You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roeder sacked.

drewy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because, like Real Madrid have found out, that's no way to run a football club. They don't HAVE to replace him with another trophy striker, they can face up the supporters tell them that this approach hasn't worked in the past and they're trying it another way.

Allardyce isn't going to be looking for star signings he's going to be looking for the right player for the right position.

I know that, but Shepherd won't change. However, I still don't know why selling a striker who will always score goals would make sense - especially after nurturing him back to fitness after nearly 18 months out. They will have money to spend without selling Owen and I can't see any manager going there now without an explicit agreement that they could strengthen the defence.

I know that, but Shepherd won't change. However, I still don't know why selling a striker who will always score goals would make sense - especially after nurturing him back to fitness after nearly 18 months out. They will have money to spend without selling Owen and I can't see any manager going there now without an explicit agreement that they could strengthen the defence.

Shepard also needs to go though, as a club Newcastle need to be flattened and completely re-built from the board all the way down to the players.

We sold a striker who would always score goals and put it towards rebuilding a midfield and looking back it made perfect sense.

Shepard also needs to go though, as a club Newcastle need to be flattened and completely re-built from the board all the way down to the players.

We sold a striker who would always score goals and put it towards rebuilding a midfield and looking back it made perfect sense.

Of course he does, but I still do not know why you're saying they need to sell to buy. They always find the cash, regardless of whether it's financially prudent to do so.

If you're referring to Owen in regard to us, Rafa wanted him to stay. I agree that once he decided he was off, the money was well-spent, but given the decision again, I can't believe anyone would have voluntarily sold Owen.

If you have confidence in the person you bring in to be your manager then I would have thought that he needs three years to show what he can do. This will give plenty of time to let him try to build a side and it will help a club from falling into the cycle of hiring and firing its managers too readily.

Newcastle have not shown adequate leadership at the Chairman and board level for me. They have had seven managers in the last ten years. It is no wonder they are in such a mess.

As a club it looks to me as though they want to build a side from the front, yet this flies in the face of all the great football men through history who seem to have built their sides from the back. Building from the front might get you a quick return in terms of positive headlines (and who can forget the euphoria surrounding the Owen signing), but building from the back will reap the greater reward. This requires patience and the resolve of the man at the top to not buckle when the most fickle fans first express dissatisfaction.

I can't see Newcastle having the requisite leadership to hire a proper manager and give him the time and resources to do his stuff and allow him to methodically build a team from the back. Shepherd is a shallow man with a big ego, the sort who wants a quick fix, the sort who would have seven managers in ten years.

I don't see this cycle ending anytime soon.

Of course he does, but I still do not know why you're saying they need to sell to buy.

In reality they do need to sell to buy but I'm not saying they have to. I've said I'd get rid of Owen as the wages and money could be better spent elsewhere, but then I said the same of Dyer and a number of other players that fall into that category.

The best thing i've ever heard from the North East is when then manager Ruud Gullit dismissed the Sunderland-Newcastle game they lost at home 3-1 as "just another game". One reporter from a Newcastle based paper said "Gullit is dreaming if he thinks that this is another game, how could he be so dismissive of the biggest game in English football?" - says it all about them, plus all the fans swallowed it and believed it.

Newcastle seem to think that they are Real Madrid or Barcelona signing star strikers/No 10's to sell season tickets. Pity they have been in the 2nd division/very mediocre for decades. I think a big reality bomb should be fired at St. James's Park.

For me I do not dislike NUFC too much and to a degree I respect their fans as they have had so much to put up with over the years and despite what we all say up there they are truly passionate about their footy (more so than in say Chelsea for example).

The problem is those running the club (ie Shepherd and Hall before him who forced out Keegan their most successful manager ever by valuing the stock market over football) have no concept of what is needed for a successful club - it doesn't seem 5 minutes since Keegan went and yet since then they have had Dalglish, Gullit, Robson, Souness and Roeder - do they not understand that successful clubs do not change their managers every 5 minutes. In many ways I like Roeder - a man of integrity who knew the clubs problems but really he was not a 'big' enough manager for the job as that is how they choose their managers - 'bigness'!! - recently after Brambles latest mistakes V Alkmaer was it? - Roeder more or less said that he was useless and replacement defenders who could defend was the priority. He was dead right on that and to be fair he has played the whole season without major players but that did not stop Shepherd doing what he always does = panic and sack him!! I am sure that given time Roeder or some of those other managers could have brought them success but they weren't given time - they were forced out by the impatient Toon fans and media. And now another media appointed 'superstar' manager will come in - Sven or Sam or whoever and in 2 years time they'll sack him as well.

What they need IMO is a true Geordie to manage them and for me that means only one man - Shearer - they should talk to him and let him tell them what he wants to do the job (its a dead cert that he'd be tempted as he is so passionate for the club) and then do what he wants and give him time to complete the job.

Don't know why I am taking ages on a LFC site analysing NUFCs problems as at the end of the day I do not really care but anyway....!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6632667.stm

"Allardyce's decision not to take the Newcastle job three years ago led to Roeder's appointment but since then the Magpies have languished in mid-table anonymity."

Roeder took over in February 2006. That's only just over one year.

The BBC sport website is usually no better than what you would expect from a sixth-form work experience project; due to the unique way it's funded they couldn't give a fuck about trying to be a bit less shit.

Newcastle are the next Leeds; absolutely nailed on.

The BBC sport website is usually no better than what you would expect from a sixth-form work experience project; due to the unique way it's funded they couldn't give a fuck about trying to be a bit less shit.

Newcastle are the next Leeds; absolutely nailed on.

Except Leeds had some decent players to poach.