid less, but only a years guarantee. He went to Lewis's they checked it out and gave it to him for the Comet price but with a 2 year guarantee, so there might be a good place to start.

Work out which one you want, see how much it is in Lewis and then shop around online and see what savings you can make. You can't go wrong with HP in the 500 quid market though.

toshiba are underated and therefore decent value.

I got an equium with a 17" monitor for £500 and its excellent. Because of the screen sixe its not light, but if you are just using it around the house then its a good model.

Have a shufty round in the HP Pavilion market mate, 500 nicker should get you something decent with 120gb memory.

The HP DV9705 was on offer a few weeks ago at Dixons and a couple of other places. Has a 17" screen which is better for watching DVD's on...good memory and good spec all round. Dixons had it where if you entered the code either WA10 or AW10 there was an extra tenner off and a good deal where you got a carrying case with it for less than 500 quid. That would do you sound.

Staples are usually pretty good for laptops, they might not have the extensive range of other outlets, but they do good deals.

Lewis's also do that price guarantee thing. My mate at work wanted a laptop at the tail end of last year for his girl, he told me the model he wanted, I shopped around and Comet had it for 40 quid less, but only a years guarantee. He went to Lewis's they checked it out and gave it to him for the Comet price but with a 2 year guarantee, so there might be a good place to start.

Work out which one you want, see how much it is in Lewis and then shop around online and see what savings you can make. You can't go wrong with HP in the 500 quid market though.

George Henry Lee's, not Lewis's. And be carefull, it has to be a price in the high street, not online. but they are good.

Guest PaddyBerger15
toshiba are underated and therefore decent value.

I got an equium with a 17" monitor for £500 and its excellent. Because of the screen sixe its not light, but if you are just using it around the house then its a good model.

Yeah thats true, Toshiba are pretty good and have a good rep. They are ideal in the 500 quid area for solid, day to day, home user laptops. The Equium range os pretty good, that range extends up to 1200 quid plus and there are some amazing machines on offer. But these days, 500 quid gets you all you need and more...there is no need to pay anymore.

That is all pretty much standard though isn't it.

Guest PaddyBerger15
George Henry Lee's, not Lewis's. And be carefull, it has to be a price in the high street, not online. but they are good.

Yeah, thats what I meant. Isn't GH Lee's a Lewis outlet now?

cheers. Will have a look at LEWIS'S at lunch today in sunny sheff. Is only for around the home so weight and size doesn't matter - 17" sounds good. Has anyone heard of a case you can place around a hard disc and then you can use it as an external hard drive - that way I can keep everything I have on my existing laptop at the moment?

Guest PaddyBerger15
cheers. Will have a look at LEWIS'S at lunch today in sunny sheff. Is only for around the home so weight and size doesn't matter - 17" sounds good. Has anyone heard of a case you can place around a hard disc and then you can use it as an external hard drive - that way I can keep everything I have on my existing laptop at the moment?

Hmmm, dunno about that, we feed and give Weeksie house room for techy issues like that, give him a shout, there isn't much he doesn't know about geek stuff and Chicken ovulations.

I had a look at the dell site and for 529 you can get a 250Gb jobby delivered. Not bad at all. You should have asked this on the TNF though.

very true, but sometimes things just happen and sometimes things are out of your control. And I only just noticed it is now named the techy forum and not the footy manager games thingy forum.

529 is within the price range plus thats an immense amount of gb.

Do you really need a new machine? If it is only the screen that has died, and you have vga or hdi or something like it out, then why not just buy a monitor for the portable?

well normally I can sit in the lounge on the sofa whilst viewing something on the laptop. A monitor is not ideal with my sofa requirements although I did think about it.

very true, but sometimes things just happen and sometimes things are out of your control. And I only just noticed it is now named the techy forum and not the footy manager games thingy forum.

529 is within the price range plus thats an immense amount of gb.

It has good spec. It is the Inspiron 1720. I have had three computers from Dell and they have all been brilliant. I am sure if you asked on the TNF you will get a wider range of opinions.

I am sure if you asked on the TNF you will get a wider range of opinions.

So you say...or is it not that more people view the General Forum therefore I am being exposed to a wider audience, even though the topic is not what people might expect?

Has anyone heard of a case you can place around a hard disc and then you can use it as an external hard drive - that way I can keep everything I have on my existing laptop at the moment?

They are available for standard (desktop) hardrives, certainly - just be careful when you pick one up to make sure that it is suitable for a 2.5" laptop drive.

I am also assuming that your existing drive is IDE or whatever as opposed to SATA?

Which laptop do you have currently?

Also, for my tuppence worth, this is a good laptop buy.

So you say...or is it not that more people view the General Forum therefore I am being exposed to a wider audience, even though the topic is not what people might expect?

the TNF is jam packed with high grade nerd and they would be all over this thread like flies round shit.