You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BBC headline: DIC to bid for whole club

Neil G

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not.

The thing I want out of this is owners that aren't really shit at owning and running a football club.

It all comes down to the stadium, which was the main reason for Moores to sell up. That worries me too. Didn't they want to go with the ParryBowl? If they go with their own design, have you seen the incredibly tasteless monstrosities they build over there? I'm just sceptical, is all.

We won't be another Chelsea, there's no chance we'll be run like that. I'd venture to guess something more along the lines of how Lerner is managing Villa, like a proper investment but as a football club at the same time.

Obviously the level of investment would be higher etc etc.

Owen, I don't discount you thinking that G+H are the bad guys either, however I don't think they're rich, and I don't think DIC are untrustworthy.

Undoubtedly, the change in the financial world in the last year has made them, relatively, much less rich. I've no reason not to trust DIC, but at the same time, there's no reason to trust them yet. After having our fingers burned a year ago, I think a lot more people will be wise to media spin, and a lot more sceptical.

Does anyone think the delay on announcing further stadium plans might be as a result of the current speculation? Didnt they say that the plans would be released last week? Its probably just standard liverpool "dragging their heels" again, but maybe it may have something to do with the takeover rumours.

They've just released a statement saying something along the lines of "no bid, we're staying here for years to come, if there was a bid it'd be turned down, its a complete fabrication"

just on sky sports news

are we all still convinced they're going?

Are some people fucking retarded? We've been discussing that statement for nearly 4 pages now.

Does anyone think the delay on announcing further stadium plans might be as a result of the current speculation? Didnt they say that the plans would be released last week? Its probably just standard liverpool "dragging their heels" again, but maybe it may have something to do with the takeover rumours.

Yes.

It all comes down to the stadium, which was the main reason for Moores to sell up. That worries me too. Didn't they want to go with the ParryBowl? If they go with their own design, have you seen the incredibly tasteless monstrosities they build over there? I'm just sceptical, is all.

How do we know that they wanted the parrybowl though? They may have done exactly the same as the yanks did, but they never got chance. I was watching a programme last night about the hotel thing in dubai, the one on its own island that looks like a sail. It was sheikh makhtoum who specified everything on it, the height, the amazing features. Exactly the same as the palm island development that has been built. He wanted these as a symbol of Dubai. I think they would look at the club similarly. Liverpool Football Club will represent Dubai. Dubai is trying to create and image of class and wealth, and i think that would reflect in their running of the club. We still may get the parrybowl MK II if the yanks stay in charge.

| the Daily Mail

Hicks Kop out - 'I won’t sell unless the price is right'

By JOHN EDWARDS Last updated at 22:11pm on 20th January 2008

Tom Hicks was embroiled in a £300million-plus game of brinkmanship over Liverpool's future last night after rejecting initial overtures from Dubai International Capital to buy him out.

As he braced himself for an angry backlash from fans over his treatment of manager Rafa Benitez, Liverpool's co-owner dismissed claims that a deal had been done with DIC and issued a statement insisting he and George Gillett would remain in control at Anfield 'for many years to come'.

Despite Hicks' defiant stance, it is understood he is prepared to relinquish control should the Dubai group come up with a price that would suit him and Gillett.

Both men will be missing from the directors' box for tonight's televised home game with Aston Villa. They have been warned to expect the first public show of animosity from fans who want them out. Hicks is unlikely to be swayed by such hostility and will base any decision on whether it makes financial sense.

He was still standing firm when he denied that a family member had admitted the owners were looking to sell and instead pointed to an imminent double breakthrough as evidence that he intends to push ahead with his long-term aims.

He believes a refinancing package crucial to repaying loans and funding the building of a new stadium will go through this week and that detailed plans of the ground, at nearby Stanley Park, will be unveiled in a few days.

DIC officials have held preliminary talks with Hicks and Gillett and outlined their eagerness to buy out both Anfeld bosses for about £300m.

Though it would appear to represent an immediate profit of around £40m each, there are other factors which have convinced Hicks, in particular, that he should hold out for more.

The Americans paid around £180m and absorbed an additional £40m of debt when they took over from David Moores, but they argue that Rafa Benitez's transfer dealings have pushed their total outgoings beyond £250m.

With the proposed new stadium likely to add around 20,000 extra paying customers every home game, and new television rights further boosting future income, Hicks is convinced that Liverpool's value could soar over the next few years. He is in no mood to miss out on the chance of a healthy return on his investment and will only allow another handover of power for a price that would reflect prospective future earnings. It is further evidence of his ruthless approach to business, but he could face a dilemma, given that DIC chiefs are just as renowned for driving a hard bargain and are reluctant to increase their valuation by much. With interest charges on the refinancing agreement thought to be as high as £30m a year, Hicks appears to be taking a calculated gamble that could backfire on him should DIC lose patience and walk away from a possible deal. Anfield insiders played down weekend claims that Liverpool could go the way of Leeds and find themselves having to sell their best players to stay afloat. Even so, Hicks, who needs the continuing support of Gillett for the refinancing deal to go through, appears to be playing a dangerous game in allowing a battle of wills to develop between himself and DIC. His relationship with Gillett has become increasingly strained, particularly regarding the way he went public over their recent attempt to instal Jurgen Klinsmann as successor to Benitez, but he is standing by his partner, for now at least. Responding to a claim that agreement had been reached for Liverpool to have new owners, Hicks said: "It is a complete fabrication and is absolutely and categorically untrue. I have not received any offer to purchase the club from the DIC or anyone else, much less accepted any such offer.

"Nor do I have any intention of doing so.

"Whoever is behind this false report, the facts are that I and my family have always been, and remain, fully committed to co-owning the club. 'No one in my family has ever indicated any intention or desire to sell our stake in the club.

"We expect and intend to be co-owners of the club, and to actively and enthusiastically support the club's manager, players and fans for many years to come."

I love how a few people will just keep triping up with 'Oh no nothing doing, they're here to stay' not because it's what they believe but because I guess for them it's more fun to go against the grain.

I don't know whether they'll leave no or not, but if they receive a suitable offer, I think they'd prefer to get out sooner than later, Hicks at least for sure.

I'm not saying it just to go against the grain mate. I'm genuinely terrified that Hicks is a stubborn prick who doesn't want to be seen to be hounded out of the club. And however much he's to blame for all this, which is 100%, he wont listen to anything other than money, and lots of it. Not a few extra million he'll make by selling now.

We all know they have agreed to sell and we all know that they are in negotiations. The fact is I don't understand why the cunt released that statement today.

Bold - No, we don't.

Underlined - We assume

Italic - What don't you understand about it. Either he's not selling or he's playing games.

We all know they have agreed to sell and we all know that they are in negotiations.

Do we?

There's been no official quotes from DIC, and many statements dismissing the claims from Hicks.

No offence, but you seem to be changing your stance every time you post and it's not helping matters.